OLB Kyle Prater

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=642291

Kyle Prater, the 6-foot-2, 215 pound outside linebacker from Tivy High School in Kerryville, Texas, has seven scholarship offers, but two stand out.

Prater says he favors LSU and Oklahoma solidly over Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech and all five have offered. He also has offers from Rice and Baylor.

Growing up, Prater says he used to follow Texas and Texas A&M. "I liked watching them play because they are the big schools around here, but it's not like I used to dream about playing for them or anything."

Prater's first scholarship offer was from Nebraska and he plans on visiting the Huskers in late June. "I'm flying over there for a visit at the end of June," Prater said. "I'm excited to meet all the coaches and actually talk with them face-to-face. They have a great football program and are still getting better. The state is pretty crazy about football."

He's already visited his top two choices, the Tigers and Sooners and says both are pretty similar. "I liked getting to meet all the coaches at LSU, especially (head coach) Les Miles. He said they need linebackers and that they plan on signing three this year," Prater said. "He says that I'm an important get for them.

"I also really liked the academic facilities and that they have a lot of academic support for their athletes.

"Oklahoma is actually pretty similar to LSU," Prater said. "They are both run very well and I love how encouraging the Oklahoma coaches are. They have a great relationship with their players and I also love their fan support. Norman is a small town and reminds me a little of my home town."

Prater is also being recruited to play baseball and probably won't attend any football camps this summer because he'll be playing baseball. He plays right field and has a .420 batting average and had two home runs. "I may do both in college," he said. "I haven't decided yet."

Initially, Prater admits he planned on going through the entire recruiting process, but recently he's started to change his mind. "Lately I've been thinking that if I can visit all these schools this summer, I should be able to make an early commitment."

Prater finished his junior season with 126 tackles, 82 solos, 10 tackles for loss, five sacks, three fumbles caused and one recovered. He also had an interception returned for a touchdown.

"I'm really aggressive and have great speed," Prater said. "That's what coaches say they like about me. I'm real intense and am always moving. I'm always doing something.

"I want to improve on my pass drops, dropping into coverages and reading routes better."

Prater benches 315 pounds, squats 425 and has a 35-inch vertical jump. He runs the forty in 4.55.

He reports a 3.5 core GPA.

• 1 month later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=653825

Kyle Prater, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound outside linebacker from Tivy High School in Kerryville, Texas, now has eight offers, with the latest coming from Purdue.

He continues to favor LSU and Oklahoma slightly over Nebraska and all three lead big over Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. All have offered the three-star prospect who is Scout.com's No. 63 prospect in the Southwest.

"LSU and Oklahoma are so similar," Prater said. "It's the way they run their program and what their staff's are like. The defensive coordinator at LSU (Bo Pelini) was at both LSU Nebraska and Oklahoma before he was at LSU. Their coaches treat their players great and they play exciting schedules.

"I would say that LSU is recruiting me the hardest," he said. "They keep in touch the most. Coach (Bradley) Peveto (linebackers) is my recruiting coach. He's a fun guy who also keeps players in line.

"Oklahoma has a really great staff and they have had such a great record," Prater said. "I'm being recruited by Bobby Jack Wright (asst. head coach) and Brent Venables (asst. head coach).

"Nebraska also has a good tradition and the state is crazy about football," he said. "I'm gonna visit them with my parents on June 26 or 27 and we'll stay through the weekend. I've already been to LSU and Oklahoma, which is probably why they are in the lead. They are both about eight or an eight and a half drive from home. I'm not going to any camps.

"Nebraska's probably about 14 hours, which means I'd probably have to fly back and forth if I went there," Prater said. "They were the first school to offer me last September.

"Oklahoma State is a cool place. I like coach Mike Gundy.

"I went to a Texas Tech Junior Day last year," he said. "I know a lot of people there. It's close to home and I'd be comfortable there, but I might like to see a new place."

"I'd like to decide before the season starts if I feel comfortable," Prater explained. "I don't know if I will though.

"These schools want me for outside linebacker," he said. "I have the speed to get sideline-to-sideline but I only weigh about 215 now. I think I'll easily be able to put on twenty pounds in college. I ran a 4.4 forty at my high school not long ago.

"I could also play baseball in college because I can throw in the nineties," Prater said. LSU is encouraging me to play both sports. I think I'm better in football and I'll sign for football, not baseball."

Porter reports a 3.5 core GPA, a 1560 three-part SAT and a 1070 two-part SAT

• 1 month later...