Breaking News -- Maurice Purify.....

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2398642

Published Friday | June 8, 2007

NU Football: Purify cited on suspicion of drunken driving

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify was cited early Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Deb Collins, public information coordinator for the Nebraska State Patrol, said Purify was stopped near North 1st Street and Cornhusker Highway in Lincoln. According to Collins, Purify was pulled over around 12:25 a.m. for speeding and failure to signal a turn.

No blood-alcohol level was released for Purify, 21, from Eureka, Calif.

Purify five weeks ago was involved in an incident at a Lincoln bar that led to charges of assault, failure to comply, resisting arrest and trespassing. Purify was believed to be headed for a pre-trial diversion program for that legal matter, and wasn't required to be in Lancaster County Court on Thursday for his scheduled arraignment.

It is not immediately known if the DUI charge would violate that agreement.

Purify is an All-Big 12 candidate who ranked as the Huskers' second-leading receiver last season, catching 34 passes for 630 yards and seven touchdowns. His last-second 9-yard TD catch on a Zac Taylor pass at Texas A&M gave NU a 28-27 lead.

Well this is certainly some of the worst news we could hear at this point. I'll not say that an entire season hinges on Mo's performance––or lack thereof––but logically progressing his career after what we've seen would indicate a monster receiver this coming season, a season where we probably cannot afford to lose anyone of value, particularly a monster receiver.

On the other hand we can try to see the sunshine behind the clouds and rejoice that at least this (alleged) drunken idiot is throwing his life away before fall camp and this coming season. How much more would this sting if it broke the Wednesday before we butt heads with USC?

What baffles me more than anything about Purify and his antics is this: he has the potential to make millions of dollars playing a game that he enjoys and what does he do instead? He gets in barfights and cruises around drunk. Rock bottom is a college education, as they say, and Mo seems to be doing everything within his power to see that any hope he has of a successful future is ruined. At this point I'm almost willing to classify him as nothing but a liability, and earnestly hope he's thrown off the team before he infects anyone else. Nebraska doesn't need to have its rep tarnished for this guy.

And USC must be raized to the ground.

Well this is certainly some of the worst news we could hear at this point. I'll not say that an entire season hinges on Mo's performance––or lack thereof––but logically progressing his career after what we've seen would indicate a monster receiver this coming season, a season where we probably cannot afford to lose anyone of value, particularly a monster receiver.

On the other hand we can try to see the sunshine behind the clouds and rejoice that at least this (alleged) drunken idiot is throwing his life away before fall camp and this coming season. How much more would this sting if it broke the Wednesday before we butt heads with USC?

What baffles me more than anything about Purify and his antics is this: he has the potential to make millions of dollars playing a game that he enjoys and what does he do instead? He gets in barfights and cruises around drunk. Rock bottom is a college education, as they say, and Mo seems to be doing everything within his power to see that any hope he has of a successful future is ruined. At this point I'm almost willing to classify him as nothing but a liability, and earnestly hope he's thrown off the team before he infects anyone else. Nebraska doesn't need to have its rep tarnished for this guy.

And USC must be raized to the ground.

Completely agree. Hell our reputation is still tainted from an incident 12 years ago. Boot him, move on and focus on the development of guys like Henry, Brooks, Holt and Paul

This was posted after it came out that Purify was going to pre-trial diversion....less than 2 weeks ago.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait to hear from everyone that said he needs to be suspended,

why isnt cally making a statement. That is the freaking reason why.

I can't wait for KCHusker and other folks with the "innocent until proven guilty" blinders on. The guy is going to be a problem from here on out. He's a stud athlete...but no brain. Time to thank him for his time and wish him good luck with his season-long workouts preparing for the '08 draft.

I know there are going to be many of the husker die-hards that say..."Oh, it's just a mistake. I've been in a bunch of bar fights. I've had a couple of DUI's. Blah, Blah, Blah..." That's fine. Gongrats on your quick fists and ability to drink and drive. Here's the thing. None of you have done it with a full ride scholarship and every news outlet watching your next move.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

06/08/07

11:47:43 am, Categories: -Football by Steve Sipple

Purify cited for DWI

Maurice Purify was cited for DWI after being stopped by the State Patrol at 12:25 a.m. Friday at North First Street and Cornhusker Highway, according to Deb Collins, spokesperson for the State Patrol.

Reached late Friday morning, Purify said he hadn't spoken with Nebraska coach Bill Callahan about his latest arrest. Asked if he expects to remain a member of the team, Purify said, "I hope so." He declined further comment.

Purify was arrested May 5 on suspicion of two counts of assault, trespassing, failure to comply and resisting arrest. The charges stemmed from an alleged altercation at a downtown Lincoln tavern.

Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten of Lincoln, said Purify had been offered pretrial diversion for the May 5 incident and was in the process of deciding whether to sign up. Braaten said he was unsure how Purify's latest arrest might affect matters.

"It'll be something that needs to be put into consideration," Braaten said.

***SNIP***

Purify's attorney, Jon Braaten of Lincoln, said Purify had been offered pretrial diversion for the May 5 incident and was in the process of deciding whether to sign up. Braaten said he was unsure how Purify's latest arrest might affect matters.

"It'll be something that needs to be put into consideration," Braaten said.

My guess is that, in addition to possibly wrecking his college career, Mo has also destroyed his chance for a pre-trial diversion. While the evidence of the assult is no stronger or "better", this other charge certainly gives prosecutors a much stronger negotiating position for a plea agreement rather than a pre-trial diversion.