2007 Depth Chart

I get frustrated when I hear that Grixby sucks. This is simply not true. Grixby getting picked on is a result of bad matchups. Grixby simply cannot matchup with the likes of Dwayne Jarrett, Todd Blythe, Limas Sweed, Adarius Bowman and Malcolm Kelly. All of these WRs are 6-4 200+ lbs. Whereas Grixby is a 5-8+ 170 lbs. he gets poor matchups. If Grixby covers the smaller receiver he'll be solid. This is why I have pegged him to be my nickel corner. I think he'll be on those smaller slot receivers like white on rice.

I get frustrated when I hear that Grixby sucks. This is simply not true. Grixby getting picked on is a result of bad matchups. Grixby simply cannot matchup with the likes of Dwayne Jarrett, Todd Blythe, Limas Sweed, Adarius Bowman and Malcolm Kelly. All of these WRs are 6-4 200+ lbs. Whereas Grixby is a 5-8+ 170 lbs. he gets poor matchups. If Grixby covers the smaller receiver he'll be solid. This is why I have pegged him to be my nickel corner. I think he'll be on those smaller slot receivers like white on rice.

I agree with that, but not sure if I agree with Murillo starting out spring ahead of a 3 year starter though. We'll see. Hopefully, Murillo is as good as advertised.

I'm not entirely positive myself. I just seem to vaguely remember reading about him tearing it up on the scout team this year playing DT.

I do remember him being an all-state wrestler, and also having an outstanding showing in Nebraska's HS all-star game the year before last.

I'll try to search BHF and HP to see where I read this at.

Grixby is in the same position as the WR to me. He will definitely fair better with Bowman on the field, but if Jones improves or Murillo is the real deal then i hope they play simply because it makes us better. If someone steps up and plays well we would be a better team, than if we have to put Grixby out there. I dont think he sucks, its just that he isnt going to get all that much better where as Jones and Murillo have way more upside. We can only hope one of them chooses to use it

I agree, I actually think that Jones will be the starter opposite Bowman and Grixby will be the nickel, until the middle or so, if Murillo can prove he deserves to play. The only thing I was saying is that he is not that bad of a number two corner. Either way it helps a ton to have four capable corners in there at the same time so we can even run dime a little next year.

I think Grixby in nickel packages makes a lot of sense. In regard to whether he sucks or not, all I have to say is that I probably can count on one hand the times I've seen him turn around to look for the ball when he's making a play on the receiver - although, as you say, it's probably that he is outsized and he has to compensate for it. I agree that Grixby will be better with Bowman healed and some depth at the position.

I also agree with your take that Murillo will find the field as a starter next season - despite the fact that he hasn't played a lick of D-1 ball. I think that the coaches went after Murillo with that in mind.

I would think that Major Culbert's switch to RB would be temporary - until the injury bug at that position is elevated. He adds depth to a depleted position - but, I don't think that his move is long term. I would place the new commits Mendoza and Castille above him. It is still iffy as to whether Kenny will be able to play next season. If not, I see the RB position as Lucky, Cody, Castille, Mendoza, Culbert....but that is my opinion....the smoke will clear after spring practice.

Thanks for creating this post Cowboy Bob....it's fun to guess what the coaches may do and where players will be positioned.

Where does everyone think Helu will end up? If he moves to linebacker do you think they will keep Washington at safety? If they keep Helu at RB do you think they move Washington to LB, and if so do you think they will move Lawrence to MIKE in order to have all three LB positions filled in this class? Or do you think that Helu will move to safety and put Washington at LB right away?

Is Bergland playing guard now?

From what I remember, he was plating DT/NT on the scout team last year and giving our starting lineman fits. Should be one to watch out for in the future.

Sometimes the coaches move different players to different positions on the scout team so that they can give the first and second team units a better feel for who they are going up against. Example: Keller was probally not the scout team quarterback when we played Nicholls State last year, they probally used someone with pretty good speed to give the defense a true example of what to expect. I remember hearing Miami used Santanta Moss as the quarterback on the scout team to give their defense an example of the speed and quickness that Crouch had. I'm not for sure if this was the case with Bergland but if he had great quickness and could shoot the gaps, he might have been a better representation of the DTs that we played than our own young DTs on our roster.

:LOLtartar

I am not saying that he is some all-american corner, but why werent you guys talking about him like this his freshman and sophmore seasons? Because he did pretty well, not good enough to earn any honors or be the number one guy, but he didnt have to. His freshman year I believe he had Josh Bullocks, Daniel Bullocks, and and Fabian Washington. His second year he still had Daniel Bullocks, Zach Bowman and a decent player in Tietke. He had better talent around him which meant that he didnt have to do everything perfect. He had one of the Bullocks to back him up. Last year he had SHANLE and an inexperienced safety in Green. Shanle doesnt even do his job let alone pick up the slack for anyone else. Jones got beat plenty of times last year and still all I hear is Grixby sucks. I actually dont think either one of them suck, and you all will see what a difference it will make to have a true number one shut down corner and some more experience and athleticism at safety. I know we had shanle last year, and I dont know if the talent level can get much higher than that but we can hope.

isn't murillo already here and will be ready for spring? If so, I can definately see him starting at corner over grixby. :LOLtartar

:LOLtartar

I am not saying that he is some all-american corner, but why werent you guys talking about him like this his freshman and sophmore seasons? Because he did pretty well, not good enough to earn any honors or be the number one guy, but he didnt have to. His freshman year I believe he had Josh Bullocks, Daniel Bullocks, and and Fabian Washington. His second year he still had Daniel Bullocks, Zach Bowman and a decent player in Tietke. He had better talent around him which meant that he didnt have to do everything perfect. He had one of the Bullocks to back him up. Last year he had SHANLE and an inexperienced safety in Green. Shanle doesnt even do his job let alone pick up the slack for anyone else. Jones got beat plenty of times last year and still all I hear is Grixby sucks. I actually dont think either one of them suck, and you all will see what a difference it will make to have a true number one shut down corner and some more experience and athleticism at safety. I know we had shanle last year, and I dont know if the talent level can get much higher than that but we can hope.

isn't murillo already here and will be ready for spring? If so, I can definately see him starting at corner over grixby. :LOLtartar

I'm sure this is based upon the ample opportunity you have had to see him play. :nanalama

Blake Lawrence will be a WILL his whole career. he does not have the bigger bone structure to play inside. In fact his smaller frame is the reason it took us so long to offer in the first place.

Don't give me the McKeon is small too stuff. Lawrence doesn't have McKeon's frame.