Purify

Maurice Purify looks to get 'smaller, stronger and faster' in the offseason

By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2007 - 01:34:00 am CDT

Nebraska's Maurice Purify, 16, is all smiles after his fourth quarter touchdown against Texas A&M on Nov. 11, 2006. (LJS File)

Nebraska star wide receiver Maurice Purify has had a somewhat eventful offseason.

He bowled his first career 300 game last month (after taking up the sport only last summer) and made a brief run at joining the Nebraska basketball team (Husker football coach Bill Callahan, ahem, strongly recommended against the idea).

Purify’s focus for spring football practice, which begins March 21?

“Getting bigger, stronger and faster,” he said.

Advertisement

He paused.

“Well, take out ‘bigger,’” he said with a chuckle. “I need to get smaller, stronger and faster.”

The 6-foot-4 Purify, arguably Nebraska’s top returning offensive weapon, headed home to California for spring break late last week weighing 230 pounds. He played most of last season weighing between 208-210, he said.

However, he arrived in Dallas in December for Cotton Bowl preparation weighing 236, blaming his grandma’s fine cooking over the holidays. Coaches told him to drop 10 pounds.

He plans to play this coming season in the 220-pound range.

It’s not as if weight is a major issue for Purify. After all, he ran a 4.5-second 40-yard dash last week as Nebraska’s winter conditioning program wrapped up. In fact, his impressive speed and size are among reasons Husker coaches expect improvement from Purify this coming season compared to last.

In 2006, Purify led the team in receiving yards (630) and touchdown catches (seven) and ranked second in receptions (34) behind fellow wideout Terrence Nunn (42).

“Maurice got better and better and better every week,” Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said Monday. “He became an impact player in our offense. I think he’s at a point now where he has confidence.

“I mean, he knows exactly what is expected and has confidence in what we’re asking him to do. He knows how plays are called. He knows the tempo of the game. He knows what happens on certain downs and distances.

“The other thing he has now is, he knows our offense and knows his role in our offense. I think you’ll see him really flourish this spring and during the season.”

Purify, who transferred to NU last summer from San Francisco City College, recorded impressive statistics last season despite being eased slowly into the offense. In fact, he played only a few snaps in Nebraska’s third game, a 28-10 loss at fourth-ranked Southern California.

“Coach Callahan didn’t want to put me in that situation if I wasn’t totally comfortable,” Purify said. “I wasn’t really comfortable with the offense until after that game.”

Purify insists he feels comfortable in the offense now. This spring, he said, he will work hard on his route running.

“You have to work at being disciplined, like not drifting away from the ball on across-the-field patterns, and not giving the defensive back tips about where you’re going,” he said.

For instance, a wide receiver’s shoulder movement can tip off a defender as to which route is being run, Purify said.

Nebraska returns seven starters on offense from a 2006 team that finished with a 9-5 record, including a three-point bowl loss to Auburn.

“I want us to have the No. 1 offense in the Big 12,” Purify said. “My total goal is to go back to the Big 12 Championship Game and win it.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

Ok so I was watching some clips on youtube today and the catch that Erickson had was on there. No offense to the kid but I sure hope he doesnt play next year. I really never understood why he played in the first place. Every time he was in besides maybe five times it was a run, and out of those plays 90% of those were a crack back block toss, which got about three yards at most. You cant tell me that Holt couldnt have dont the same thing, hes twice as big and faster than he is, and he would have only had to learn like five plays to take his place. If it were up to me Erickson or Peterson would not play next year. Nothing against them as people I just think we have a lot better players than them.

Ok so I was watching some clips on youtube today and the catch that Erickson had was on there. No offense to the kid but I sure hope he doesnt play next year. I really never understood why he played in the first place. Every time he was in besides maybe five times it was a run, and out of those plays 90% of those were a crack back block toss, which got about three yards at most. You cant tell me that Holt couldnt have dont the same thing, hes twice as big and faster than he is, and he would have only had to learn like five plays to take his place. If it were up to me Erickson or Peterson would not play next year. Nothing against them as people I just think we have a lot better players than them.

Who are better than these guys? Chris Brooks? Menelik Holt? Will Henry? Or perhaps some other receiver that hasn't proven anything on the field. That's hilarious to me.

Are you saying that you dont think Menelik Holt, Will Henry, and Chris Brooks are more talented than Todd Peterson and Erickson? If you are then that is hilarious to me. No they havent proven very much, but they also havent played. Erickson is a 5'10 170 pound slow wide receiver. Damn that has me slobbering on myself. Todd Peterson isnt bad, however I think that any of the three above are faster and more athletic than him. You can think what you want, you can even laugh, you've made me laugh too, but I really dont think I am alone on this one.

You gotta love Petersen. That being said, I agree he should not play. Its not that he hasnt done some great things for us, but if Holt, Henry, Paul, Brooks cant beat him out then we have problems. These are supposed to be top recruits for us and if they cannot step up and beat out Swift, Petersen, and Erickson then our cupboard is very bare.

Taller, stronger, and faster WR are needed to make this offense work to its fullest potential.

Life sucks because sometimes things (or Wide Recievers) we have come to know and trust get overrun by other things (or Wide Receivers)

For all they have done for us they should be thanked but if they arent as good as the others then there should be no special treatment or preference. If the others are better then they must sit. Its simple

I see a lot of people whine and hope and pray for championship caliber teams but when you start talking about replacing starters and/or contributors with better players, meaning the starter/contibutor will not see time then people go in the tank.

Facts are, if Petersen, Swift, and Erickson are in our WR rotation then we are NOT going to be as good of team as we would like

I agree with the last two posts. I really have no problem with Swift, he has about 4.5-4.6 speed bout 6'2 and good hands. He knows the offense very well and everyone needs a possession receiver. Its Pederson and Erickson that I dont think should play at all. I really do think Purify is going to put up some big numbers this year bc I dont think people are going to be able to key in on him this year. If everybody is correct in saying that Brooks, Holt, and Henry are going to be a lot better this next year then we are going to have so many freakin weapons. I think he will probably average about 5 rec. and 80 ypg, which is pretty freakin good considering how much Callahan likes to throw the ball around to diff. guys. I think the rotation should be Purify and Nunn as starters, Holt and Brooks 2nd string, mixing Hardy, Paul and Henry in there a little bit, Henry more than the others. IMO if we go three or four wide the next two I put in order should be in there. Having Purify, Nunn, Holt, and Brooks on the field at the same time is fantastic. It gives us speed, size, and power all together. Now THAT has me slobbering!

Are you saying that you dont think Menelik Holt, Will Henry, and Chris Brooks are more talented than Todd Peterson and Erickson? If you are then that is hilarious to me. No they havent proven very much, but they also havent played. Erickson is a 5'10 170 pound slow wide receiver. Damn that has me slobbering on myself. Todd Peterson isnt bad, however I think that any of the three above are faster and more athletic than him. You can think what you want, you can even laugh, you've made me laugh too, but I really dont think I am alone on this one.

Not saying that those guys are awesome, but come on. How do you know that they are better without ever seeing anything from these other guys? It's the same thinking that Octavien is by far the best linebacker and it's probably no coincidence that the 2 people that lead that parade are on board for this one as well. I'd agree that they are probably more athletic, but what good does it do if they can't beat out these slow, unathletic white guys? Grixby is probably the most athletic guy on the team and most on here want him benched because he is rarely in position to use his athleticism to make a play on the ball. I have no problem with Erickson coming in on run plays, because he usually puts a good block on his man. He must do it better than the other receivers if he gets the opportunity to go out there and do it in a game. Peterson catches almost everything thrown at him. Tight end may be a possibility for him, but who knows. I agree that the speed at receiver needs an upgrade, but Terrence Nunn is a prime example of speed vs. hands. Yeah, he gets open, but catches about 50% of the passes that come to him.

Back to Purify. He is another example of extraordinary athletic talent that didn't translate to much production till he learned the offense. Give it time, let those guys learn the offense, then work them in. If they are worth a darn, they will get their licks.

Well that last part just made part of my point for me. Brooks is going into his third year with the team. He is by far more athletic than Pederson, Swift, or Erickson. I am sure he knows the offense by now, if it took Purify a half year to learn the basics. As for you having no problem with Erickson coming in on run plays, do you have a problem with Callahan telling the defense what play he is running, literally? Because that is pretty much what he did last year, aside from about 5 plays they were all run plays, mainly a toss. I am one that doesnt think Grixby is that bad. He is not a number one corner, but he is a solid number two. He is very athletic with pretty good speed and out of this world jumping ability. I am one who doesnt think he will get benched this year. I admit that Nunn doesnt have very good hands, but the main reason Pederson catches all the passes he gets is bc he is wide open, have you ever seen Pederson run a slant pattern in front of three guys looking to knock his head off, I mean nobody within ten yards of him, with the exception of maybe two or three catches. You know why that is? Because he has no quickness or speed, therefore he has no ability to separate. It was a great call by Callahan bc he knew what work. I would hope someone could run (not fast) cut (not quick) turn and catch the ball, Rudy could do that.