Houston Nutt To Resign At Arkansas?????

Okay, I realize that this post/thread violates a couple of practices - it is a rumor, and it should be in the More Sports - NCAA forum. But given the "Nutt Connection" in the intial job search for a Nebraska coach, I thought we'd start it out here. In addition, that has to be some benefit to being a mod other than having Blackshirt bitching at us to spend more time on the board...

There are some very strong rumors coming from the University of Arkansas - and from separate sources - that Huston Nutt will resign today. Allegedly, he's been having an affair with a female news person in the Fayetteville area and that the proof is in various text messages found on his UA-issued cell phone. Also, allegedy, the female news person has already been fired by her station.

Again, this is a rumor, but a very strong one. And if it is true, then about all you can say is that Arkasnas' athletic department is impolding - they fire Stan Heath as basketball coach, their first five choices to replace Heath all turn UA donw, they hire Altman who leaves after 26 hours after accepting, and now Nutt.

Sure am glad I'm a Husker fan living in this state - the natives are going to go crazy if this is true...

It seems like their fans are constantly complaining about the guy. I really don't know much about Houston Nutt as a person, but as a coach he seems to be pretty decent. They were an outstanding team last year, and he was able to recruit some of the best players in the country(McFadden, Mustain)...even if Mustain didn't work out, he was VERY highly rated.

Yet, their fans aren't happy with him at all. Its not as if they are a traditional football powerhouse who expects to be any better than what they were last year...I am just curious as to what their major complaints are about him.

It seems like their fans are constantly complaining about the guy. I really don't know much about Houston Nutt as a person, but as a coach he seems to be pretty decent. They were an outstanding team last year, and he was able to recruit some of the best players in the country(McFadden, Mustain)...even if Mustain didn't work out, he was VERY highly rated.

Yet, their fans aren't happy with him at all. Its not as if they are a traditional football powerhouse who expects to be any better than what they were last year...I am just curious as to what their major complaints are about him.

The primary complaints are:

1. Mediocre won-loss record. He has good-to-great seasons about every five years, at best.

2. One-dimensional offense. He won't pass, and in most years teams can load the box and stop Arkansas. This was one of those years in which the offensive line was mostly 5th year seniors - and the had McFadden. That doesn't happen too often...

3. Medicore recruiter. Arkansas' best classes are in the low end of the Top 25. Most years, they are considerably lower. Yes, he got McFadden and Mustain - both of whom were Arkansas kids. Arkansas rarely produces that level of talent, however. Also, remember that Mustain verballed to Arkansas, then withdrew it in December, and had to be pursuaded to sign again. Damion Williams - who was the most talented player in the "Springdale 5" that included McFadden - origianlly verballed to Florida. He later changed to Arkansas, signed with them, then left for USC when Arkansas wouldn't throw the ball - again. This year, Nutt lost the best player in Arkansas - Lee Zeimba, a huge, quick offensive tackle - to Auburn, along with one of the top quarterbacks in the state. And that happened after Mustain left, and there was only one scholarship quarterback on the roster. Nutt routinely loses one or two of the top Arkansas players to other schools each year - and in a state that produces perhaps 10 or 15 D-1 players a year, that's a lot.

Well, here's the latest...

What has been verified is that someone - no one is saying who - obtained Nutt's cell phone records. Whomever it was sent 48 very detailed pages of those records to the Arkansas Board of Trustees, the President, the Chancellor, the AD, and various media. The contents of the records have not been revealed - the alleged affair is just that...alleged.

The Board of Trustees met today from about 11:00 a.m. to about 3:30 p.m. No word on whether Nutt was discussed, but the Board apparently issued a statement of support for Nutt. Whether that was the official Board action or the action of the individual members I haven't heard.

Obviously, whomever sent the records felt that they had incriminating information. Affairs? Recruiting violations? Who knows? Things should get intersting over the next few days...

Anyway, since things are just simmering at this point, I'm going to move this to the More Sports - NCAA forum.