QB starter won't be named until fall

My big concern with Joey Gee is his size. He is 6'1" and 200 lbs but mayun he looks small when he is on the field with all those big behemoths running around on the field. Gotta feeling I'll be holding my breath a few times should he win the job (Remembering the punishment ZT took the last 2 seasons.)

preacher, i agree with you completely. you cannot guarentee a starting position because people would relax and not compete as hard as they should for the job.

i do believe that Sam will win out after all is said and done but he will have earned it because he is the better QB, not because Cally promised him the starting position to come to NU

Any QB who is unwilling to compete for his position is not worth having. BC knows that. BC's not stupid and he's not going to risk his job to please some arrogant kid who can't stand the heat. A QB that can't compete in practice can't compete on the field. If Keller knows he's all that great he would not shy away from the competition. Otherwise, he will never make it in the NFL either.

he was promised, make no mistake about that, his dad knows cally well and he is a proven commodity, unlike Beck or Freeman. like i said, done deal unless something really odd happens.
Gimme a break. Promised? This coaching staff has really never promised anything to anyone, be it right or wrong. Why would they start now? Not to mention that Keller himself said he has to earn it. If you aren't going to take people at their word, then you can't believe a word anyone says, ever.

BC may not have promised or already named Keller the starter but everything is stacked in Keller's favor to win the starting job. It is all just really coach speak when they say that everyone is starting even and everyone will have a shot to win the starting position. It is a motivation technique for everyone involved and every coach uses it.

Ya I agree that everyone will know who the starter is way before the season and maybe even after spring ball is done. The "starter" will get about 60% of the snaps and the backup will get about 30% and then whoever the third string is will get about 10%, that is just my opinion and the percentages might be a little off, but my point is they will all know who is number one by the amount of reps each is getting.

he was promised, make no mistake about that, his dad knows cally well and he is a proven commodity, unlike Beck or Freeman. like i said, done deal unless something really odd happens.
Gimme a break. Promised? This coaching staff has really never promised anything to anyone, be it right or wrong. Why would they start now? Not to mention that Keller himself said he has to earn it. If you aren't going to take people at their word, then you can't believe a word anyone says, ever.

that's crap Dave and you know it! Callahan practically kissed the kids' ass to get him here. Do you really think he would promise him the job, if he thought anyone left would even press him to start at QB? Hell, this was a no brainer and a promise even Callahan could make and keep. Given a year on the scout team, the guy has no competition when it comes to physical ability. And of course, what would you EXPECT Keller to say?

Of course he is going to play his role down, don't you think he learned being a smart ass at Arizona doesn't work? Wow, please don't be so naive!

This coaching staff has really never promised anything to anyone, be it right or wrong.

really? do you KNOW that for a fact? How would YOU know that??

How would YOU know they have?

Everything the players have said about this staff says that there are no promises about starting positions. On defense for example. Year after year people talk about how the new guys are going to come in and start because everyone sucks, blah blah blah. But every year it's been the same thing. The more experienced guys start with the new guys working into the mix about mid year or sooner, depending on the person and how good they are.

Like I said, anyone can go ahead and not believe what players say but that doesn't mean it's right. Now, someone could say "Well, DaveH, what about a kid like Andy Birkel or Brian Hildebrand? They had bad things to say so why aren't they right?" Easy. It's obvious those kids either had a) a history of being tools or B) simply didn't want to work hard. It wasn't "fun" anymore as I recall.

As far as QB, it's obvious to me who has the upper hand as far as ability and who has the upper hand as far as knowledge of the offense. Keller is obviously more physically talented, but Ganz has been here longer. Without seeing either in practive multiple times a week, I gotta go with Keller. He has experience in a heavy passing oriented offense and is more talented IMO.

As far as talent, I'd have to think that if Ganz wasn't better than Taylor he isn't better than Keller.

You call it being naive, I call it interpreting what everyone closer to the program has said. If we are just going to start making stuff up, the possibilities are endless.

How would YOU know they have?

Everything the players have said about this staff says that there are no promises about starting positions. On defense for example. Year after year people talk about how the new guys are going to come in and start because everyone sucks, blah blah blah. But every year it's been the same thing. The more experienced guys start with the new guys working into the mix about mid year or sooner, depending on the person and how good they are.

Like I said, anyone can go ahead and not believe what players say but that doesn't mean it's right. Now, someone could say "Well, DaveH, what about a kid like Andy Birkel or Brian Hildebrand? They had bad things to say so why aren't they right?" Easy. It's obvious those kids either had a) a history of being tools or B) simply didn't want to work hard. It wasn't "fun" anymore as I recall.

As far as QB, it's obvious to me who has the upper hand as far as ability and who has the upper hand as far as knowledge of the offense. Keller is obviously more physically talented, but Ganz has been here longer. Without seeing either in practive multiple times a week, I gotta go with Keller. He has experience in a heavy passing oriented offense and is more talented IMO.

As far as talent, I'd have to think that if Ganz wasn't better than Taylor he isn't better than Keller.

You call it being naive, I call it interpreting what everyone closer to the program has said. If we are just going to start making stuff up, the possibilities are endless.

:yeah

Although it sounds like Ganz is exponentially better than he was last year..Which may be key to our season if Sammy goes down or vice/versa.

I doubt BC promised anything to Sam, but I also (suspect) he all but promised Sam's Dad (as an old buddy) that we'd bend over backwards to give Sam his best shot at an NFL career.

Sam and his Dad are BOTH intellegent enough to know what's at stake here, and you have to put your best out on the turf.

This coaching staff has really never promised anything to anyone, be it right or wrong.

really? do you KNOW that for a fact? How would YOU know that??

There is more "fact" to conclude nothing was promised than the opposite. The players are saying they have to earn it, Callahan is saying he won't name a starter, etc. I don't disagree that Keller would look at our situation and figure it gave him one of the best chances of starting and getting to the NFL. I post on different boards and before now the only fans I have heard saying Keller was promised he would start were OU fans. First time for everything I guess. <_<