Revenge Games

i know this is kind of a repost but the last thread didn't have mention of Oklahoma State.

i loved it when we beat Okie State in '03 and Kansas, Missouri last year to get them back for those frickin goal post games.

did we lose to Okie State last year or did we just meltdown? and if it was just a meltdown, is there anything really to worry about except for their QB and that beast of a WR?

I think it was a meltdown on offense and one big hit away on defense. If Shanle would have laid Bowman out right before the half instead of letting him score, it might have been a different game.

There were far too many "ifs" with Shanle last year, man I hope our secondary is better.

Serious meltdown. In 2005 we got behind but came firing back. In 2006 we got up on the opponents and let them come firing back. We simply just let up on offense and defense. And yeah, Shanle...our defense will be better without him. We have guys that want to hit, not just be in on a gang tackle.

I think it was a meltdown on offense and one big hit away on defense. If Shanle would have laid Bowman out right before the half instead of letting him score, it might have been a different game.

There were far too many "ifs" with Shanle last year, man I hope our secondary is better.

You got that right!!!! I remember him holding back on that play and I was HOT!!!! I know when I played some safety and defensive back in high school that you never let those opportune hits just go by!!!! :angry:

Okie Lite to me isn't a revenge game as the only ones we have to get revenge on for that game is ourselves.

It was clear in the begining of that game that we were clearly the better team and we were rolling over them, dominating both sides of the LOS and were able to move the ball and stop them when needed... however, similar to the Kansas game, we let the foot off the pedal on D and shut down the offense trying to "protect" our lead instead of building on it.

I don't see that happening again this year, and if it does it lends itself to us having a big problem with attitude, play calling and conditioning more to anyone else being better than we are.

Okie Lite to me isn't a revenge game as the only ones we have to get revenge on for that game is ourselves.

It was clear in the begining of that game that we were clearly the better team and we were rolling over them, dominating both sides of the LOS and were able to move the ball and stop them when needed... however, similar to the Kansas game, we let the foot off the pedal on D and shut down the offense trying to "protect" our lead instead of building on it.

I don't see that happening again this year, and if it does it lends itself to us having a big problem with attitude, play calling and conditioning more to anyone else being better than we are.

:yeah

No disrespect Blackshirt316, but the Huskers didn't take their foot off the pedal against Kansas. If you remember, Nebraska jumped out to an early lead because of turnovers!!! KU had over 500 yards of offense on you. Your defense didn't just shut down and let KU score!! LOL. Both teams were evenly matched right down to the end and that was proved on the field.

No disrespect Blackshirt316, but the Huskers didn't take their foot off the pedal against Kansas. If you remember, Nebraska jumped out to an early lead because of turnovers!!! KU had over 500 yards of offense on you. Your defense didn't just shut down and let KU score!! LOL. Both teams were evenly matched right down to the end and that was proved on the field.

And for the record, Nebraska NEVER shut down their offense against KU. I do recall your QB had over 300 yards and 4 TD's..............nice excuse though......

I don't think Oklahoma State is going to be messing around next year. Lots of good skill players coming back. I am already losing sleep thinking about them coming down to Athens for the opener in September. I will be sure to scout them out then and let everyone know what to look out for.

Tom

there is no doubt, our athletes don't dominate anymore, even against the Big 12 north. that being said, the Missouri, KU, Okie state and even KSU games are going to all be tough to win. the x factor will be coaching and playcalling and that will decide the winners. don't see it any other way.

there is no doubt, our athletes don't dominate anymore, even against the Big 12 north. that being said, the Missouri, KU, Okie state and even KSU games are going to all be tough to win. the x factor will be coaching and playcalling and that will decide the winners. don't see it any other way.

Exactly. Big time programs have big time coaches that prove the X factor to help decide tough games. I think we are just about to go over that hump and I hope that is the case this year. Even though there are some questions on our team, I think the X factor will definitely help us prevail in most cases. But that means we can't get CONSERVATIVE!!

We took our foot off the pedal in both the Kansas game and the Okie Light game, just in different ways... in the Okie Light game our scheme changed to more of a protection gameplan and we simply quit attacking.

The Kansas game was more of a player issue and not a coaching one. The coaches didn't let up in the Kansas game but some of the players felt they could half ass it and continue to do all game what they did in the first fifteen minutes. The defensive players most significantly, clearly took things down a notch and tried to coast, and once they realized they couldn't do that the momentum had turned and our guys had a hard time getting back into their groove and the flow of the game.

sorry, I don't see it that way for either game. we were outmanned, outplayed and outcoached in both games (through 4 quarters), especially outmanned in the OSU game. a lot of the same players are coming back this year for OSU again. there is no reason to think they will lay down for us either.

if we don't win both these games then we sure won't "restore the order" and we won't be seen as making progress either. we can't afford to lose these games again.

We took our foot off the pedal in both the Kansas game and the Okie Light game, just in different ways... in the Okie Light game our scheme changed to more of a protection gameplan and we simply quit attacking.

The Kansas game was more of a player issue and not a coaching one. The coaches didn't let up in the Kansas game but some of the players felt they could half ass it and continue to do all game what they did in the first fifteen minutes. The defensive players most significantly, clearly took things down a notch and tried to coast, and once they realized they couldn't do that the momentum had turned and our guys had a hard time getting back into their groove and the flow of the game.

I have to disagree as well. I was at the KU/Nebraska game and the NU players NEVER let up. That is the biggest cop out statement ever. The teams were evenly matched. Nu jumped out to their big lead early off turnovers, after that, it was a sluggfest. Sloppy defense the whole way through. I'm tired of listening to this "taking the foot off the pedal theory". I would give your coach more credit than that. That's something Coach C wouldn't allow. Just admit that KU was a whole lot better than you originally thought Blackshirt316. No more pedal statements...please!