WCO or Spread?

cmb23

I may not understand every single little nuance of the game, but from what I understand the WCO is a lot more of a dink and dunk passing game mixed with the run/swing pass. On the other hand the spread offense is just what it says, spreads out the field with short, medium and long options, opening up the field for a variety of run, pass and QB scrambles.

I know that ZT wasn't exactly the most mobile, and from what I hear Keller isn't either. But with Lee (and possibly some other dual-threat guys in the future), do we officially 'change' the offense for that style of QB?

It would/will be nice to have someone who can improvise a little when receivers are covered or the pocket breaks down!

I wouldn't rule out that BC may put in a few plays for the quarterback to have some run/pass options, but I don't see us changing the whole offense. I think BC likes the power running game too much to do a complete change. Plus, we could still get the quarterbacks on the edge a little bit with them being under center as well in the WCO. Steve Young always had about ten plays a game where he had a run/pass option while he was under center.

I dont ever see Callahan change the offense like that. With a more mobile guy he might use more bootlegs with a run/pass option but it will never be a shotguy spread like mizzou runs. When you get down to it, the WCO can 'spread' the feild with WRs and it can also do power running, something that the spreads tend to have issues with.

Totally agree, I think if anything he will put in some more bootlegs so if everyone is covered he can make something happen with his legs. In my opinion the west coast offense has everything. You can pound the ball, inside or outside, swing passes, you can do short passes all the way down the field, intermediate passes, and then like sometimes we saw this year we can go deep. In my opinion I think the west coast offense is the most effective offense there is. That is of course when the team is doing what theyre supposed to be doing. A lot of times this year I think we tried to go deep but something always happened, either pass pro broke down or the receiver couldnt get off the line fast enough, didnt run a good route, whatever it was, but we tried. The most recent memory was hardy tried to run an out and up in the cotton bowl and pass pro broke down in about two seconds.

I'm okay with the WCO. I would minimize a lot of the shifting and shorten up the play info ("Duck-Duck-Right, Shizzle-Tug Blue-54 Z-Aligator Toasted Almond on two"). They're no longer in HS but not in the NFL.

The "spread offense" is what you see Texas, OU, Mizzou, etc, play. A lot of shotgun QB reads for running plays. Short slant passes. Ocassional one back set. 3-4 recievers spread out.