Things to Improve On

I am so sick of reading about how Lucky and Glenn are bad blockers...neither of the two did a bad job of blocking.

Yes...Lucky isn't one to run up at a LB and hit him...he isnt going to...he will get in their way though.

Glenn missed 1 block all year...yes one other time his man got past...but was tripped up and didnt make the play (really hate hearing how he cant block...97% of the time he was in, he got the ball).

Wilson...horrible blocker.

I am so sick of reading about how Lucky and Glenn are bad blockers...neither of the two did a bad job of blocking.

Yes...Lucky isn't one to run up at a LB and hit him...he isnt going to...he will get in their way though.

Glenn missed 1 block all year...yes one other time his man got past...but was tripped up and didnt make the play (really hate hearing how he cant block...97% of the time he was in, he got the ball).

Wilson...horrible blocker.

So is that the mark of a truly great blocker if he won't hit a LB but will at least get in their way? :sarcasm

Never said he was a "truly great blocker"...I never even said he was good...I just said he didnt do too bad of a job.

I know Glenn will go head up with a LB though, he thrives on it.

"The No. 1 thing we look for in our I-backs is pass protection and then protecting the rock, and those can go either way. Everybody who's played for me knows that if you put the ball on the ground and you can't protect the passer, you're not going to play. Period." Coach Randy Jordan on his I-Backs @ NEBRASKA.

I certainly agree with your comment about Glenn but, given the above quote (I took from someone's signature on this board), it kind of makes you wonder what the coaches are thinking is adequate pass protection if they are playing a RB that just "gets in the way".

:bonez

I'm not sure many expected BJAX to leap Lucky, Glen and Wilson. I know I didnt.

<---this guy did. Im not an expert, or even an amateur, im just a fanatic, but BJax got quite a few carries as a freshman and i liked what i saw.

on a side note, I think Glenn will overtake Lucky. Glenn has treetrunks for legs and just looks like he has fire when he runs. We dont see Glenn's moves because he was mostly utilized in short yardage situations. What sucks for Glenn is that teams picked up on how we utilize our different backs and when Glenn was in the defense would stack the box thinking it was a running play. Towards the latter half of the season we tried to bluff with Glenn in as a pass blocker in the backfield. Glenn has great strength, and with improved technique, will be a great blocker in the backfield.

Will he lose his strength if he loses weight? thats what i am wondering. heres to hoping he doesnt.

I think Barrett was better than Bo but i never thought Barrett was all that good. When he got drafted as high as he did i was shocked but he has really turned out to be just another nfl player nothing special at all.

It sounds funny but im being serious when i say that 80% of Bo's tackles are from piling on

You can't be serious. I was in the stands at the Colorado game 2004. Barret was the only one "playing" in that whole game on defense. He is not all that fast, but he has football speed. He was always in good position to make plays, and was very physical. I suppose leading the team in tackles, and having football pedigree in your blood, being drafted etc...means you aren't that good.

ARE YOU KIDDING?

I think Barrett was better than Bo but i never thought Barrett was all that good. When he got drafted as high as he did i was shocked but he has really turned out to be just another nfl player nothing special at all.

It sounds funny but im being serious when i say that 80% of Bo's tackles are from piling on

You can't be serious. I was in the stands at the Colorado game 2004. Barret was the only one "playing" in that whole game on defense. He is not all that fast, but he has football speed. He was always in good position to make plays, and was very physical. I suppose leading the team in tackles, and having football pedigree in your blood, being drafted etc...means you aren't that good.

ARE YOU KIDDING?

He lost me on that one also. <_<

Same here.

BC says he is the real deal, who am It to question. I just hate that little stutter step he always seems to make when running inside. Open field he is impressive, but just goes down a little too easy. With experience he may just prove me wrong. I certainly would be the first to scream it from the rafters if so.

The WCO make stutter steps a necessity for successful RBs. It's how they find the hole or lanes as the blocking develops and then get there. But ML seems to be tentative in deciding to commit to a lane. If he'd just use his speed to get there, he probably be through the DL and LBs. This is a matter of experience and he will get better. IMHO.

:corndance

Same here.

BC says he is the real deal, who am It to question. I just hate that little stutter step he always seems to make when running inside. Open field he is impressive, but just goes down a little too easy. With experience he may just prove me wrong. I certainly would be the first to scream it from the rafters if so.

The WCO make stutter steps a necessity for successful RBs. It's how they find the hole or lanes as the blocking develops and then get there. But ML seems to be tentative in deciding to commit to a lane. If he'd just use his speed to get there, he probably be through the DL and LBs. This is a matter of experience and he will get better. IMHO.

:corndance

yep, now that he and cally have had their "conference"......Marlon has his whole future laid out for him...and now he will instantly play better....but don't ask him to tote the rock 20-30 times per game every week......wouldn't want to work him too hard now.......

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky- hit the hole harder. Keep practicing running routes and possibly add a few more into your arsenal. Possbily get stronger so that your back holds up next year and you can take the pounding if you have to carry the rock 20+ times a game. Work on blitz pickups and recongize when to block or release into open area. Work with Keller in the passing game.

Glenn- keep learning the playbook. Possibly work in the weight room to get quicker and faster. Work on hitting the hole hard so that you are the short yardage and goal line back next year. Get healthy. Don't give the coaches a reason to not play you. Work on blitz pickups and recieving out of the backfield. Possibly learn some fullback so that we can get two quality backs on the field together. Work with Keller in the passing game. Get healthy.

Wilson- practice hanging on to the football. Learn the playbook. Work on recognizing blitzes and picking them up in blocking. Also, work on catching the football to become an all around back. Keep running people over. Work with Keller in the passing game.

Castille- learn the playbook. Possibly learn the fullback position too. Show the coaches why you want to be an everydown back. Learn pass blocking and recieving out of the backfield. Play Hard.

Other backs- learn the playbook. Contribute on special teams to get a feel for the speed of the game. Run hard. Learn the blitz pickups and routes out of the backfield. A few need to learn and master the fullback position. Might be the best and quickest way to see the field for the Cornhuskers.

These are just my thoughts on what they need to work on over the offseason. Please feel free to say what you think they need to work and improve on.

Gamecocks did his homework