QB starter won't be named until fall

ljs

Callahan won't rush to name QB starter

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2007 - 04:36:00 pm CDT

Matt Slauson understands the common perception among fans:

Sam Keller will be Nebraska’s starting quarterback come fall and that all this coaches’ talk about legitimate QB competition this spring is just that — talk.

However, Slauson, a junior offensive lineman, believes there really is a heated competition for the job.

“I think right after last season was over, I would’ve said, ’No, it isn’t an even competition,’ ” Slauson said. “But being able to work with Joe Ganz a little more, I really think it is now. Joe has come so far in the last couple months as far as stepping up his game and as a leader.”

Ganz and fellow junior Beau Davis will compete with the heavy favorite, Keller, the heralded transfer from Arizona State. True freshman Patrick Witt is also on hand for spring drills.

“There’s great competition across the board,” Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan said Tuesday during his team’s pre-spring practice media luncheon. The Huskers begin drills Wednesday.

The coach said he feels no need to name a starter by the end of the 15-practice spring season.

“There’s really not enough practices in a spring to really come out and say, 'Bang, this is the guy,'” Callahan said.

He said he doesn’t plan to name a starter until the week before the opening game.

“There are so many things that can change during the course of spring and summer and training camp,” Callahan said. “We just never put all of our eggs in one basket. We’ll let the kids compete.“

Although Keller and Ganz have received the lion’s share of attention during the off-season, Davis also merits mention, Callahan said.

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound Davis, of Venice, Calif., hasn’t attempted a pass since going 1-for-8 with four interceptions in a 2004 loss at Texas Tech.

“People naturally look at this as a two-horse race, and it’s certainly not that,” Callahan said. “Beau Davis, I think, is an outstanding quarterback. He has a lot of attributes and skills that maybe have been kept in the dark over the last couple of years.

“His performance in his rookie year (against Tech) is really an unfair assessment because it was so soon. He has mobility, he has speed, he has a good arm, and he’s been in this system for a number of years.“

GETTING CLOSER: Although Nebraska made strides last season in finishing with a 9-5 record, the Huskers were frustrated by two losses to end the season — a 21-7 decision against Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game and a 17-14 loss to Auburn in the Cotton Bowl.

“It was a bitter, bitter ending,” said senior tight end J.B. Phillips. “And it shows us we’re there. We’re right on, close to that apex. It’s something that can motivate you and make you do a little bit extra. The difference between victory and defeat is really just small things. That’s why we’re happy that we get spring to work on little things.”

COMFORT LEVEL RISES: Nebraska senior linebacker Bo Ruud said the Huskers have emphasized the development of leaders throughout much of the off-season. In fact, NU’s 31 seniors took part in a leadership seminar once a week throughout the winter. “We’ve put a lot more time and effort into it and thought about it more,” Ruud said. “I think it’ll really pay off. We’ve already seen a lot of changes in attitude.“

As for Callahan, Ruud senses that the coach feels increasing comfort with the players. “He feels more comfortable, I think, than he ever has because we have a lot of veterans,” Ruud said. “I think he trusts us and knows we’re going to prepare and work hard this spring. In past springs, he felt more pressure to really just kill us to find some players.“

LUCKY PRAISE: Because of injuries at the I-back position, 6-foot, 210-pound junior Marlon Lucky might again be asked to carry a heavy load in practice, as he did last December as Nebraska prepared for the Cotton Bowl. “Marlon’s done some great things that we really appreciate on film as you watch him perform,” Callahan said. “He’s got tremendous strength and power and speed, and he’ll only get better.”

Senior I-back Kenny Wilson (staph infection in knee) is sidelined for all of spring, and junior Cody Glenn (foot sprain) is listed “day to day,” Callahan said.

SHOULDER INJURIES: At least four players — tight end Mike McNeil, cornerback Corey Young, defensive end Barry Turner and defensive tackle Craig Roark — are missing spring practice because of shoulder injuries. However, Callahan said he has noticed no correlation from shoulder injury to shoulder injury. “None whatsoever,” the coach said. “They’re all different . . . I know Roark’s was different than McNeil’s and Barry Turner’s. Sometimes it’s just a matter of time — basic wear and tear. Other it’s just an initial sustained injury. There’s no pattern here that we can see.”

ETC.: Seth Jensen, a redshirt freshman defensive tackle with a shoulder injury, might be cleared this weekend to practice on a limited basis, Callahan said . . . Junior college transfer quarterback Zac Lee (knee) ran for the first time Monday as he continues rehabilitation . . . Callahan said sophomore nose tackle Ndamukong Suh “has a chance to be an all-league performer” . . . Players have responded “extremely well” to the new 6:30 a.m. start time for team meetings, Callahan said.

"Sam Keller will be Nebraska’s starting quarterback come fall and that all this coaches’ talk about legitimate QB competition this spring is just that — talk."

true, this is a done deal, unless something very unexpected happens.

"People naturally look at this as a two-horse race, and it’s certainly not that,” Callahan said. “Beau Davis, I think, is an outstanding quarterback. He has a lot of attributes and skills that maybe have been kept in the dark over the last couple of years."

if Davis gets the nod and starts there ain't a damn cow in Texas!

Anyone can think about it as much as they want but unless there is a injury Keller is the QB. He wouldnt have even come here if he wasnt promised to be the QB, sad but true. He had every school in the country after him you think he would come here without knowing he will start. BC is saying all the right things but we all know its for show.

Anyone can think about it as much as they want but unless there is a injury Keller is the QB. He wouldnt have even come here if he wasnt promised to be the QB, sad but true. He had every school in the country after him you think he would come here without knowing he will start. BC is saying all the right things but we all know its for show.

I would be surprised if he was promised he would start. I think Callahan has learned some things from the situations with Beck and Freeman and truly believes competition will produce better players all around. That said, I think Keller's game experience, skills, and year to learn the system (even if it was on the scout team) gives him an edge. I think he wins out.

he was promised, make no mistake about that, his dad knows cally well and he is a proven commodity, unlike Beck or Freeman. like i said, done deal unless something really odd happens.

Oh, sorry. I'm relatively new to this board and didn't realize that you are omniscient. <_<

if you followed the story from last fall, it is not too hard to understand

he was promised, make no mistake about that, his dad knows cally well and he is a proven commodity, unlike Beck or Freeman. like i said, done deal unless something really odd happens.

Oh, sorry. I'm relatively new to this board and didn't realize that you are omniscient. <_<

I did follow the story. I don't have any problem believing Keller (and his father) strongly believed he would be the starter. Too much at stake for them to not go some place where he could improve his stock for the NFL. Just don't think anyone can say with certainty that Bill Callahan said, "Sam, if you come to Nebraska, you will be the starter regardless of who you are competing against" (or words to that effect). What motivation is there to improve yourself if you know the job is yours? Why would Callahan remove that motivation and risk having something less than Keller's best?

I did follow the story. I don't have any problem believing Keller (and his father) strongly believed he would be the starter. Too much at stake for them to not go some place where he could improve his stock for the NFL. Just don't think anyone can say with certainty that Bill Callahan said, "Sam, if you come to Nebraska, you will be the starter regardless of who you are competing against" (or words to that effect). What motivation is there to improve yourself if you know the job is yours? Why would Callahan remove that motivation and risk having something less than Keller's best?

:yeah

Although I suspect Stoops was making all kinds of promises when Sam was deciding where to spend his Sr. season.

"People naturally look at this as a two-horse race, and it’s certainly not that,” Callahan said. “Beau Davis, I think, is an outstanding quarterback. He has a lot of attributes and skills that maybe have been kept in the dark over the last couple of years."

if Davis gets the nod and starts there ain't a damn cow in Texas!

I hope he just said that because he felt sorry for Beau. :)

And I hope Beau doesnt frequent this board. :nutz

preach on Preacher. When you say "too much at stake," immediately i think of Callahan's job, or even his staff's jobs.

All I have to say is that, whoever wins the bloody job better f'ing perform or everybody's ass is hanging over an open flame. We dont need another ASU situation spawning here at NEBRASKA or else we are in a world of hurt.