Petrino to Hotlanta

huskerhaze

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach, according to a Louisville source.

The Cardinals have a previously scheduled 9 p.m. ET team meeting at which Petrino will tell his players, the source said. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that an NFL source also confirmed the hiring.

"I'm in shock right now," Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody told ESPN's Joe Schad Sunday night. "I'm about to walk into a team meeting right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

An announcement from the Falcons could come Monday. ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported earlier Sunday evening that the Falcons were in deep negotiations with Petrino.

Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Louisville had just completed a 12-1 season climaxed by their first BCS bowl victory, over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. Petrino's record was 41-9 at Louisville, as he elevated the program into an annual national contender.

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.

Surprised but not really...Petrino seems to be a guy who strikes when the iron is hot and he did it here. I'm not so sure what he will be able to do with Atlanta. If he gets beat a few years in a row, I see him coming back to college. If he starts building there then maybe he is there a long time...I don't know on this one...we'll have to see but I would not be surprised to see him back in college some day.

Castille should be happy he kept his commit to us. Only other recruit who I can think of is O-Lineman Gerald Parker who chose Louisville over us...maybe we need to give him a call! It's likely much of the Louisville staff will go with Petrino or move elsewhere (new coach is going to want to bring in his own people, etc.).

EDIT: Went back to the recruiting board on Parker. He did have high interest in us. I forgot he was JUCO so not sure if he'd have 3 years or just 2 years. We have 2 OL high school recruits coming this year (maybe need one more?) and also have the 2 OL recruits listed for 2008...