Osborne says he would have coached another five years...

Am I the only guy here that remembers TO almost taking the Houston job after he retired? The reason he said no is because Nancy said no way she would move to Texas. Even though he probably spent more time away from his family as a polititian, he promised something to Frank and kept his end of the deal, unforturnately for Frank, he didn't. When Bill Callahan and his staff win their first National Title, I will puke if i see Osbornes face on TV afterwards, BC has done nothing but extend his hand to TO and TO does nothing but diss him and the NU program right now. Charlie McBride has no problem with the new regime, but TO does. Too bad for him, he should get over the Frank fiasco(that was HIS pick), and get on the train, because diehard NU fans like myself are pretty tired of TO holding a grudge. I think Nebraskasan's felt the same during the election.........................Get over it TOM!

Ya old Tom with his loyalty, promise keeping, trying to mainatain one of the most dominant football traditions intact .........what was he thinking?????.....LOL :sarcasm

Tom Osbrone was a devout christian, a loyal friend, integrity unmatched by few in the game today, but that is not what made him great and that is not what has placed him next to the Almighty here in huskerland.

He was a great psychologist and he was genuine.....he kept his word!! Here is the real kicker...he genuinely cared for his players. He got the players so inspired that one would need a cattle prod and a muzzle just to to get near him after a halftime talk.....but he never yelled...... never used profanity....never put a player down. Always stuck by a player and kept his word almost to his his own detriment. He made players with almost no family structure love him like a father and put their hearts and souls into games and practices, go to church, read scripture...sure he had failures but he had many succeses.

He was a great motivator of young men just ask anyone who played for him ask anyone who participated in the grueling training and practice but then afterward Tom would come up and put his arm around you and tell you good job, good block, great intensity and some how that made the pain and fatigue a little more bearable.

Sad thing is if he would have been 5-6 for 4 years in the nineties would we be talkin about him or buying his book??

In Summary rsd you probaly could'nt even carry Tom's Jock strap....so ease up on the man for caring about the people he worked with and made promises to, be wiped away and thrown out in one swipe, by old stevie p. . Don't fault a man for having integrity and a strong belief in keeping one's word.

This reminds me of a time when the Huskers had a lousy 1st half and the coach came in the lockeroom red as a beet madder than all get out. After the game (which we won) one of the players said that was the maddest they had ever seen him get. That he even used the "DG" word, which really got the press attention. Then the player goes yeah... he used the dadgummit on us a few times. When he does that you know he is not happy and he got our full attention then...

Husker Jimmy, I loved TO, but i have never bought or read one of his books, read Bob Devaney's book that came out in like 1980, thats a good book. TO might be a good friend and a Christian, but then why is he turning his cheek on Bill Callahan and his staff? TO is stilled pissed that he is not the Athletic Director at NU, and that is a fact. I've moved on, he should also. He just won't admit that Frank Solich was the WRONG choice. It was all his own fault, he should get over it!

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread so I don't know that it will be read or not but having a sense of Osborne's character and views on leadership his "distance" isn't dissing but giving current coaches a chance to put their stamp on the program without having to deal with his "shadow". He was not all that overtly present when Solich was coaching either. For some people the perceived approval/disapproval of Osborne on who ever is coaching would carry a lot of weight.

This is an old thread so I don't know that it will be read or not but having a sense of Osborne's character and views on leadership his "distance" isn't dissing but giving current coaches a chance to put their stamp on the program without having to deal with his "shadow". He was not all that overtly present when Solich was coaching either. For some people the perceived approval/disapproval of Osborne on who ever is coaching would carry a lot of weight.

Great post and interesting perspective. :thumbs

too bad he is helping out with all of the Creighton caoches, but not Nebraska, I am blaming Pederson for that

???

You are really really reaching there buddy.

For future reference in arguing with you, please submit the Athletic Director's of which you speak who are not sleazy.

too bad he is helping out with all of the Creighton caoches, but not Nebraska, I am blaming Pederson for that

Yeah, he is going to help take Creighton's football program to new heights. :sarcasm

he is helping out all of their coaches, basketball, baseball, he goes there usually once a week and if a coach needs help they can come to talk to him

Yeah, he is going to help take Creighton's football program to new heights. :sarcasm

he is helping out all of their coaches, basketball, baseball, he goes there usually once a week and if a coach needs help they can come to talk to him

Hey I'm talking to you...... Please tell me why Pederson is more sleazy than any other AD and why he ran TO off to Creighton please....

That really doesn't make any sense.

If the coaching staff wanted to get together with Osborne, all they'd have to do was ask. Apparently they don't. Besides, do you know what kind of sh#t storm that would brew up? You'd have all the brainiac's in the state saying "OMG SEE THEY CAN'T COACH THEY GOTTA HAVE OL' TOMMY BOY IN THERE@Q!@@@!@!"