LJS Spring Game Position Recap

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/0...c5885219242.txt

Position breakdowns after the Spring Game

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Apr 15, 2007 - 12:51:05 am CDT

Quarterbacks

In the mix: Senior Sam Keller and junior Joe Ganz will carry their competition for the starting job into preseason camp in August. Junior Beau Davis and true freshman Patrick Witt drew praise from coaches for their play this spring. Junior college transfer Zac Lee sat out spring drills with a knee injury, but will be ready for preseason camp.

Evaluation: Ganz had a “huge advantage” during spring practice having spent three years in Bill Callahan’s West Coast system, said offensive coordinator Shawn Watson. Ganz was perfecting his grasp of the offense while Keller was still learning on the run. However, if Keller makes steady and discernible progress, he likely will win the job — but not without a fight from the determined Ganz.

Stock rising: Keller, based on his 10-for-13, 193-yard passing performance Saturday. He showed good command of the offense and made scoring drives look easy at times. Of course, there was no blitzing. Stay tuned.

Advertisement

Running backs

In the mix: Junior Marlon Lucky carried a heavy load this spring. Classmate Cody Glenn showed toughness in practicing every day despite a right foot injury that dates to mid-November. Sophomore Major Culbert and true freshman Marcus Mendoza supplied depth. True freshmen Quentin Castille and Roy Helu will arrive in the summer. At fullback, as many as five players are in the mix, including J.B. Phillips, Andy Sand and Thomas Lawson. Matt Senske (back) sat out the spring, but could be a major factor.

Evaluation: Lucky, by all accounts, enjoyed a strong spring and may be poised for a breakout season (assuming his knee injury suffered Saturday isn’t serious). Coaches and teammates noted that he’s looking bigger and faster and seeing the field better. He looked pretty good Saturday. NU needs Glenn’s foot injury to heal well to give the team a second experienced I-back.

Stock rising: Glenn. He showed some power and burst Saturday in finishing with 44 yards on 11 carries. He didn’t run with the same abandon that he showed last spring and at times last season, but he showed glimpses of it.

Wide receivers

In the mix: At the “X” wideout spot, the top two are senior Maurice Purify and junior Nate Swift. “From there, it’s a tossup,” said receivers coach Ted Gilmore. Those vying for time are Todd Peterson, Menelik Holt, Will Henry and Chris Brooks. At the “Z” position, senior Terrence Nunn is the clear No. 1, with classmates Frantz Hardy and Dan Erickson dead-even going into summer conditioning, Gilmore said.

Evaluation: Gilmore said most of his “X” receivers struggled to catch the ball this spring. “Mo (Purify) has been consistent catching the ball, and the rest of them have not been consistent. Too many dropped balls at that position right now.” Hardy moved this spring from “X” to “Z” and is still learning his new position.

Stock rising: Erickson. “Dan’s ball skills might not be as good as the other receivers. But I know what I’m going to get from him — full-speed effort every single time.”

Tight ends

In the mix: This is a veteran group, with seniors J.B. Phillips, Sean Hill, Josh Mueller and junior Hunter Teafatiller. Phillips also sees time at H-back and fullback.

Evaluation: With Nebraska likely to again use two-, three-, and even four-tight end sets, depth obviously is integral at this position. The Huskers have plenty of depth here, but could use some more playmaking ability. Phillips led the group last season with 13 receptions for 82 yards and two touchdowns. Teafatiller made his catches count, with four of his five grabs going for touchdowns. Mueller also had five catches (for 26 yards and two TDs). NU coaches eagerly await the return of promising redshirt freshman Mike McNeill, who missed the spring with a shoulder injury.

Stock rising: The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Phillips made a couple of nice grabs Saturday in finishing with three receptions for 35 yards.

Offensive linemen

In the mix: Nebraska will enter preseason camp in August with a first-string line that features senior Carl Nicks at left tackle, junior Andy Christensen at left guard, senior Brett Byford at center, junior Matt Slauson at right guard and junior Lydon Murtha at right tackle. Two of the top backups — guard Mike Huff and guard/tackle Jacob Hickman — missed the entire spring with injuries. Christensen sat out Saturday with a foot sprain, with promising redshirt freshman Keith Williams starting in his place.

Evaluation: Offensive line coach Dennis Wagner likes the line’s depth. “I’ve got 11 guys who want to play, and I can take only 10 (to road games),” he said. “It’s a great situation.” The guard position is particularly well-stocked. At tackle, redshirt freshmen D.J. Jones and Mike Smith have bright futures.

Stock rising: Williams. The 6-5, 310-pound St. Louis native certainly looks the part. “He doesn’t have playing experience, but he’s ready to play,” Wagner said.

Special teams

In the mix: The Huskers are looking to replace two-year starting place-kicker Jordan Congdon. Junior Jake Wesch handled kickoff duties much of the time during the past two seasons, but has never attempted a field goal or extra point in a game. Redshirt freshman Alex Henery is also in the place-kicking mix. At punter, junior Dan Titchener returns after averaging 39.3 yards last season. Redshirt freshman Michael Such is the top backup.

Evaluation: Wesch’s importance rises because kickoffs have been pushed back 5 yards to the 30-yard line. If he’s unable to boom kickoffs and handle FGs and PATs, perhaps NU will turn to incoming freshman Adi Kunalic of Fort Worth, Texas. NU was strong last season in kickoff coverage (16th nationally), but weak in returns (112th).

Stock rising: Keep an eye on Such. Punting for both teams Saturday, he averaged 48.4 yards on seven kicks.

Defensive linemen

In the mix: Ty Steinkuhler and Ndamukong Suh will be the cornerstone players of a revamped defensive line. Steinkuhler will play defensive tackle and some base defensive end; Suh can play both tackle spots. When they’re manning the interior, Zach Potter will play base end, with Clayton Sievers and Barry Turner battling at open end. Brandon Johnson and Shukree Barfield will provide depth at nose tackle.

Evaluation: First-year defensive line coach Buddy Wyatt has a stiff challenge — replacing four starters. The interior seems solid; questions remain about the ends, especially when compared to last year’s duo of Adam Carriker and Jay Moore. Coaches say getting consistency from younger players is crucial.

Stock rising: Steinkuhler. Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said the junior will need to be able to play inside and out. “They are similar positions; he doesn’t have to take the beating he does at the three (technique) if he plays the base.”

Linebackers

In the mix: Bo Ruud has made a seamless transition to SAM, replacing Stewart Bradley. His move opens a spot for Steve Octavien at WILL, where Ruud and Octavien have split time. Corey McKeon, at MIKE, is the leader of the defense. Lance Brandenburgh can play any three linebacker spots in a backup role, or starting role, if necessary. Phillip Dillard, who missed last season because of knee surgery, could rotate at MIKE on goal-line and short-yardage plays.

Evaluation: Linebacker is a spot with few question marks. Four seniors make this position the most experienced on the team. Now, if they can stay healthy ...

Stock rising: Octavien. The senior is hoping to bust through after being held back by injuries. Look for him to come off the edge in NU’s nickel package.

Cornerbacks

In the mix: Junior college transfer Armando Murillo is a key newcomer. Cosgrove said he’s a “good cover guy” with big-play ability who’s made plays throughout the spring. He’ll join seniors Cortney Grixby and Andre Jones. With Zackary Bowman in the fold, that’s a good rotation. Bowman, though, had surgery to repair a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee, a setback for the senior who missed all of last season after an ACL tear in his left knee.

Evaluation: Bowman’s injury put a damper on Nebraska’s spring practice. Coaches seem optimistic he’ll return ahead of the six-month recovering prognosis, but it’s possible he’ll miss the nonconference season.

Stock rising: Jones. He was often criticized last season, but Jones said he’s more comfortable, and Cosgrove, for one, has noticed. “Jonesy has been a different guy out there,” he said. “I think he’s made some very, very good strides.”

Safeties

In the mix: Larry Asante comes to Nebraska with impressive junior college credentials and figures to make an immediate impact at strong safety. Tierre Green figures to improve after a year of playing free safety. Rickey Thenarse is a converted cornerback who’s still developing. Coaches are pleased with Bryan Wilson at free safety.

Evaluation: Cosgrove said the key is to develop younger players here, hence the move for Thenarse. Coaches had also moved Anthony West, but West moved back to cornerback after Bowman was sidelined. Corey Young missed spring with a shoulder injury but will also figure into the mix come fall.

Stock rising: Asante. He’s fast and physical, has playmaking ability and has been able to pick up the defense, Cosgrove said. The only drawback this spring was a nagging hamstring injury. “We had a good idea he was a good football player, and then when I saw his athletic ability and how he moves,” Cosgrove said, “I was very impressed.”

I wouldn't be hurt or surprised to see Ty slide over to BDE exclusively. Potter showed me exactly zero today.

Inside, Shukree was a factor all day, along with the Beast having his moments against the number 1 line. Suh was just being Suh -- dominant and eating up blocks. BTW, I'm still laughing how he swatted away Dennis Bergland on one play to make a play.

With Kevin Dixon in the mix come August, along with the hopeful returns of Seth Jensen and Craig Roark, I don't think we need to worry about DT as much as we do base end.

Needless to say, I'm VERY worried about that position if we play Potter there all season.

I personally wouldn't mind Potter dropping some weight and helping out the TE's.

But of course, that's JMO.

I am really worried about special team, I have not seen that many bad punts since middle school, and the longest kickoff went to the five and the longest return wsa to the thrity hopefully Kunalic can come in this fall and help off on thekicking part but this could be a major concern

i may be missing something but how come turner is in a position battle? he has played well real well for two years. the DE yesterday showed nothing. maybe the coaches just have to say its a position battle but i cant figure out how turner is having to fight for his job

I wouldn't be hurt or surprised to see Ty slide over to BDE exclusively. Potter showed me exactly zero today.

Inside, Shukree was a factor all day, along with the Beast having his moments against the number 1 line. Suh was just being Suh -- dominant and eating up blocks. BTW, I'm still laughing how he swatted away Dennis Bergland on one play to make a play.

With Kevin Dixon in the mix come August, along with the hopeful returns of Seth Jensen and Craig Roark, I don't think we need to worry about DT as much as we do base end.

Needless to say, I'm VERY worried about that position if we play Potter there all season.

I personally wouldn't mind Potter dropping some weight and helping out the TE's.

But of course, that's JMO.

Don't forget about Pierre Allen