Starting LB corps

Just like the old saying, "if, if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas."

I'm almost sick to death of hearing what Octo CAN do. I'm waiting to see the on-field results. So far, he has played one game and a quarter where he has truly shown he deserves to be on the field, moreso start games as a Husker.

I don't wanna hear about athleticism, speed, and al this stuff. None of that makes a football player. If I had the choice, I would take one Bo Ruud over three Steve Octavien's.

Amen. Octo MIGHT have an impact this season but I think he'll disappear into the woodwork. McKeon, Ruud, and Brandenburg have all shown a lot more on the field. Dilliard might also have an impact but he's coming back from a major injury and hasn't shown much more than Octo.

What is his forty yard dash? I have just heard nothing about this kid. I havent really heard anything for two years, not from practice reports, scout team, nothing. It just seems that they would have said something if he made strides or noise on the scout team. We will see though, I am more excited to see how Stafford, Lawrence and maybe Washington do this coming fall. I really think they will play in certain situations just because of their speed and athletisicm.

Actually Bob, his time was Rivals tested. So that 4.49 would give you an idea of what he runs now.

You have to remember, Covey was an unknown until he ran that time at the Rivals camp. After he tested, Nebraska offered just a day afterwards, IIRC.

Sorta the same with Austin Stafford. Put on a show at a Rivals camp and was considered one of the best LB's there, which led to offers from Nebraska.

OCTO, McKEON, DILLARD- We havent seen much of Dillard but the few times I have watched him he seemed to be an animal with some hard hitting mentality. I cant stand another season on Ruud no matter how good some may think he is, Ill pull my hair out if I have to see one more tackle up around the shoulders.

What are you talking about tackles around the shoulders, COME ON HE IS AWESOME. LOL JUST KIDDING.

HE doesnt even tackle above the shoulders. At least 80% of all tackles he is credited for are pile ons from behind.

he has never stood one person up or blew up a ball carrier. NOT ONCE IN HIS ENTIRE TIME IN HIS CAREER AT NEBRASKA

I think Octavian knows that if he wants a chance to make a living playing football he needs to show up next year. Injuries aside he needs to give his all in practice, every play. Give his all in games, every play. Not many people know who he even is and if he wants to get his name out there then he needs to blow up this next season...he more than likely is aware of that. Thats why I think he is going to take out Rudd this next season as starter. Octavian, Mceon and Dillard-starting linebackers.

Senior Bo Ruud's switch from weakside linebacker to strongside linebacker highlighted a rundown of position changes supplied Tuesday by Nebraska coach Bill Callahan.

Ruud will replace departed senior Stewart Bradley, leaving seniors Steve Octavien and Lance Brandenburgh to battle for the starting job at the weakside position.

"That will be an outstanding position for Bo, (because of) the way we're playing coverage and what we're asking the SAM to do in coverage. Also, in terms of his blitzing, that'll be an ideal spot for Bo," Callahan said.

In addition, junior Clayton Sievers will move from strongside linebacker to the "open" defensive end position, where he will compete for playing time come August with classmate Barry Turner. Turner will be sidelined for all of spring practice with a shoulder injury.

"I think Clayton will find a home there," Callahan said.

Other players on the move:

-- Redshirt freshman Pierre Allen, from "open" end to "base" end, where he will compete for playing time with junior Zach Potter. The 6-foot-5 Allen, listed at 225 pounds last season, weighed 266 last week, Callahan said.

-- Major Culbert, from safety to I-back (he practiced at I-back during Cotton Bowl preparation). "He was impressive," Callahan said, adding, "We still feel he's a defensive player, and he'll make a contribution on defense. We're not going to lose that side in terms of his progress.

"This just puts him in position to help us at the running back position in an emergency situation . . . However, I'm not saying he couldn't contribute (at I-back), because he certainly can."

Also:

-- Tierre Green, from strong safety to free safety; Rickey Thenarse, from cornerback to strong safety; Anthony West, from corner to free safety; Mike Smith, from defensive end to offensive left tackle; Matt Slauson, from right tackle to right guard; Jordan Picou, from defensive line to center/left guard.

Looks like they have opened the door for Octavien to step up. Let's hope he makes the most of the chance and stays healthy and plays consistant.

I like all the other moves. Smith looks to be a natural to grow into the LT spot. Pierre Allen should really push Potter if he has gotten that much bigger. Not too big of a fan of Culbert moving to RB, but that is kind of out of necessity.