NFL Europe

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the ending of NFL Europe? Personally, I thought it was probably a good thing for some players to go over there and play against a somewhat lower caliber of players and develop and touch up on a few skills. I guess I didn't realize that there were only 6 teams in the league in which 4 were from Germany alone. What do you guys think?

I think it's going to hurt the players over there obviously because now they aren't going to be able to show their stuff on the field as easily!!!! Why in the hell does the NFL want to take teams from like Philadelphia and where ever else and have them play in Germany?! Now it's turning into a NASCAR type of retarded situation!!!! I think that's stupid.................

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the ending of NFL Europe? Personally, I thought it was probably a good thing for some players to go over there and play against a somewhat lower caliber of players and develop and touch up on a few skills. I guess I didn't realize that there were only 6 teams in the league in which 4 were from Germany alone. What do you guys think?

I hate to see it end. It was an opportunity for some kids to develop their skills and actually make the league – which is always a good thing, because those kids will be hungrier than a lot of high draft picks and will play with more emotion.

I think it's going to hurt the players over there obviously because now they aren't going to be able to show their stuff on the field as easily!!!! Why in the hell does the NFL want to take teams from like Philadelphia and where ever else and have them play in Germany?! Now it's turning into a NASCAR type of retarded situation!!!! I think that's stupid.................

I think, for the NFL, it was very much a cost/benefit decision. They are spending a tonne on NFL Europe. The number of players that they develop enough through that league that actually contribute to the NFL is relatively small. But more importantly, that league wasn’t driving interest in the NFL or “American” football enough for the money the NFL was spending. Better, in the NFL’s eyes, to send teams over with established stars.

I'm totally missing the NASCAR comparison.... If you're referring to the circut racing overseas, that has only happened a handful (not even that) of times. I think they have raced in Mexico once, maybe in Japan/China. But not much more than that.

If you could clarify...

I'm totally missing the NASCAR comparison.... If you're referring to the circut racing overseas, that has only happened a handful (not even that) of times. I think they have raced in Mexico once, maybe in Japan/China. But not much more than that.

If you could clarify...

Yeah I'm talking about NASCAR going to Mexico and I think they are talking about doing more races in other countries. It's just taking the sports and in a way it feels like they are pushing it on other countries??? I just don't like it.

• 5 months later...

Won't be THAT big of a deal. We have all kinds of indoor football now, the Canadian league, X-League in Japan, GFL in Germany, South American Union of American Football in South America, IFAF World Cup of American Football and on and on and on. ....There's something like 80 countries that now play American football professionally. Plenty of opportunity for guys to go play. There isn't a day of the year there isn't a bevy of games being played somewhere.

Now if we can just get 'em on TV here in the states, we'd be all set. Contact your congressman..........

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Europe was mostly supported by US Military, hense the majority of teame being in Germany.

Lets face it the rest of the world is nuts for soccer and will probably remain so. To play soccer all you need is two goals, a field, some T-shirts, shorts, jock straps, socks, shoes, and a ball. Lots cheaper than outfitting a football team.

Too bad the NFL can't contract 3, 4 teams (the ones that never really compeat) and start a league in medium sized cities that is a place for those kids who could play if only they had a chance to play and really be seen.

>>>T_O_B