Is Nebraska talent level on "D" better/worse than 2001??

The LB's this year are a lot better than the ones from 2001 ( the rapist, Shanle, and Burrow), the D-Line this year I think has more potential and speed than 2001 (Kabongo, Adams, Kelsay, and Lohr...these guys didnt play bad, just weren't great), but our CB's in 2001 were better (the refs didn't call ANYTHING on the WR's from Miami) with Craver and Groce, but the saftey play of Booker and Sweeney (**shutters**) was not great.

I think we have better talent with less experience and more injuries.

DL-> More potential, but can't say they're better yet than 2001 due to PT

LB's->Better

CB's->We play with a midget.

FS/SS->Great potential, need to show it on the field

I agree with Overland. We have great LBs this year, and if Bowman comes back healthy a lot of coverage problems go away.

But our 2001 defense was pretty darn good—ending up ranked 8th in overall defense in the nation that year. No way this year’s defense will be ranked that high. We have a much tougher schedule this year.

BTW, the B12 had a lot of great defenses in 2001, with four of the top ten overall defenses in D1: UT(1), KSU(3), OU(4) and NU(8).

Just because most of our d line hasnt played much, I don't think you, skrsOVRsc, can call them a wash. Just because we lost Carriker and Moore doesn't mean that they are irreplacable. I think our defense will be better than 01 if everyone stays healthy.

No you misunderstood what I meant. They are a wash as in they are equal to the D line of 2001. I happen to have alot of faith and high hopes for our D line this year, I think they will suprise alot of teams!

I agree with Overland. We have great LBs this year, and if Bowman comes back healthy a lot of coverage problems go away.

But our 2001 defense was pretty darn good—ending up ranked 8th in overall defense in the nation that year. No way this year’s defense will be ranked that high. We have a much tougher schedule this year.

BTW, the B12 had a lot of great defenses in 2001, with four of the top ten overall defenses in D1: UT(1), KSU(3), OU(4) and NU(8).

Here again, it's an apples and oranges comparison because of what you stated: we play a much tougher schedule. If this year's defense ranks 25th but we play a much tougher schedule, I don't know how you can say they weren't just as good or better than the 8th ranked defense in 2001. Personally, I don't like the LB's on either defense. IMO, we need a lot more speed at this position than what we had in 2001 and what we have this year. The LB's were one of the biggest reasons CU shredded our defense to put up 62 points on us. Not only did they get juked out of their jockstraps, they didn't have the speed to recover and make a tackle. On the 2001 squad, the LB's were the weakest link. This year, I don't see from a speed factor much difference. The front 4 in 2001 was pretty good. Hopefully, the front 4 this year will be similar. The secondary was pretty decent in 01, and again hopefully it will be this year as well.

Here again, it's an apples and oranges comparison because of what you stated: we play a much tougher schedule. If this year's defense ranks 25th but we play a much tougher schedule, I don't know how you can say they weren't just as good or better than the 8th ranked defense in 2001. Personally, I don't like the LB's on either defense. IMO, we need a lot more speed at this position than what we had in 2001 and what we have this year. The LB's were one of the biggest reasons CU shredded our defense to put up 62 points on us. Not only did they get juked out of their jockstraps, they didn't have the speed to recover and make a tackle. On the 2001 squad, the LB's were the weakest link. This year, I don't see from a speed factor much difference. The front 4 in 2001 was pretty good. Hopefully, the front 4 this year will be similar. The secondary was pretty decent in 01, and again hopefully it will be this year as well.

I think our LB's are tons better. Maybe not overall speed (though I'd take any one of them over the 3 from 2001), but football smarts. Burrow couldn't for the life of him figure out the counter against CU. How hard is it to stay in your lane and not over run the play?? We may not have the depth at LB's, but we 5 solid players that a good football "sense" in that they always move to and pursue the ball. They also have a better understanding on what they're doing.

Barry Turner will change your minds. A lot of people forgot what he did his freshman year on the end. He played probably more than most starters. Last year he played in different positions and formations just because he was behind to great DEs. Barry still got a lot of PT. Can you think of all the great plays he made on Offense, defense and special teams. It seems like people forget how talented this kid is. He is only going to get better and stronger.

Barry Turner will change your minds. A lot of people forgot what he did his freshman year on the end. He played probably more than most starters. Last year he played in different positions and formations just because he was behind to great DEs. Barry still got a lot of PT. Can you think of all the great plays he made on Offense, defense and special teams. It seems like people forget how talented this kid is. He is only going to get better and stronger.

I wish we had a few more talented DEs because I would love to see Barry Turner play TE all the time, can you imagine the mismatches he would create? Awesome! :thumbs