Starting DE

HANC

We have all hashed out the DB's......and I know that we have talked about the DE's...

But, refresh my memory.....who will start DE..

Potter and Turner ???

I asked a while back how Potter was doing, and no one was able to give me an answer.... Has anyone heard, is he going to develop into a good/great DE or is he just being given a lot of attention due to his special teams play as a freshman?

That is a very good question. Turner has proved to be a very good pash rusher and is more than likely to have one end position locked down, probally the open end like Moore was last year. The other position is up for grabs IMO. Potter has played the last couple of years on special teams but has not really been out there that much at DE. A couple of the newcomers will make a strong push for playing time. There is also talks on this board about possibly Ty Steinkuehler moving to end as well. This will probally be a very competitive battle with the winner definetly earning their spot.

We have all hashed out the DB's......and I know that we have talked about the DE's...

But, refresh my memory.....who will start DE..

Potter and Turner ???

I asked a while back how Potter was doing, and no one was able to give me an answer.... Has anyone heard, is he going to develop into a good/great DE or is he just being given a lot of attention due to his special teams play as a freshman?

I'm not sure Potter's a sure bet to start. Coaches keep bringing in the players to compete. Turner is locked in as the above have said. Who are the de'S ON ROSTER.

Defensive line for me is obviously one of the scariest positions heading into next season. having graduated all of our front 4 will leave us with some green on that defensive front next year.

At D-tackle I am not that worried I think NU is in good shape and between

Suh

Barfield

B Johnson

Steinkuhler

Jensen

Roark

Dixon

4 of these guys will be solid enough to play.

But defensive end is really what scares me the most. The obvious two for starters are Potter at base and Turner at open. Potter despite making a lot of noise on special teams blocking field goals, has really not done much with his regular defensive play only making 2 tackles all last year. Without question spring ball and fall training camp will be extremely important for him. His potential is through the roof.

Another option at base is moving Steinkuhler there. This is what i think will ultimately happen. Steinkuhler looked pretty good all last year. He has got the frame, although a few extra inches could benefit him (a few extra inches could benefit all of us).

Another name you hear tossed around at base end is incoming JC recruit Joseph Townsend, who is the younger brother of former Husker Larry. He would be a very likely candidate to start but he has an academic LOAD he has got to get taken care of before he ever gets to Lincoln. Having met Joe, he is a fantastic kid and has that certain charisma about him that will make him a team leader once he is here. He also is aware of how serious his homework is and I think that he has a better chance of getting it taken care of than not. But even in gettinn it done I do not think that the NCAA clearinghouse will be on the ball enough to get him in the hunt for the starting early enough. If he is cleared early enough though, look out!

on the open side it is likely barry turner. In this poster's eyes he is the best all around athlete on the team. 6-3 250lbs and can run a 4.53 electronic. did I mention he can catch too? Turner is an athletic freak, no question. But last year I seemed to see him getting pushed off a lot of blocks, getting pushed down field 5 yards by the tackle before getting away from the big ugly and making the tackle.

How will Pierre Allen fair? I have heard he is nothing short of a physical specimen at 6-5 255 and cat like speed and reflexes.

Don't forget about Clayton Sievers. The coaches loved this kid before he went down to injury last year. He was playing open end, SAM LB and TE at once one point last year.

I can't wait for spring ball.

no doubt, getting these guys sorted out and in a static position (home) will be key to them learning/playing at a high level. look for a shakey start in the early season, which will make the defeat of USC highly unlikely. although the offense SHOULD be better with Keller at the helm, the defense will have a developmental curve to negotiate.

I think Potter and Turner will be the starters, if nothing else bc of experience and knowledge of the scheme in Potters case. I know nothing about Mike Smith, but he is the only person who I know of that was playing that position who came back besides Potter. I really think if Townsend is here for the entire fall camp he will be in the running for the starting position at base along with Steinkhuler, IMO. Turner is a lock for open IMO, after him I think the competition is a good one bt Yancy and Allen. They are both built in the same mold, about 6'5 250 lbs, and both seem to be very athletic. Throw in Jared Crick and I think we have a pretty good line. Of course the only one proven so far is Turner, and the only time I saw him get driven back was at A&M and he was getting double teamed. However the attributes are there so it is just a matter of them getting the chance to finally prove themselves. Its hard to get playing time when you have two d-ends who will be playing on sundays who are seniors playing in front of you.

dont be suprised if you hear Seth Jensen and Pierre Allens names metioned in the spring, summer, and fall camps on a regular basis. There will be competition at the end spot Im sure of it. These red shirt freshman will have an impact, how much? We will have to wait and see, time will tell.