Can Nebraska win early-season matchup with Wake?

http://www.realfootball365.com/college/art...rest070507.html

Can Nebraska win early-season matchup with Wake?

There used to be a time when Nebraska fans seeing an early-season visit to Winston-Salem North Carolina to face Wake Forest wouldn't even have blinked twice. Heck, the 2005 Cornhuskers dealt the Demon Deacons a 28-point loss. Oh, how quickly things can change.

After they won the ACC championship with a 9-6 triumph over Georgia Tech on Dec. 2, 2006 in Jacksonville, Fla., and posted an eye-opening overall season record of 11-3, it's hardly breaking news to mention that Wake deserves serious consideration from the Huskers this fall. Like Nebraska, Wake was defeated in its bowl game (24-13 to Louisville in the Orange Bowl).

Thanks to a spirited and confident defense, no team reached the 30-point plateau against the Demon Deacons last season. Although, in their two regular season losses, both at home, the Deacons gave up 27 points to Clemson and Virginia.

Jim Grobe, now in his seventh season as head coach, has turned Wake Forest into a winner, and a victory over a storied program like Nebraska would indeed be a feather in his cap.

Grobe earned ACC Coach of the Year honors for the 2006 campaign and will look to sophomore quarterback Riley Skinner to lead the offense onto the field. Skinner appeared on the scene last fall when then-starting signal caller Ben Mauk suffered an opening-game injury. After, Skinner remained the No. 1 QB for the duration of the season, throwing for just over 2,000 yards and nine touchdowns in his rookie year.

The young QB will be surrounded by some noteworthy talent, including senior Kenneth Moore. Moore is a versatile player who can get the job done as a receiver, running back and on special teams. De'Angelo Bryant, a senior, had over 330 yards and three touchdowns on the ground last fall. Kevin Marion, a senior wide receiver/kick returner, and junior Demir Bolden may provide the Demon Deacons with solid depth at the skill positions on offense. The front should be paced by Steve Justice, regarded as one of the best offensive linemen in the country.

Wake Forest's defense, which rightly garnered much attention in 2006, lost its share of standouts who are now in the NFL. However, there still are enough playmakers remaining to keep the opposition honest.

Defensive end Matt Robinson, who missed the 2006 season with a severe knee injury, will look to regain his form from 2004 and 2005. Stanley Arnoux, a junior who tallied 69 tackles last year, is returning at linebacker. Junior Eric Berry recorded 26 tackles as a backup LB to star Jon Abbate (now with the Houston Texans ) and could be a big contributor this season.

The defensive backfield looks like it can be dominant with guys like Alphonso Smith (junior cornerback) and Kevin Patterson (senior CB). Keep in mind that there are players at various positions who saw ample time in the spotlight for Wake last season.

No preview of Wake Forest would be complete without including another important cog, and that's highly touted punter and place kicker Sam Swank. The junior was tremendous for the Demon Deacons last season, hitting all of his 33 point-after attempts and finishing 23 of 31 in field goals, including a long of 53 yards. He also averaged over 41 yards per punt in 2006.

This game has all the makings of close contest, with turnovers, field position and yes special teams possibly deciding the outcome. Does Nebraska have the focus needed to win such a matchup? We'll see, but a confidence-boosting victory leading into a rematch, this time at home, against USC could be in the cards.

Original offseason Nebraska Cornhuskers insight, courtesy of RealFootball365.com

I think we have a really good shot at beating them, we should be the definite favorites there. I think with them losing a good number of players on defense that sam should be able sit behind our line and pick them apart I think he has a good apportunity to burst out onto the seen there. on defense we will be up against a sophmore quarterback, granted he started most of last season but no matter how you slice and dice it he is still a sophmore quarterback. hopefully this will be a good apurtunity for our d-line to get going against there first real competion. those are my thoughts and im new here, excited to post and not just lurk.

We are definetly going to beat Wake. This will be more of a home game than a road game with the amount of Husker fans going to be at this game.

good reasons.. :wacko:

Sure we won by 28 points in 05, but that was because our defense put 21 of those points on the board. We need to come out early and smack em in the mouth. i hope our offense is firing on all cylinders. This will be a true test of our defense before USC.

Anyone know what their projected pre-season ranking will be. If memory serves they where right around us. Cally really needs a win against a ranked opponent to kick of the year. I just hope Cally does not pull out all the stops on WF and does not leave any tricks for USC.

Callahan ALWAYS holds his cards close. I dont think we even see half the playbook until late in the year esp the "gadget" plays. With the games we have in conference, he shouldnt pull out all the stops until the bowl game (cross fingers).

we win and will do so going away 31-13

I consider myself relatively conservative about this year's Huskers, especially with a new signal caller.

Nevertheless, our last game, we slugged it out with Auburn - probably a top 5 team - and should have beaten them, with Zac not having much of a game.

I just have to think we will spank Wake badly.

This will be the kind of game where our offensive line just pummels them into submission.

Yeah, I can see us screwing up and losing, but I still think we hold the upper hand. Wake may have been good last year, but that was in the weakest ACC I have ever seen. They beat GA tech in the champ who was not very good. They lost a lot of key players, and we SHOULD have a good offense. If our D can hold their offense, which shouldn't amaze anyone, I can't see the game running away from us. Can we lose it, of course, but we can't go in there scared of them. Respect them, but certainly don't fear them.