Steinkuhler is at head of the class

Published Tuesday | June 12, 2007

NU Football: Steinkuhler is at the head of the class

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Rarely does a candidate emerge to bypass a redshirt season in college even before he's played football as a high school senior.

Baker Steinkuhler, an offensive lineman from Lincoln Southwest, ranks as the top college prospect from a Nebraska high school in perhaps a decade.Baker Steinkuhler looks equipped to do it.

In fact, Steinkuhler, after concluding 50 hours at Big Red Football School on Tuesday morning at Memorial Stadium, might be ready to play at Nebraska right now.

"He's pretty freakish," Lincoln Southwest teammate Graham Stoddard said. "I'm ready to see him play on Sundays. And it's not going to be too long before he's there."

Steinkuhler, the first to commit last September for the Huskers' recruiting class of 2008, ranks as the top college prospect from a Nebraska high school in perhaps a decade. Eric Crouch, a 1997 recruit, was a Parade All-American at Millard North. Ahman Green, a 1995 recruit, was a USA Today All-American at Omaha Central.

Steinkuhler is one of 27 players nationally designated with a five-star ranking by rivals.com - and the first from Nebraska.

The 6-foot-6, 290-pound Steinkuhler is a physical marvel as an offensive lineman. He has the physique of a middle linebacker and reportedly shares the work ethic of his father, Dean Steinkuhler, who won the Outland Trophy and the Lombardi Award at NU in 1983.

With his credentials and firmly secured scholarship, Steinkuhler could have skipped the NU camp altogether or attended just one day like many prospects.

Not only did Steinkuhler attend the entire session, clearly he took it seriously. On Sunday, he ran a personal best 40-yard dash in 4.71 seconds.

By comparison, the top offensive linemen drafted into the NFL in April, Joe Thomas (pick No. 3 of the first round) and Levi Brown (No. 5) ran the 40 this spring in 5.09 and 5.3 seconds, respectively.

"I don't know how I do it," Steinkuhler said. "I just do it."

Steinkuhler is a man of few words, an indication of his businesslike approach that has endeared him already to the Nebraska coaches. NU assistants rotated in and out of position Tuesday by his side.

He spent much of the final practice session matched directly against fellow Nebraska recruit Dan Hoch. The 6-7, 301-pound Hoch, from Harlan, Iowa, is also rated as the top college prospect in his state. Steinkuhler appeared to often get the best of their battles.

Hoch said Steinkuhler is "not even comparable to what I've seen" in high school.

"But it's really nice, because he helps you know what you need to improve on," Hoch said. "He's someone that I'll obviously want as a teammate."

In the final hour of camp, Steinkuhler slipped at the start of the fastest-man finals in the super-heavyweight division, losing out to 6-4, 230-pound tight end Tim Biere of Omaha Westside.

Still, the big guy ran a respectable race. There's more to a great lineman, of course, than an eye-popping 40-yard dash time. But Steinkuhler does not appear deficient in any area.

"I thought it was something I should do, coming to camp," he said. "It always helps to get more practice."

A big fan

Hoch was thrilled to practice with Steinkuhler and fellow lineman and recruit Trevor Robinson of Elkhorn, who attended part of the first camp session in Lincoln.

"They're going to be my teammates," Hoch said, "so it's great to know them."

He's just disappointed he can't participate alongside Blaine Gabbert this weekend in the Elite Quarterback Academy. Gabbert, who accepted a Nebraska offer last month, ranks as the nation's No. 3 QB, according to rivals.com.

Hoch kept close tabs on Gabbert when both attended a combine recently in Columbia, Mo.

"It's awesome watching him," Hoch said. "He's the real deal."

The next session of Big Red Football School starts Thursday. The quarterback academy runs Saturday through Monday. Gabbert, 6-5 and 230 pounds out of Ballwin, Mo., headlines that event.

The kicking academy is set for June 21 and 22, with a new, seven-on-seven tournament June 23.

Auditioning

While Steinkuhler and Hoch use camp at Nebraska to meet future teammates, it serves an additional purpose for a player like Biere.

The Westside tight end is looking to impress the Huskers. He has already received offers from Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado State and Ohio. The Nebraska coaches told him they were impressed.

"It went well. I got a lot of work in and did a lot of one-on-one," Biere said. "I hope it made a strong impression."

The situation is similar for Stoddard, a 6-2, 215-pound outside linebacker and fullback at Lincoln Southwest. He raised his profile Tuesday by winning the heavyweight division of the fastest-man competition.

He is also receiving looks from Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Colorado State, Vanderbilt and Oregon.

owh

Hate to say it, but I'm kinda warming to the idea of Baker playing on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes, yes, I know he is a great high school offensive lineman -- but with that size and speed for a high school player, he is entering Adam Carriker like freak status.

The crazy thing is, Adam had to work to get the body and speed that Baker ALREADY has. Of course, Baker will have to improve his strength by alot to get to Carriker's level, though.

But a guy with Baker's size, strength and speed coming off the edge would help solve some of our problems we have right now while we are looking for DE's.

Of course, it's hard to justify moving someone like Baker who could be protecting Lee, Witt of Gabbert's blindside for years to come.

The more I post, the more I become torn on the original intent of my post. HA

kind of entertained the thought of d=line myself for baker. then thought of the team next. imagine a kid anchoring the o=line for 4 years. not having to worry about a position for that long and having dominating play week in and week out in practice and games...it will make everyone around him better for at least 3 years.

kind of entertained the thought of d=line myself for baker. then thought of the team next. imagine a kid anchoring the o=line for 4 years. not having to worry about a position for that long and having dominating play week in and week out in practice and games...it will make everyone around him better for at least 3 years.

From that way it sounds if he is this good, hopefully he stays all four years. He sounds like a freak and I hope we dont have another Raiola or Fonoti on our hands in the aspect of leaving early. It may be different since he is homegrown and his dad went here. Cant wait to see that offensive line of Baker, Hoch, and Trevor. Joe Dailey could probably even get a pass off behind these guys!

From that way it sounds if he is this good, hopefully he stays all four years. He sounds like a freak and I hope we dont have another Raiola or Fonoti on our hands in the aspect of leaving early. It may be different since he is homegrown and his dad went here. Cant wait to see that offensive line of Baker, Hoch, and Trevor. Joe Dailey could probably even get a pass off behind these guys!

Only to have it picked off and turned into 6! :lol::nutz ahh, those were the days

He is going to be a monster. It's funny, because last year Niles Paul was the best player to come out of Nebraska in years, now it's Steinkuhler. Maybe Nebraska will start to turn out good prospects.

I don't mean to split hairs here, but Nebraska has been turning out very good players. The Mackovika's, Schlesinger, Ahman Green and his cousin Tierre, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost, Terry Connealy, the Zatecha brothers, the Ruud brothers. Several Nebraska players were on the championship teams, and they were vital players on those teams.