I cant find

There was a post on here discussing the Defense and the size and speed of linebackers.

What i remember from the post was the argument about whether 215 pound linebackers can still play today.

I just looked at the LSU depth chart (Arguably the best Defense in America) and they did not have one linebacker on their 2-Deep that weighed over 225.

If small quick playmaking LB can play for the best Defense in the best Conference I'd have to say they can play here.

Just Food For Thought

This is very unscientific, but look at how the 2002 top 10 classes finished in 2006. This is about the only year we can use as the 2002 class were either seniors in 06 or redshirt juniors. The aveage ranking of the 02 top 10 class came in at 30.6. I guess I would look at this and say that really it all comes back to coaching rather than talent. Maybe someone should highlight this for Pud.

Looking at those top 10 in 02 explains a lot. It explains why CU got a new coach. It explains why Coker was replaced at Miami. It explains why Fulmer is on the hot seat. It explains why Dorrell is on the hot seat. It also explain why Bowden should step down as well as Joe Pa. They're getting the talent, and then they are underachieving with it.

Considering NU has only had 1 class in the top 10 in the last 5 years, it's hard to say whether we're underachieving or not. For NU to be successfull, we need a couple of things to happen. First, we need to keep the talent we have here at NU. Every time a good or great player leaves the team it hurts the team. Second, we need to stop the bleeding in terms of losing coaching staff as well. If we lose as many assistants per year as we did this year, it will be very hard to make a championship run any time soon. The final thing that really needs to happen is better on field adjustments. Everybody gets on Coz and BC about adjustments, and probably rightfully so. In 06, we outscored our opponents in the first quarter by an obscene amount. So, we know that the pregame schemes are outstanding. Both coaches are very good board room X's and O's coaches. However, their on field adjustments really kind of suck.

In 06, our defense was pretty crippled up considering our DB's. If we want to have a defense like we did in the mid-90's, we need to increase the speed at the LB position. I realize that Shanle Sr., Ruud, etc. are now in the pros playing, but I think we need to get away from this type of LB. We need LB's like Terrell Farley that were undersized but had blazing speed. Let's get 215-225 pound LB's that run 4.3's and 4.4's instead of 250 pound LB's that run 40's clocked by the sun dial. On offense, the only thing I think we really need to do is get better blocking schemes by the OL. I think plenty of talent is there on the OL, but they just aren't getting it done. They're not dominating anyone's DL. We need more fire and desire by the OL. We have the receivers, we have the backfield, now we just need more consistent play from the OL.

Here you go. It is under the thread about recruiting talent vs. success.

I dont doubt that LSU had smaller, quicker, faster linebackers. I am all about quick, fast, hard hitting linebackers. My point was that they wouldnt take a guy that they brought in specifically to fill a HUGE need for us and switch him to a different position that could be filled by other good players. If they move Asante to linebacker (I am not saying that he wouldnt make a great linebacker) who would they put at the oher safety spot that would be as good as asante? If you put Culbert and Green at the safety spots then that would mean that Dillard, Mceon, Octavian, Rudd, Asante, and Brandenburgh would all be fighting for a spot and more than likely someone would get left out. If we keep Asante at safety it allows us to have as much talent on the field as we can at one time. That enables us to have Dillard, Mceon, Ocatavian, and Asante all on the field at the same time, that is some big time talent and speed there. If you want to move Culbert to linebacker then you would just have to switch him back to safety or have another JC guy or a RS freshman play at the other safety opposite Asante the next year because there is nobody to take over for Green when he graduates. The coaches obviously agree that we need speed at linebacker otherwise they wouldnt have recruited two guys that run 4.5 fortys and one that got away with a 4.3. They know what they are doing, and we are on our way to having a freakin awesome defense in the years to come.

I dont doubt that LSU had smaller, quicker, faster linebackers. I am all about quick, fast, hard hitting linebackers. My point was that they wouldnt take a guy that they brought in specifically to fill a HUGE need for us and switch him to a different position that could be filled by other good players. If they move Asante to linebacker (I am not saying that he wouldnt make a great linebacker) who would they put at the oher safety spot that would be as good as asante? If you put Culbert and Green at the safety spots then that would mean that Dillard, Mceon, Octavian, Rudd, Asante, and Brandenburgh would all be fighting for a spot and more than likely someone would get left out. If we keep Asante at safety it allows us to have as much talent on the field as we can at one time. That enables us to have Dillard, Mceon, Ocatavian, and Asante all on the field at the same time, that is some big time talent and speed there. If you want to move Culbert to linebacker then you would just have to switch him back to safety or have another JC guy or a RS freshman play at the other safety opposite Asante the next year because there is nobody to take over for Green when he graduates. The coaches obviously agree that we need speed at linebacker otherwise they wouldnt have recruited two guys that run 4.5 fortys and one that got away with a 4.3. They know what they are doing, and we are on our way to having a freakin awesome defense in the years to come.

Hopefully we will have someone who knows how to run it. We certainly don’t right now!

I dont know why we would move Asante anywhere but Safety. That is why he was brought here, to fill Shanles spot and give it a whole new look this next year. Im not sure why everyone is saying move mceon to strong side bc if anyone pays attention he is not one to take on contact he more or less outruns the lineman or will duck under them to make the tackle. He is what about 230 lbs. I dont think he is big enough or strong enough to take over the strong side. On top of that he has been learning the MIKE spot for three years now and has done a good job. Dillard is a much better prospect to take over the strong side. He is about 240-250 lbs. and stronger than Mceon. The coaches were also saying that they were looking to get him some time there last year anyway. I think we have five capable linebackers next year, not counting the freshmen or Covey. I would be willing to bet the lineup will go something like this (unless something unexpected happens, such as a freshman stepping up, brandenburgh stepping up, or covey stepping up)

WLB: Octavian, Rudd

MIKE: Mceon, Brandenburgh

SAM: Dillard, Brandenburgh

Hey there old buddy, I'm not trying to be a d!ck but MLB's are usually bigger and stronger then SLB's. Dillards size is perfect for the MIKE and McKeons size and speed are perfect for the SAM. It's not called strong side because you need to be strong, it's called strong side because you line up on the strong side of the field, the side the TE lines up on.

And they wouldn't be changing Asante to LB from Safety, he's A JUCO MLB. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Green going to be moved to FS. That way we'll have Culbert take over SS for Green and maybe Asante will be able to play a little LB. We could use his speed at LB. (I know you remember Terrell Farley and Jamel Williams, 95 wasn't that long ago) I'm not saying Asante will play LB but I think that's what people are talking about.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Hey, the only problem we will have next year is finding someone weak enough to play weak side linebacker!

I think this may be the actual thread you were looking for. If not, it doesn't matter, I just got a laugh taking another look at it.

husker1, you are such a silly little fellow!

Hopefully we will have someone who knows how to run it. We certainly don’t right now!

Coz sucks Blah Blah Blah. :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

Part of the reason Asante came here is because he is going to play SAFETY. He dropped the schools that wanted him as a LB. So I would have to say he will not be moving to LB any time soon.

Yes, and Tony Veland came to Nebraska to play quarterback...

Oh, and I would like to add, very original signature. Oh well, like they say, “imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.” And to answer your question, Willie Gault was a famous wide receiver and ballerina who played for Da Bears. Now, answer my question.

Coz sucks Blah Blah Blah. :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

YESSS!!!!! I am finally getting some agreement! Thanks for jumping on board! "Coz sucks Blah Blah Blah." Can I quote you on that? Oh wait, I just did. I should add that to my signature. Of course I will still give you full credit. I want the entire world to know that Michigan Red thinks Coz sucks. And by the way, if you had something intelligent to say I wouldn't mock you.

california husker, since you are such a freakin genious then why would callahan say all the things he has about Asante. Not a quote but he talked about how he has all the qualities that make a big time SAFETY. When Asante was talking about why he wanted to come here he was talking about how we are graduating a safety and he expects to come in right away and contend for a starting spot. Hmmm who told him that? I take it you know what youre talking about and I understand now. You want to move Asante (pretty much the only guy we have at that postion unless you want to start Culbert and Green and that is it) to linebacker and do what? I guess we could move Mceon to SAM bc I know that is what you want to do, have Brandenburgh back him up or dillard at the MIKE or SAM spots and bench either Octavian or Rudd. That is absolutley genious!! I cant believe the coaches didnt think of that before you. Or we could do the logical thing and keep him at safety seeing as how that is what he was specifically brought here to play. We could have one hell of a safety for three years, along with Culbert playing back there with him. Now if you said move Helu to safety that would make more sense bc we have so much depth at running back with Mendoza, Lucky, Glenn, and Castille, with Okafor coming in and possibly one other one. Maybe this will make some sense to you, you silly little fellow.

Also california husker genious, are you denying that the SAM linebacker has to take on the tight end and has to be a little stronger than a WILL linebacker. I am not saying they have to be twice the size but they do have to be able to shed blocks and every time I have seen Mceon he is outrunning them to the ball rather than taking them head on, I remember Callahan saying that he considered Bradley to be almost an extra defensive lineman bc he was on the line so much. I am sure you have already talked to Callahan about that and told him what he should do, I dont know why you werent contacted for the head coaching job before he was, you are sooo smart :sarcasm

Lets move Niles Paul to linebacker, hes being brought here to play wide receiver but hes fast so I want him at linebacker! I think that would be best for the team.

I was thinking Grixby. Now that we don't need him in the secondary imagine how fast he would be at LB. Oh and put McKeon at Safety. He'd really bring the wood against the run.

:bonez

Lets move Niles Paul to linebacker, hes being brought here to play wide receiver but hes fast so I want him at linebacker! I think that would be best for the team.

I was thinking Grixby. Now that we don't need him in the secondary imagine how fast he would be at LB. Oh and put McKeon at Safety. He'd really bring the wood against the run.

:bonez

Ohio, be careful who you lie down with. You are often judged by the company you keep.