(Edit: this thread was split from the thread about the disturbing the peace charges being dropped against keller. my response is in response to a lot of people saying that the charges sounded bogus to begin with.)

disturbing the peace is one of the criminal charges most subject to abuse by police and prosectuors. whenever someone does something the cops or prosecutors think is mildly wrong, they bring out the old disturbing the peace charge. it is truly a "one size fits all" type of crime. for that matter, cops have "disturbed my peace" plenty of times, but they didn't ever get charged with a crime.

disturbing the peace is one of the criminal charges most subject to abuse by police and prosectuors. whenever someone does something the cops or prosecutors think is mildly wrong, they bring out the old disturbing the peace charge. it is truly a "one size fits all" type of crime. for that matter, cops have "disturbed my peace" plenty of times, but they didn't ever get charged with a crime.

Easy with the bad mouthing of cops there are a few of us on here that have to put up with crap that a lot of people wouldn't and couldn't put up with. :angry: Sometimes cops are put in situations where charges have to be filed even if we don't agree with the B.S. that actually went on!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap Couldnt have said that better myself! That was awesome! Fight the good fight brother! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Easy with the bad mouthing of cops there are a few of us on here that have to put up with crap that a lot of people wouldn't and couldn't put up with. :angry: Sometimes cops are put in situations where charges have to be filed even if we don't agree with the B.S. that actually went on!

Calm down BRI, He wasn't talking about all cops, just cops in Iowa :corndance

:clap

No I won't calm down!!!! I get tired of people bitching about cops all the time, but the first time they need one they are quick to dial 911 and scream "help me there is a big bad man in my house and I need an officer right away!!!" :nutz

No I won't calm down!!!! I get tired of people bitching about cops all the time, but the first time they need one they are quick to dial 911 and scream "help me there is a big bad man in my house and I need an officer right away!!!" :nutz

i didn't intend to imply that all cops were bad. you seem like a pretty good guy to me, but there are certainly a fair percentage who occasionally get on a bit of a power trip, and abuse their power. and arresting people on bogus disturbing the peace charges is a perfect example of that. and a lot of prosecutors are overzealous, or cover up bad arrests with disturbing the peace charges. i'm sorry if it offends you that i pointed this out, but i know it to be true.

i don't think complaining about bad cops or prosecutors deprives me of the right to call the police in the event of an emergency. just like i don't believe that cops charged with crimes aren't entitled to criminal defense lawyers, even though cops bitch about criminal defense lawyers all the time.

Bigrediowan, if you are a good cop, I salute you for your service.The problem is that almost everyone has a story about being jerked around by an officer on a power trip.I know the Norfolk area well, and some of their men in blue aren't much more than wet behind the ears kids, yet with their military haircuts and sunglasses on, they think they can power trip people, and we all know better than to complain about it to anyone, or pursue your complaint legally. I hope I'm in the minority with my frustration (nicest word I could think of) but I doubt it.

People should complain more about Doctors and Attorneys who abuse their power and authority also. Any profession has its' share of a$$holes. Cooks, waitresses/waiters, computer programmers :) , actresses/actors, truck drivers, sales people of all ilk. Just to name a few.

I would only call for 5 0 after I put two in the center ring. Maybe three if they twitch.

LEST WE FORGET FREAKIN POLITICIANS who really screw everyone over. Both Rep and Dem and other party affiliations.

Of course Nurses are completely and utterly perfect. :bonez

BRI knows that I was joking with him. I have never had the "bad experience" with a police officer unless it was because I was doing something wrong in the first place. I respect what you guys do and am glad there are people like you that will do it to the best of their ability.

Of course you knew there would be a but. I do not live with rosey glasses on and believe that every arrest or citation is warrented either. That is for the courts to decide and usually a bad element will find himself in trouble whether that person is a criminal or a police officer.

There are fire fighters that start fires because they want or need to be the hero, there are doctors that perform unneeded procedures, and there are bankers that pad their accounts. Hopefully they eventually get caught sooner than later.

I see your point BRI, I wouldn't take it personal.

GBR

I'm not taking it personal hell I had a few run-ins with some really big a$$hole state troopers and a few Des Moines cops when I was a kid. I can see everyone's point of view and I guess I really can't say that sometimes a simple charge like that isn't abused because it is at times. However; that doesn't mean that the people probably didn't deserve to be arrested because they were running their mouths or something along those lines. I won't tolerate someone bad mouthing me when I work because I treat everyone with respect due to my upbringing. When they get disrespectful and stupid the handcuffs come out and we go to candy land. :thumbs

I'm not taking it personal hell I had a few run-ins with some really big a$$hole state troopers and a few Des Moines cops when I was a kid. I can see everyone's point of view and I guess I really can't say that sometimes a simple charge like that isn't abused because it is at times. However; that doesn't mean that the people probably didn't deserve to be arrested because they were running their mouths or something along those lines. I won't tolerate someone bad mouthing me when I work because I treat everyone with respect due to my upbringing. When they get disrespectful and stupid the handcuffs come out and we go to candy land. :thumbs

That is exactly what I am talking about. While I definitely agree that everyone should be respectful of others, including police, I know that someone "running their mouth" or "bad mouthing" someone is not a crime. It is usually people arrested for "running their mouth" that end up with bogus disturbing the peace charges.

In short, being disrespectful to cops is stupid and a bad idea, but not a crime, and not worthy of arrest.

That is exactly what I am talking about. While I definitely agree that everyone should be respectful of others, including police, I know that someone "running their mouth" or "bad mouthing" someone is not a crime. It is usually people arrested for "running their mouth" that end up with bogus disturbing the peace charges.

In short, being disrespectful to cops is stupid and a bad idea, but not a crime, and not worthy of arrest.

Actually in Iowa we have a charge for disturbing the peace and another charge called disorderly conduct whether you like it or not being disrespectful to an officer calling him or her names and generally being an a$$hole is against the law in most places and you will get arrested for it. If someone says to me "your an a$$hole!!!" that's it you've crossed the line I didn't curse at you so guess what you go to jail. Prosecutors and judges will enforce the charges most of the time and people generally learn their lesson after a night in jail. People outside of law enforcement will never understand the job and I can't explain it to anyone you just have to do it. It's kinda like when you talk about Husker football and being a fan "From the outside looking in you can't understand it and from the inside looking out you can't explain it."