Maybe..........Just Maybe

While I love Jackson, I don't think he does as much for our offense as Lucky does and can. BJax is a base back that runs between the tackles and occasionally outside. As seen yesterday, Lucky can go up the middle, get the corner on a sweep, and be a threat with screens and swing passes. I look for Lucky to take over the job next year.

i strongly disagree, and here is why.

Oct. 21st, NU vs Texas. Bjax catches the ball and goes 49 or 51 yards for a touchdown, breaking a bunch of tackles along the way.

Hypothetical: if you put lucky in there instead of BJax, do you think he goes the distance just like BJax did? after breaking at least 2 tackles? and still had the juice to outrun all the other defenders?

Doesnt happen.

With his even better speed and equal grit, Marlon does atleast all that Bjax can.

If that was the case, then Lucky wouldve been the starter all year long instead of Jackson taking it over at the start of conference play.

it is difficult to project who is gonna be who using only one game as a measuring stick, especially when one is injured and used sparringly, and the other is the only option there is.

still. i dunno if we were watching the same game. Granted, the Auburn defense was great, but out of the 25 rushes Lucky had, he was dropped for a loss 8 times. Lucky's longest run was 10 yards. Overall net was around 88 yards on the ground with an average of 3.5 ypc. Lucky made a pretty big impact in the passing game, gaining the most yardage of any other reciever by catching 6 passes for 67 yards, no TD's, with a long of 19.

BJax only had 7 carries, but one of those went for 20 yards and a touchdown. BJax only caught two passes for negative 6 yards. not very amazing, but i dont know who couldve done better while nursing a broken hand.

How did this "not very talented" QB manage to throw 26 TD passes against only 8 INTs? How did he manage to throw for over 3000 yards while completing 60 percent of his passes? Your sweeping generalization doesn't add up.

You'll have to "blame" that one on Coach. For all the schelacking he is taking over his play calling you gotta love that he has an average QB that is able to produce these numbers. First and foremost he was the only option we had all season at QB so he had to call the games to keep him healthy. We ended the year with a healthy QB. Did Texas? No and that is what happens if you take for granted that your QB will never get hurt.

BJax is the better back. You guys who think Lucky is better are STILL stuck on stars. Lucky doesn't have that explosion that BJax has. He also isn't very elusive. I'll take Bjax over Lucky any day.

Next year with two viable QB's at the helm I think you will see BC open it up a little.

On a side note:

All fire BC sentiment is complete garbage. Even if you are a pro Solich guy and he got screwed etc etc if you fire a coach who doesn't have his fifth year seniors in to run the system you are retarded and it would be difficult to get a new coach here (see Bama).

BC's break out year has to come by the end of 2008. Even then you will have to ask yourself what is an acceptable finish? If your answer is NC then you are beyond help. There can only be one of those each year and we have a great shot at it in 2008 but I am not going to say fire BC if we don't win it in the next two season.

Remember we are Nebraska getting UF, UT, USC, tOSU, UM etc... talent in here to run with the big boys does not happen over night and we don't have great home turf talent.

Every time you feel like talking crap about our current situation do what I do... drink heavily and find someone's wife to keep you company.

:rollin

IMO, that was the best defense we have seen all year. That is why I was impressed with the yards Lucky was gaining a majority of the time. If he continues to grow within the offense and keeps learning to read his blocks at this level, Lucky will be our best bet in the long run.

I don't think Lucky was our only option. Prior to the game, the team was declared healthy and ready to play. Kind of made me wonder why Wilson and Glenn were not given a chance either.

Both men deserve our praise. It is just an in-game decision on which RB is having the most success in a certain game. We should be thankful that we are able to argue on which dynamic RB to put on the field! GBR!

The team might have been declared healthy but we all know that is BS.

Glenn was not going to see any time with his foot in that bad of shape.

Kenny Wilson has knees that might be on par with Jason White's.

Octo still isn't 100%

Lucky was about 90%

Slauson is hobbled.

Also Terrance Nunn came down with a raging case of stone hands.

Lucky has been tentative all year long BJax has hit holes and created them when he needed. I hope BJax comes back next year. Obviously we need depth at RB.

First day pick doesn't mean 3rd or 4th round.

Sorry dude. Just can't agree with anything you are suggesting. Especially saying Lucky is a better back than BJax. Lucky is the faster back but does not have the same field of vision as BJax ....he can't see the holes. He seems to go down very easily aslo. I am not saying he does not have some talent, but I don't think he is anywhere close to the same calibler as BJax. As far as that goes, I think I would put Glenn above Lucky also. Now, Taylor has been a great QB for us but does have some weaknesses, mobility being one. I am not sure if recievers are not getting open or he has trouble seeing the open man but I think its the latter (holds the ball too long). That being said, Zach has been a great QB for us and I in no way think Cally limits plays based on Zachs talents.

The team might have been declared healthy but we all know that is BS.

Glenn was not going to see any time with his foot in that bad of shape.

Kenny Wilson has knees that might be on par with Jason White's.

Octo still isn't 100%

Lucky was about 90%

Slauson is hobbled.

Also Terrance Nunn came down with a raging case of stone hands.

Lucky has been tentative all year long BJax has hit holes and created them when he needed. I hope BJax comes back next year. Obviously we need depth at RB.

First day pick doesn't mean 3rd or 4th round.

first accurate assessment of the whole situation i have seen posted yet...right on

I want to chime in on a few points made in this thread. One, Taylor does not have that great of arm strength. Callahan knew this and called plays for Taylor to succeed with short crossing and out routes. Taylor did a great job this year managing games and doing what he could do. But there was a reason we didn't see many passes down the middle of the field over 20 yards. Taylor just didn't have the arm strength to successfully put passes on the numbers in that area. That is why those routes were not called that often.

Also, about the Lucky vs. Jackson debate. I would say that BJ is the better back for OUR offense. Which was really a power, running between the tackles type running game. He also proved that he is very capable in the passing game between being a check down option out in routes or helping the lineman block on pass plays. However, I will say that Lucky has big play ability in him. We need to find ways to get him off the edge in the running game and those swing passes are pretty good too. They both have a place in our offense and will continue to have a place next year as well.

Has anyone stopped to think about the following possibility. Maybe Callahan calls the games the way he did because of a lack of talent at QB. While we all love Taylor for what he has done the facts are: He is not a very talented QB. I believe that callahan felt that his hands were tied int he play calling department. If your QB cant make certain throws then you cant call certain routes. All we ever heard was how intelligent Taylor is and i believe it, yet we never heard about his abilities. I believe with Keller next year we will see the offense open up. We will have the ability to get the ball down field and dont forget that Keller has worked day in and day out with Brooks, Henry, and Holt, all of which they say has shined.

Also RB, Lucky has another year under his belt and while i love BJax Lucky is more talented and will improve drastically, and dont forget about Wilson. Many say he is the best of the group and by next year he should have a full understanding of the offense.

On D, well Grixby/Jones or Bowman/Murillo or Thenarse YOU TELL ME

Green/Shanle or (Asante,green,or Thenarse YOU TELL ME

Ruud,McKeon,Bradley or a health Octo,Dillard, McKeon or Asante YOU TELL ME

all the above are fine and a valid opinion..... but will differant/better talent fix the lack of adjustments at halftime? will it keep BC from going xbox with trick plays at improper times (deep in your own end, with a lead in the first quarter.)? will it make NU Dback turn and face the ball not the reciever?

there are several issues that IMO have little to do with the talent on the field but the talent coaching the players. we are in to this staff long enough as fans now that we see several trends both good and bad; they recruit like mothers, the players show improvement throughout the season.... but they also consistantly get beat at half, make questionable play calls on both sides of the ball, lose current players for the "next big thing"... IMO those trends are not going to change until change is forced upon the staff, I am not avocating change but some small amount of turnover will not hurt..... maybe a OC that can take the roll of "devil's advocate" or a voice of reason in Cally's ear, DB coach that instructs differantly (in fairness, the talent is not there yet).... it will be interesting as time goes by if Cally will have the courage to mix things up, make some bold choices before his contract is up or will he sink or swim with his staff as it is. :bonez

Has anyone stopped to think about the following possibility. Maybe Callahan calls the games the way he did because of a lack of talent at QB. While we all love Taylor for what he has done the facts are: He is not a very talented QB. I believe that callahan felt that his hands were tied int he play calling department. If your QB cant make certain throws then you cant call certain routes. All we ever heard was how intelligent Taylor is and i believe it, yet we never heard about his abilities. I believe with Keller next year we will see the offense open up. We will have the ability to get the ball down field and dont forget that Keller has worked day in and day out with Brooks, Henry, and Holt, all of which they say has shined.

Also RB, Lucky has another year under his belt and while i love BJax Lucky is more talented and will improve drastically, and dont forget about Wilson. Many say he is the best of the group and by next year he should have a full understanding of the offense.

On D, well Grixby/Jones or Bowman/Murillo or Thenarse YOU TELL ME

Green/Shanle or (Asante,green,or Thenarse YOU TELL ME

Ruud,McKeon,Bradley or a health Octo,Dillard, McKeon or Asante YOU TELL ME

all the above are fine and a valid opinion..... but will differant/better talent fix the lack of adjustments at halftime? will it keep BC from going xbox with trick plays at improper times (deep in your own end, with a lead in the first quarter.)? will it make NU Dback turn and face the ball not the reciever?

there are several issues that IMO have little to do with the talent on the field but the talent coaching the players. we are in to this staff long enough as fans now that we see several trends both good and bad; they recruit like mothers, the players show improvement throughout the season.... but they also consistantly get beat at half, make questionable play calls on both sides of the ball, lose current players for the "next big thing"... IMO those trends are not going to change until change is forced upon the staff, I am not avocating change but some small amount of turnover will not hurt..... maybe a OC that can take the roll of "devil's advocate" or a voice of reason in Cally's ear, DB coach that instructs differantly (in fairness, the talent is not there yet).... it will be interesting as time goes by if Cally will have the courage to mix things up, make some bold choices before his contract is up or will he sink or swim with his staff as it is. :bonez

it takes balls to admit you have some wrong (coaches) guys on your staff and make a change...Solich did not do it until he had written his obituary, too late.......Callahan is just to enamored with his own judgement and his "own guys" to change up the staff too......all the rats will go down on the ship together, if and when it sinks in 2-3 years...the coaching techniques seldom change, unless there is a change in the staff..coach E is pitiful, just pathetic!