Steinkuhler is at head of the class

He is going to be a monster. It's funny, because last year Niles Paul was the best player to come out of Nebraska in years, now it's Steinkuhler. Maybe Nebraska will start to turn out good prospects.

I know steinkuhler is great but watch out for Vondrae Tostensen in 2009. The future looks bright. :)

if NU can keep him home and not ler him get away to ND

He is going to be a monster. It's funny, because last year Niles Paul was the best player to come out of Nebraska in years, now it's Steinkuhler. Maybe Nebraska will start to turn out good prospects.

I don't mean to split hairs here, but Nebraska has been turning out very good players. The Mackovika's, Schlesinger, Ahman Green and his cousin Tierre, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Terry Connealy, the Zatecha brothers, the Ruud brothers. Several Nebraska players were on the championship teams, and they were vital players on those teams.

Those were very good players but I think the point is that there haven't been very many Nationally recruited players out of Nebraska in a while. They were very good home grown talent but weren't very noticed outside of the state. Paul and Steinkuhler are two nationally ranked recruits which is something that the state has lacked for a while.

Maybe the point should be that you don't have to have nationally recruited players to win championships? All jokes aside, Scott Frost was a nationally recruited players. I mean the father of the WCO heavily recruited him to Stanford. If memory serves me right, I believe David Horne was a nationally recruited RB. I think he was a 4 star? I think Notre Dame and a few other schools tried to recruit Ahman Green.

Nebraska has always had some great talent within the state. At times, they simply had more than at other times which I think is why we were so successful in the mid-90's. I think we sometimes overlook the talent we have here at home. Again, I don't know what you consider nationally recruited but Everidge was recruited by KState and then chose to go there. Billups (sp) was a great talent from around Omaha that ended up getting recruited and chose Iowa State a few years ago. I'm not saying Nebraska is a hotbed for talent such as states like Florida, Texas, and California. However, we have had and made good use of the talent here at home. I mean Eric Crouch did win the friggin Heisman. I don't care how much you were recruited nationally, only a very special player typically wins the Heisman.

The players that Nebraska has had in the state have done great things for our teams at UNL. There have been some great players that have come from Nerbaska and do great things. Frost, Green, Horne, even Crouch. But, with the exception of Crouch those guys were all in the mid to late 90's. Which proves the point of it has been a while since Nebraska had big time wants. I think its phenomenal that we finally are producing good talent again. I dont want to think of this but....its been 10 years since we won our last national championship. Since that time the talent level from our state, on a national plane, has been less then stellar.

I personally wonder if the success of the Huskers either helps or hurts the demand for athletes from our state. It would be interesting to see some stats that correlate recruit rankings to succes of teams. It always seems to me like when a team starts winning all of a sudden where they pulled their talent from becomes a hot bed for recruiting. Either way...I am happy to see that there in state players receiving national attention BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY that they are commiting to play for Nebraska. I think Cally has the ship righted when it comes to recruiting and I hope he keeps pulling in the homegrown talent. Ya gotta love when the local kids are doing well. GBR!!! :bonez

As far as being upset about not winning a NC in ten years, aside from USC and Miami what team has won more than one national championship in less than ten years? Texas was forever ago before theirs in 06'. Floridas was in 96', Ohio St. was in 02' and before that I have no idea when there last one was. Florida St. was in 99 and before that it was 93'. LSU split a NC in 02' I believe. Oklahoma went to I think three and came away with only one NC, and I cant even remember when they won their last one. Tennessee, Auburn, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St., Georgia, every big time program you can think of besides Miami and USC has its own struggles, ours are no different. We are back on track and fully expect to be COMPETING for a NC either this year or within the next two or three.

As far as being upset about not winning a NC in ten years, aside from USC and Miami what team has won more than one national championship in less than ten years? Texas was forever ago before theirs in 06'. Floridas was in 96', Ohio St. was in 02' and before that I have no idea when there last one was. Florida St. was in 99 and before that it was 93'. LSU split a NC in 02' I believe. Oklahoma went to I think three and came away with only one NC, and I cant even remember when they won their last one. Tennessee, Auburn, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn St., Georgia, every big time program you can think of besides Miami and USC has its own struggles, ours are no different. We are back on track and fully expect to be COMPETING for a NC either this year or within the next two or three.

I actually was actually saying that it makes me feel like im getting older cause it was 10 years ago but it doenst seem like it. Not in dissapointment just getting older ;)

I don't mean to split hairs here, but Nebraska has been turning out very good players. The Mackovika's, Schlesinger, Ahman Green and his cousin Tierre, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Terry Connealy, the Zatecha brothers, the Ruud brothers. Several Nebraska players were on the championship teams, and they were vital players on those teams.

kelsays brothers. Chris was recuited by several big time school, and has had himself a nice little NFL career so far.

Hate to say it, but I'm kinda warming to the idea of Baker playing on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes, yes, I know he is a great high school offensive lineman -- but with that size and speed for a high school player, he is entering Adam Carriker like freak status.

The crazy thing is, Adam had to work to get the body and speed that Baker ALREADY has. Of course, Baker will have to improve his strength by alot to get to Carriker's level, though.

But a guy with Baker's size, strength and speed coming off the edge would help solve some of our problems we have right now while we are looking for DE's.

Of course, it's hard to justify moving someone like Baker who could be protecting Lee, Witt of Gabbert's blindside for years to come.

The more I post, the more I become torn on the original intent of my post. HA

if we are going to move him, lets see if he has any hands!! can you imagine him playing TE?? it would be like having 3 tackles. never going to happen, but fun to think about