Looks to be some major tension amongst alumni football players

I can understand how some people want to try and forget about the past as in not live in the past and move on with what is NU football now. I really don't agree with us treating former players badly if that is indeed what is going on. We should always welcome our past football players back with open arms and treat them as family because they are part of Husker Nation. I know that some people constantly want us to go back to what was NU football and that just isn't going to happen unfortunately.

i don't expect to live in the past, but i do expect the current coaches and adminstration to embrace the tradtions and solidify the contributitions of past players/coaches that helped start and make the tradition/program the huge success as it is now known. this is just an extention of successful recruiting, you show that you care and retain the favoritism of the past alumni and players, as they are the mouth-piece and promoters of continued successful recruiting, period. to ignore them, exclude them and not make them feel really welcome, is to negate their future influence and support of the program.

example, ever watch a USC or Ohio State game and see the former greats on the sidelines? you think that doesn't have a huge effect on future recruiting? this is another example of a huge asset, possibly being squandered by a guy who is used to getting players through the draft or free agency at the pro level. on the college level all you have is your school's reputation and history of success. when you have a great tradition like ours, you should be smart enough to take advantage of it constantly and showcase the past greats as well as recruiting the next ones. being "exclusive" does nothing for your program. i think Ped especially needs to re think the way he "projects" our program as we seldom see any of our past big names on the sidelines or promoting the school. i just don't see this changing and i am saddened by the perception that is being projected by the current administration.

Great take!

Nobody wants to forget the past. but the points being made are, some of these former players were making very nasty comments when Frank was origanaly fired. The way Frank left and the comments being made definatly hinderd the search for a new coach in my opinion. Im sure some feelings behind the seen were hurt, and its posible that after S.P. has taken so much fire that he has decided to just look foward. If the assistants like Milt and George can why not the players. And yes the golf outing was tacky which hurt the purpose of the fundraiser.

George Darlington on Matt Perrault's show today Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perrault was trying to bait him with this question. "Have you ever seen the program so divided over an AD? I mean, isn't the AD somebody who everyone usually likes?"

Darlington said "not at all. Bob Devaney got a load of grief for hiring a Christian coach. People wanted his head and said Osborne wouldn't last. Hell, the fans almost ran us all out of here in '76. We almost ended up in Colorado. About 85% there as I recall. Also, there were a lot of people who didn't like Bill Byrne. A LOT of people. You just can't listen to those people. Pederson is doing a fine job and the fans should appreciate him."

"you just shouldn't listen to those people"

Words to live by.

I can understand how some people want to try and forget about the past as in not live in the past and move on with what is NU football now. I really don't agree with us treating former players badly if that is indeed what is going on. We should always welcome our past football players back with open arms and treat them as family because they are part of Husker Nation. I know that some people constantly want us to go back to what was NU football and that just isn't going to happen unfortunately.

i don't expect to live in the past, but i do expect the current coaches and adminstration to embrace the tradtions and solidify the contributitions of past players/coaches that helped start and make the tradition/program the huge success as it is now known. this is just an extention of successful recruiting, you show that you care and retain the favoritism of the past alumni and players, as they are the mouth-piece and promoters of continued successful recruiting, period. to ignore them, exclude them and not make them feel really welcome, is to negate their future influence and support of the program.

example, ever watch a USC or Ohio State game and see the former greats on the sidelines? you think that doesn't have a huge effect on future recruiting? this is another example of a huge asset, possibly being squandered by a guy who is used to getting players through the draft or free agency at the pro level. on the college level all you have is your school's reputation and history of success. when you have a great tradition like ours, you should be smart enough to take advantage of it constantly and showcase the past greats as well as recruiting the next ones. being "exclusive" does nothing for your program. i think Ped especially needs to re think the way he "projects" our program as we seldom see any of our past big names on the sidelines or promoting the school. i just don't see this changing and i am saddened by the perception that is being projected by the current administration.

Good points........ :thumbs

I am all for present day and leaving the past as just that THE PAST!!! ;)

that's ignorant. without the past there would be no present. should we just forget about george washington, abe lincoln, and martin luther king jr. because they are "in the past?"

I meant this as in the way our current team is. Many people constantly complain about our coaching staff and that we don't dominate teams the way we used to and that's where everyone needs to move on and accept what we have in front of us. I don't think any team is ever going to be that dominate again. ;)

I quite agreed. Problem is there are too many kids (like diehard) who were not even born when a lot of us went to NU and grew up knowing and understanding how this tradtion began. Only an idoit burns bridges and insults players from the past! Carrying on a special tradtion keeps the new guys coming into programs that honor past players and i mean honor and welcomes them back to that which they helped build and make a prestigious place to come play. A lot of punk kids don't understand this, they have no clue how we got to be an enviable program, they only prefer to degrade themselves through use of profanity and ignorant rants, only dragging the fanbase and program down to a trashed out level. These guys are NOT fans.

Get over yourself. I dont care if you were there when they wore leather helmets. That DOES NOT make you more of a fan than anyone else. The blue hairs dont seem to understand that.

I have no problems with past players but I do have a problem when they wear a shirt that says so and so is a dick and schedule an activity when they know damn well the university has something going on the same day. That sounds like something a bunch of "punk kids" would do.

You can go ahead and live in the past. I am going to support the program regardless of who gets to stand on the sidelines or who doesnt. Im over the past and looking forward to the future of my Huskers.

Get over yourself. I dont care if you were there when they wore leather helmets. That DOES NOT make you more of a fan than anyone else. The blue hairs dont seem to understand that.

I have no problems with past players but I do have a problem when they wear a shirt that says so and so is a dick and schedule an activity when they know damn well the university has something going on the same day. That sounds like something a bunch of "punk kids" would do.

You can go ahead and live in the past. I am going to support the program regardless of who gets to stand on the sidelines or who doesnt. Im over the past and looking forward to the future of my Huskers.

:clap:bonez:hellloooo

Well CornHOLIO, if people like Brodrick Thomas, and these other former players want to get on the radio, and t.v. and run their mouths, and bag on this program, what message does that send to recruits. They call it the original husker way, and your not a nebraska guy. How many of these people that are talking are, they act like they were all born here. I still say these former players are hypocrits, by being so offended now and not when Frank so gracefully removed the back-bone of nebraska to cover his own failure as a coach. As they said about Collier he was good at getting div-ll talent for a div-1 program.

what message does that send to recruits

It says that you need to rely on people, not Programs

and your not a nebraska guy

Excuse me? I'm at least a 4th generation Nebraskan..I've probably still got 642 relatives living there (126 more of them burried there).

I spent all but a couple of months of my 1st 30 years living there..

But that doesn't make me more of a "Nebraska guy" than Broderick.

You forget..He and past Players aren't just past players..they're also Fans.

Fans that have paid a lot more dues than joyriding 7 or 8 hours to a spring game, or giving the Alumni Association a few hundred Thousand bucks to stop pestering them...

Shoot..I'd say Nicole is more of a "Nebraska Guy" than some of you and I'm not sure she's even been there yet.

I also seriously doubt any former player didn't get upset when Frankie was purging us of their Position Coaches..Just didn't get as much airplay..And would be pointless for them to bring it up now...Especially with News people only interested in currant soundbites.

Okay, I realize it's the off-season, and things tend to get slow - which means each post is read perhaps a bit more intensely then in the season, but let's ALL settle down.

Remember, personal attacks are not permitted on the Board. Attack the post - not the poster.

No since anyone getting banned during the "silly" season.

Sense?

But yeah, I agree.

"Lord, I apologize and Hope I didn't offend any Mud Rasslers out there even though my Wife wont let me watch...Please be with the Pygmies in New Guinea..."

Seriously, I'm sorry..I should have a thicker skin when someone anonymously bags on an old friend or my Favorite State or especially..My Football team.

One other thing that Perault said, no im not a fan of the guy or his opinions but i do agree with this, he said alot of these former players are complaining because they are not given sideline passes. He brought up how you see OU players (and Texas players at Nebraska this year) on the sideline talking to current players. I agree that that would be a MAJOR distraction in my mind. If players are on the sidelines they should be paying attention to the game. I understand that they might need a break every now and then, but having ex players on the sidelines, and in the teams box, might be more of a distraction that wouldn't be worth it IMO.

One other thing that Perault said, no im not a fan of the guy or his opinions but i do agree with this, he said alot of these former players are complaining because they are not given sideline passes. He brought up how you see OU players (and Texas players at Nebraska this year) on the sideline talking to current players. I agree that that would be a MAJOR distraction in my mind. If players are on the sidelines they should be paying attention to the game. I understand that they might need a break every now and then, but having ex players on the sidelines, and in the teams box, might be more of a distraction that wouldn't be worth it IMO.

hmmmmm. doesn't seem to have a negative effect on the players for USC, OU or OSU. again, i think we are missing the boat here, by not inviting and bringing these guys back on the sidelines for the big games. great recruiting tool and a show of support for the organization. a complete missed opportunity in my opinion.

On the subject of Ex players on the sidelines, it's a non issue imo. Maybe it would help with recruiting, but i don't think it's a major benefit. In all honesty, how many current recruits (outside of NE) would know of many of our ex players? A coaching staff should have the right to make certain decisions on how to run their team, and i'm fine leaving this one up to them. Seems to me it doesn't make much of a difference one way or another anyhow.

Hmmmm...

I seen Vince Young on the sidelines during the NU/Texas game last yr (freezing his butt off) and he was being a leader once again just as a cheerleader and essentially another coach on the sidelines. You'd be surprised how a former star player can influence your team during the heat of the battle.

Its a bigger asset than many of you think.