It's off-season - let's play what if......

Your the AD (which I know a lot of you out there think you could be), and Bill C wants a contract extension.

We have another "mediocre" season - either 9-5 or maybe even 10-4, but no Big 12 Championship and no win against marquee opponents (yes, yes, I know this is looking negatively at next season, and I DO NOT believe this will happen. But this is the "what if" game).

However, it looks like Bill C is going to pull of the Number 1 recruiting class in the Nation. In fact, far and away the number 1 class (maybe not just wishful thinking given our current committments).

Do you give him a big fat contract extension?

Well, obviously if he goes 14-0 you would give him a contract extension - and a fat one too boot.

This was not intended to be a prediction thread on next year's season, and I do believe that he has the team moving in the right direction.

Further, it was not intended to ask if we should fire Callahan.

I believe he is in year 4 of a 6 year contract (please someone correct me if I am wrong here). What this is intended to ask is, do you give him a contract extension this year (if he has a similar season to last year) or do you wait another year.

Oooh. Oooh. But what if he goes 12-2, wins the Big XII Championship, but gets embarassed in the bowl game, then soon after rumors come about of an affair he has with a Rivals.com Top 10 recruit's mom while on a recruiting visit?!?! Yeah...then what if?!?!

You can what if all you want, I do it myself from time to time.....but I gotta agree with skersfan on this particular 'what if'.

PS - If I am 'what iffing' I think if the whole Callahan hire comes up as a 'failure' then the whole Stevie P experiment goes down as a failure. If he fires Callahan for non-performance, then he is cutting his own throat.

yeah, "what if" scenarios suck, cause there are always more than anyone can think up at any given moment. alot depends on the kind of season we have, injuries, wins/losses, how bad the losses, how big the wins, other rumored offers coming from the NFL near the end of the season, etc., etc., etc. we could play this game until September, but I think Pedy sticks with Cally for at least one more 4 year extension with a big fat pay raise. just a hunch.

Let's play what if if you wanna so bad. What if BC Nutt's us and applies for or shows interest in another job? He comes back reportedly going to get the job but tells Pud he'll stay if he gets paid 2 million bucks a year. Does Pud give him the raise and a contract extension?

$2 Million a year - hmmmmm, very interesting question. I definitely think he has the team going in the right direction, he is recruiting very well, and I love to keep continuity in coaching staff. While $2 M a year is a lot for 9 win seasons (which is our best season to this point), it is definitely not out of the realm for an improving team.

If it is in the budget, I'd probably give him a short extension (maybe 3 to 4 years) at that rate and explain to him the performance requirements of a $2 M salary. At a minimum, one Big 12 Championship, becoming as much as a fixture in the Big 12 Championship game as possible, and top ten finishes. Notice I did not say a National Championship was a necessity because that depends on luck too much (i.e. minimal injuries, a lucky bounce here and there, and well, not having 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season so it is left up to the polls).

I KNOW SP would have to give him an extension as it is noted above - if Callahan leaves prior to bringing us back to National Prominence it will be looked as a failure by SP.

yeah, "what if" scenarios suck, cause there are always more than anyone can think up at any given moment. alot depends on the kind of season we have, injuries, wins/losses, how bad the losses, how big the wins, other rumored offers coming from the NFL near the end of the season, etc., etc., etc. we could play this game until September, but I think Pedy sticks with Cally for at least one more 4 year extension with a big fat pay raise. just a hunch.

I agree, but I did basically state that we have a similar year as last year - so wins & losses were defined (I'd even consider the "badness" of losses and "goodness" of wins similar), would say injuries the same - so mainly one "difference maker" potentially out (Bowman was that difference maker last year) with minor issues throughout the season. I did not think about other potential offers coming to BC, which is definitely the wild card in the mix. So, probably an ill defined question. -- I also did not define what BC's asking price was.

I agree that Pedy will stick with BC for at least one more extension regardless of what happens. I can't say that I would disagree with that decision at this point either.

I agree, but I did basically state that we have a similar year as last year - so wins & losses were defined (I'd even consider the "badness" of losses and "goodness" of wins similar), would say injuries the same - so mainly one "difference maker" potentially out (Bowman was that difference maker last year) with minor issues throughout the season. I did not think about other potential offers coming to BC, which is definitely the wild card in the mix. So, probably an ill defined question.

I agree that Pedy will stick with BC for at least one more extension regardless of what happens. I can't say that I would disagree with that decision at this point either.

sorry, wasn't complaining about your scenarios, the point is there are just too many variables out there that we could go on forever, but i think most people have it figured out that Pedy will continue with Cally for another contract, as long as the wheels don't fall off and recruiting stays successful.

Your the AD (which I know a lot of you out there think you could be), and Bill C wants a contract extension.

We have another "mediocre" season - either 9-5 or maybe even 10-4, but no Big 12 Championship and no win against marquee opponents (yes, yes, I know this is looking negatively at next season, and I DO NOT believe this will happen. But this is the "what if" game).

However, it looks like Bill C is going to pull of the Number 1 recruiting class in the Nation. In fact, far and away the number 1 class (maybe not just wishful thinking given our current committments).

He gets the extension. The record isn't the determining factor. More to the point, though, is the recruiting. The reason Solich was fired was recruiting - or lack thereof. If Callahan pulls in the kind of class he looks like he's going to get, you don't fire him - especially if the record is no worse than last season. You sign him and you don't let other schools harm our recruiting by suggesting that the coach will be fired.

I agree, but I did basically state that we have a similar year as last year - so wins & losses were defined (I'd even consider the "badness" of losses and "goodness" of wins similar), would say injuries the same - so mainly one "difference maker" potentially out (Bowman was that difference maker last year) with minor issues throughout the season. I did not think about other potential offers coming to BC, which is definitely the wild card in the mix. So, probably an ill defined question.

sorry, wasn't complaining about your scenarios, the point is there are just too many variables out there that we could go on forever, but i think most people have it figured out that Pedy will continue with Cally for another contract, as long as the wheels don't fall off and recruiting stays successful.

I agree way too many variables.

I was just looking for something else to "guess" about because I can only "guess" about the upcoming season so much - too many variables due to injuries to us, injuries to the teams we play, players that could be discplined, players that don't live up to the hype, players that over achieve, impact freshman/JUCO transfers, boneheaded play calls (or if they work - coaching genius), weather.... etc. etc. And I can only "guess" about the Mo Purify incident so much as well; we don't and probably never will have all of the facts so all anybody is doing is projecting what they think will happen to some kids future based on incomplete knowledge of the facts... These seem to be the two hot topics on all the boards now that the draft is done. Just looking for something else to spark some conversation.

S

He gets the extension. The record isn't the determining factor. More to the point, though, is the recruiting. The reason Solich was fired was recruiting - or lack thereof. If Callahan pulls in the kind of class he looks like he's going to get, you don't fire him - especially if the record is no worse than last season. You sign him and you don't let other schools harm our recruiting by suggesting that the coach will be fired.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........... Let's see, when exactly did I suggest that our coach would be fired? Is his contract up? If it is, then my "what if" scenrario is in no way valid and he should be re-signed as quickly as SP can get a pen and paper together -hell write it on a napkin in crayon! As I stated before I thought he was in year 4 of a 6 year contract. So, not signing a contract extension is in no way firing him - it is only keeping the status quo - i.e. not granting him a pay raise at this point. As it has been my experience that you grant contract extension to give a pay raise that was not in the original contract.

I do agree that having other job offers was not in my original scenario, and a major flaw in the scenario. If we are afraid of losing him (i.e. think he may leave), I would definitely negotiate a contract extension.