Hasting Patriot

I don't know if this is the venue for this post, but I just have to say it to someone. You decide. If I offend someone or this is out of place, forgive me.

Hastings Patriot

Since I have been reading and posting on various Husker blogs over the last several weeks, I have found myself noticing things related to "Nebraska" catching my eye. I was reading the local (Durham, NC) newspaper, and I spotted an article about the death in Iraq of a Hastings, NE soldier, Lt. Kevin Gaspers. He was stationed nearby me at Ft. Bragg, NC. I just felt a connection. I saw where he was a student at the University of Nebraska, and I just knew he was looking forward to the USC-Nebraska game as much or more than you or I. The thing that really impressed me was that 1,400 people showed up at his funeral. People don't got to funerals for people they don't care about. At age 26, Kevin positively effected more people than most of us will our entire lives. Obviously I didn't know Kevin, but I know he was a man of character. "Character" is something I have always associated with the Nebraska football program. So, next September during the USC-Nebraska game, whether I am there in Lincoln or here watching it on TV, when the Huskers make a big play, or score, or (heaven forbid) win, I am going to whisper, "Kevin did you see that?" And I just know he is going to say, "Yeah, I got the best seat in the house!" Thats going to be the way I honor Kevin Gaspers and his companions.

TarheelTrojan

Thanks for taking the time to write your sentiments on Lt. Gaspers. I didn't know him either but I'm sure he was a man of character and thank God for him for sacrificing his life for my freedom, and God Bless all our soliders for their sacrifice.

Well stick around the board we always have good hearted disscussions with our opponents, once again thanks.

I only met Kevin once but let me tell you, I will never forget him. He was so full of life and always had a huge smile on his face. He was back in Hastings over Easter and he was having a blast with a bunch of his friends from high school. I think he talked to everyone in the Wagon Wheel the night that he was back.

On a side note, the 1,400 people at his funeral was just counting the people inside the gym for his funeral. There were many others outside the gym showing support. There was also more than 200 motorcycle riders that came to show support for the troops and keep the protesters away.

I did not know him and being from Hastings I wish I had. God bless him his family, friends and fellow soldiers.

I second that. I am from Hastings also and I have heard nothing but great things about him.

Huskernumerouno what school are you from and what year did you graduate? I am from Hastings High in 1992.

I only met Kevin once but let me tell you, I will never forget him. He was so full of life and always had a huge smile on his face. He was back in Hastings over Easter and he was having a blast with a bunch of his friends from high school. I think he talked to everyone in the Wagon Wheel the night that he was back.

On a side note, the 1,400 people at his funeral was just counting the people inside the gym for his funeral. There were many others outside the gym showing support. There was also more than 200 motorcycle riders that came to show support for the troops and keep the protesters away.

Thanks for the additional info on Kevin. Thats even more impressive. I know everyone in Hastings is proud of him. Lets remember his family & friends for their huge loss, and be thankful for men like Kevin.

TarheelTrojan

I did not know him and being from Hastings I wish I had. God bless him his family, friends and fellow soldiers.

I second that. I am from Hastings also and I have heard nothing but great things about him.

Huskernumerouno what school are you from and what year did you graduate? I am from Hastings High in 1992.

just have to chime in here, HHS 93.

and that is one thing i miss about hastings. almost everyone knows everyone and they show up for each other.