State of the Huskers

Callahan's '06 campaign promising, but Big 12 pressure looms

A brisk Saturday afternoon at Lincoln Memorial Stadium packed with 80,000 fans clad in scarlet and cream. Seventy-five years of tradition. The loyalty of a state.

Bill Callahan took a promotion when he assumed the reins of the head coaching job at Nebraska three years ago, and now the pressure is really on. Sure, Callahan was on the verge of winning a Super Bowl during his tenure with the NFL's Oakland Raiders earlier this decade. At Nebraska, though, coaches become legends. Coaches become congressmen.

When Callahan arrived at Nebraska, the team was down on its luck. Since, he's gotten the Huskers to the Big 12 Championship game, respected again in college football circles. He's also begun the tough transition to a West Coast offense from one of the most heralded running games in college football history. However, Nebraska fans aren't an easily satisfied bunch. No, sir, they demand more. So what now?

Callahan is dealing with the same challenge that every coach, young or old, with or without experience, is facing in the 21st century of college football -- coordinating effective recruiting into a cohesive team that will win football games.

When Frank Solich took over for the legendary Tom Osborne in 1998, he was given a roster loaded with the best talent in the country. Promising to keep a rich tradition of smash-mouth defense and a grinding running game, Solich was doomed for failure when Big 12 teams like Oklahoma and Texas again rose to prominence with their newly modified offenses, heavily incorporating passing into their playbooks.

With the new look Big 12 and Solich's massive failure as a recruiter, it was time for a new guy in town. Enter Callahan in 2004. His roster wasn't blessed with the same talent that Solich's late '90s programs had, and the transition to a West Coast offense from a tough ground game is about as tricky as it gets in college football.

Nonetheless, Nebraska heads into the 2007 season with a promising 15th overall ranking, but the team has a challenging schedule that includes eight 2006 bowl teams. The '07 campaign is one Callahan must embrace. He has the opportunity to make a big-time stand and win the Big 12.

With Arizona State transfer Sam Keller helming the quarterback position, the Huskers' offense is primed to put up some huge numbers next season. The defense remains the enormous X-factor -- replacing future NFL DEs Adam Carriker and Jay Moore is no easy task -- and improvements in a spotty secondary are a must. However, if Callahan and the Huskers were to succeed next season in winning their conference, it would put the coach right on schedule with his contract and expectations.

Just as vivid as gameday red in Lincoln, Callahan's work will be cut out for him soon. The pressure to conquer the Big 12 is officially on.

Great article................Next season is going to be a great season and I really like our chances of winning the Big XII and going to a BCS game. I think if we can get out of our own way and make adjustments in the second half we really are going to be a team to reckon with. It's an exciting time to be a Husker!!!! :bonez

year 4 and year 5, show me the money!

:yeah

The next two years should tell us if the experiment worked. What's the metric though?? I don't see a NC on the horizen. For me finishing in the top 10 after beating a number of elite schools would be great. Heck, next year I'd almost be happy to see us play 4 quarters.

A concern. How do we keep up good recruiting with year 5 of BC's contract looming? Won't kids start to fear that a big shake-up could be on the horizen??

they better give Busch and Gilmore a raise. A Lot of people hate Busch as a coach, but they obviously have no idea what he has to work with (let me make it simple, a whole lot of nothing), but he is our best recruiter.

Gilmore has made great progress with our WR's. take a look back to the first couple of years and look at our WRs now. its almost night and day, but there is still quite a ways to go.

Wags has made great progress with the o-line. it was a huge step up from the line in 05.

Coach Jordan's RB's have done well too. Brandon Jackson will be the first of Coach Jordan's rb's drafted, but at least Porkchop was signed after going undrafted.

Overall, win the Big XII first, then talk about extensions :D

Overall, win the Big XII first, then talk about extensions :D

Don't think the decision can be based on a single game, i.e. B12 championship. It would be theoretically possible to go undefeated during the regular season and loose the championship. That would suck but still be a remarkable season, especially given the tough schedule. Don't think that will happen but I would take it. More likely would be to loose a couple regular games and loose the B12. Sucks even more.

this will be a tough season to measure cally and the boys because we play somthing like 6-8 teams that went to bowl games last year?

and the defensive line is basically gone

and the defensive backs are still unproven

i think realistically we lose 3-4 games this year, but as long as we play them tough and don't get embasrassed, cally will probably be rewarded with a contract extension. alot of people will still say we haven't gone far enough, but there has never been more parity in college football than ever before.

it is more competitive, recruiting is tougher, kids leave programs early, the whole thing has changed. the likes of usc, michigan, texas and notre dame are riding waves of succes now, with many lesser known programs enjoying success as well, so times, they ain't ez!