Life Lessons

Irregular News for 01.19.07

Groveland, FL -- A Groveland man explained to WESH 2 News how an eye-for-an-eye style of parenting landed him in jail.

Teorry Henderson, 23, told WESH 2 that he shot his 4-year-old son with a BB gun as punishment after the boy first shot his sister with the gun.

Henderson said that sitting in jail has given him plenty of time to think about his parenting practices. He admitted that he turned a BB gun on his son and shot him. He said he wasn't trying to hurt him; he just wanted to teach him a lesson.

Henderson is facing felony child abuse charges.

Henderson lives in the Sun Village Apartments in Groveland with his girlfriend and their two children. He said his son got the BB gun out of a bedroom closet and shot his 2-year-old sister while playing around.

So, to show the boy what it felt like, Henderson said he shot him.

"I made him take off his shirt and I shot him. When I shot him, I think two or three pellets came out," Henderson said. "It was just to punish him, a method I used to punish him. I didn't want to whoop him."

At school, the preschooler talked about getting shot by his dad. His teacher called police.

"There was marks on his neck and a couple on his body. It did appear that he was shot," said Detective Eddie McConell of the Groveland Police Department.

Police said they fear that the boy's injuries could have been worse. The Florida Department of Children and Families is investigating.

"That's my biggest fear that my kids might be taken away from me," Henderson said.

"We take it very seriously. Sure, it's not the way you handle things. You can't teach your kids today that violence takes care of violence," McConell said.

Henderson said he was trying to teach his son a lesson, but he is the one who learned something.

"I regret that I did it. I don't regret for punishing him, but I regret the way that I punished him," Henderson said. "All I can say is I'm sorry."

He is being held in jail on $5,000 bond. If convicted on the charges, he could spend up to 30 years in prison.

source

so since the dad is being charged with felony child abuse, is the 4 year old being charged felony assault, using a weapon to commit a felony, and domestic abuse for shooting the 2 year old?

i remember the chicken games also, and bb gun wars

i dont remember any of us getting eyes shot out

maybe that explains why i joined the Army