Mo: Home for the holidays

Home for the holidays

Home for the holidays

by Luis Molina, 12/24/2006

Just like all the other college students who migrate home to spend time with their families during the holidays, Eureka High graduates Rey Maualuga and Maurice Purify are no exception.

Although their college experience may differ from the average students who don’t spend their Saturdays making incredible plays on national television, Maualuga and Purify, just like everybody else, are glad to be home.

Maualuga, a highly touted middle linebacker for the University of Southern California, will be playing in the Rose Bowl against Michigan Jan. 1, while Purify, a widely recruited wide receiver for the University of Nebraska, will be playing in the Cotton Bowl against Auburn Jan. 1.

And despite their busy schedules and brief stay in Eureka (both players leave on Tuesday) these two college football superstars found time for a little Christmas Q&A with The Eureka Reporter.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about being home for the holidays?

Rey: The weather. It’s not too hot, it’s not too cold, it’s just perfect.

Mo: Seeing my family and getting out of the cold weather. It may get cold here but it’s real cold in Nebraska.

Q: What do you miss most about Eureka when you’re away at school?

Rey: Being away from my mom.

Mo: My family, and pretty much everything.

Q: What do you do during your brief stay at home?

Rey: Hang out with my family and friends and catch up on life.

Mo: Hang out with my family. My grandma just got out of the hospital so I’m spending some time with her and I’ll go see some of my teachers.

Q: Do you have any special plans for Christmas day?

Rey: Same thing we always do, hang out with the family and exchange gifts.

Mo: Go over to my grandma’s house like we always do, open presents, eat food and hang out as a family.

Q: What’s the schedule like after you go back to school?

Rey: It’s just a regular week of practice, except each day there will be a special event that happens. On Tuesday, we practice from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., and then we go to Disneyland as a team. On Friday we’ll be going to a children’s hospital for kids who are fighting cancer and I think at some point we’re going to see the new Rocky movie.

Mo: The schedule’s going to be real tough. I leave here at 4 a.m. on Monday to go to Dallas. We practice at 3 p.m., we’ll be doing some lifting and I’m sure lots of running getting ready for the game.

Q: Do you have a New Year’s resolution, besides winning your bowl game?

Rey: Just to start doing more things that benefit people and become a better leader and a more dominant player.

Mo: Just to stay healthy, injury free all next year and rest of this year.

Q: Any areas you could still improve?

Rey: My tackling and pass coverage. I feel like I need more instruction. I’ve been working on reading routes of receivers better and studying more game film of the opponent.

Mo: My route running, my speed, getting off the bump and run and being physical.

Q: What was the best moment of your season?

Rey: Being able to see my mom and my brother at a game. All last year, my father was battling cancer so no one was able to come out and watch me play.

Mo: Just being able to play in the Big 12 championship. We haven’t been there since 1999 and it was like we restored order a little bit.

Q: Have you signed any autographs since you got into town?

Rey: No, I really don’t go out much. I hang out with friends and family and spend my time here at the house.

Mo: No, not yet. The only autographs I’ve signed is for my mom. I try to tell her, “you don’t need my autograph,” but she insists on getting everything signed.

Q: Care to offer a prediction/ score for the big game?

Rey: No, I don’t have a prediction. I’m just going to come out and give it the best I got.

It’s going to be a really good game.

Mo: I’m not making any predictions, I just hope we win. It should be a good game.

Seems like BC is just making a business trip to Dallas instead of doing fun stuff like going to Disneyland...keep the kids focused and I hope Mo has a huge game!!!

Well if there was anything exciting like Disneyland in the Big D then maybe he would take them but there isnt and that is why the Cotton sucks! They better be focused and itching to prove something to these Alabama boys or we are in trouble. I have no doubts though that BC will have them ready