***Official Baylor vs NU Thread***

DaveH

In an effort to consolidate the tens of threads that seem to pop up, use this one for your game thoughts.

My first half notes coming...

The offense came out very flat in the first couple series of the 1st quarter. The defense got driven down the field, but did hold Baylor to a field goal. Their only score of the first half. Master P (Bernard T) made a couple good plays.

It's good to see Kriewald get a reception. A TD reception no less! A gutsy 4th down call. :o

Callahan and the staff threw in Ross and Jackson in on some punt returns which is good to see. Panico can catch the ball, but we need a threat back there IMO. Panico got the call again on a couple punts. How uninteresting. :)

Speaking of Ross and Jackson, they were running all over Baylor in the second quarter which undoubtedly opened up the passing game a bit. A few passes seemed to sail by fingertips, which hurts. I am listening on the radio so I am not sure how close they were. There was a pass that the anouncer said Mulkey was running down the middle of the field free. :wacko:

Good to see we finally busted another big play on the screen.

A penalty killed our second series in the second quarter. Can't have that!

It sounds like the secondary needs to communicate more. Sounds like we should have had an int in the second quarter but Fabian and Daniel were both going for it.

Kinda scatter-brained, but there ya go!

2nd Half notes

- Defense craps the bed, more or less. We gave up all our momentum in the first drive by Baylor.

- Again, no tackling. Ruud is getting most of the tackles still. He can't be everywhere all the time. Baylor was beating the hell out of us with the simple dump and run passes. Were we still in a zone? Why not more man in that situation? I am not defensive mastermind, but anyone have any input on that?

- 3 dropped interceptions. SUCKS!!!! Dan B. finally got one at the end with a great return, 42yds. Led to a Husker touchdown :worship

WE CAN'T PLAY LIKE THIS NEXT WEEK, DEFENSE!!!!!

Offense

-Granted Baylor is no KSU or OK, but this is a great game for this developing offense. Outstanding performance from Dailey and some great numbers.

-All the backs had a good game, especially B. Jackson. I am looking for big things from him now and in the future. I think it is great that we have 3 backs that can come in and make a difference at any time. (save Horne).

- 4 players had better than 50 yards receiving. :)

- We did have a couple lost opportunities due to passes that should have been caught, missed open receivers and a couple penalties.

-We finished a freaking drive!!!

Just some game thoughts. #1 It was Baylor and this was the one game we expected to win easily this year. #2 Cosgrove has taken the aggressive defense of last year and has them playing back on their heels. He was by far the worst hire by NU. The plays that Baylor burned us on are basically the same ones Tech killed us with and Cos better figure we will see those plays all year until we stop them. I can't blame our players on defense because we always seem to be in the wrong coverage on many pass plays. We never blitz on 3rd down and instead drop into stupid zone coverage which always yields wide open receivers. #3 Hats off to Dailey. He looked really good and perhaps Callahan figured out the running game does open up the passing game, cause I think we've abandoned the run way too early in some games.

Just some game thoughts.  #1 It was Baylor and this was the one game we expected to win easily this year.  #2 Cosgrove has taken the aggressive defense of last year and has them playing back on their heels. He was by far the worst hire by NU.  The plays that Baylor burned us on are basically the same ones Tech killed us with and Cos better figure we will see those plays all year until we stop them.  I can't blame our players on defense because we always seem to be in the wrong coverage on many pass plays.  We never blitz on 3rd down and instead drop into stupid zone coverage which always yields wide open receivers. #3 Hats off to Dailey.  He looked really good and perhaps Callahan figured out the running game does open up the passing game, cause I think we've abandoned the run way too early in some games.

It is Baylor, like I said but I still think it was a good game to have after last week.

As far as the defense is concerned, Fabian said in the post game conference that they just weren't in it mentally in the third quarter. Coach Cos was getting after them on the sidelines to get back in it. It wasn't anything Baylor was doing physically, they just weren't in the game mentally. Who knows why. Maybe they thought it was in the bag. I am sure many will blame Cos because it's fashionable, when they don't know the whole story.

Many times they would call two coverages, depending on what formation Baylor would come out in. Many times, he said, the captains just chose the wrong coverage. I have to listen to what else he said. I didn't catch all of it. That is obviously a mental error and one they have to work on in the up coming week.

With the run, we wanted to establish the physical game early. That opened up the pass quite a bit and the offense executed well. Obviously Callahan knows that the run game opens up the passing game. Anyone who has watched a season of football knows that. We have had some success running the ball earlier, but the pass game just never developed, among other things (turnovers, etc). I saw kinda what Dailey has been saying all year that they are just a couple plays away. After that, it kinda snow balls. One good play turns into two, turns into 6, etc, etc. Penalties and dropped passes did kill a couple drives today.

I was glad to see Fluellen make some catches. Haven't heard that name in a while. He had a great game, among others

Yeh no kidding..I can actually hear myself type this week. I guess its the trainwreck theory eh.

Game thoughts

Slumpbuster Bears

How sweet it is to follow up the worst loss in school history, with the worst team in Big 12 history. You couldnt ask for much more favorable of a matchup, to help us get back in sync before the trip to the little worm hole. But like Dave said, we cant hardly expect to walk outta there with a dub with another performance from the 'shirts like that.

Tale of Two Halfs

Man I just dont know what it is, but our D just really goes from peaks to valleys worse than Tammy Faye Bakers lithium levels. I somewhat expect that from the Offense b/c of the nature of the WCO - but the D just seems to have biploar disorder.

Overall, solid game, great to see Joey D play up to his potential, b/c I was afraid we were about 1 bad half away from losing him for the season. YOu could tell in the Tech game that he was just trying way too hard, as if he wanted to throw 2 touchdowns with one throw - so its great for him to get his confidence back so he can relax and let his natural skills carry him.

Hang on guys, this could get fun.

I hope you're right but, I'm afraid it could get worse before it gets better. K-State gave OU all they wanted and Mizzu did not look like stepped on dog poop to me...

Yea, K-State played well today. (Against Pelini I might add). Missouri looked alright. No doubt they will be tough games. Hopefully we show up!

I hope you're right but, I'm afraid it could get worse before it gets better.  K-State gave OU all they wanted and Mizzu did not look like stepped on dog poop to me...

Yea, K-State played well today. (Against Pelini I might add). Missouri looked alright. No doubt they will be tough games. Hopefully we show up!

I dont think bagging on Pelini is a good thing after last week

Ou shutting out Texas for the first time in 20+ years

Nebraskas new DC ends up setting a Nebraska record for worst lost in history of Neb :smokin

I hope you're right but, I'm afraid it could get worse before it gets better.  K-State gave OU all they wanted and Mizzu did not look like stepped on dog poop to me...

I dont think bagging on Pelini is a good thing after last week

Ou shutting out Texas for the first time in 20+ years

Nebraskas new DC ends up setting a Nebraska record for worst lost in history of Neb :smokin

I understand that. That was more for the die hard Pelini-was-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread folks. :)

*crickets*

Wow. This time last week there were at least a half a dozen threads about the game. What does that say? :):blink:

It says it was baylor and it didn't show a heck of a lot. WE really didn't even beat them all that bad. IT's comparable to the win against western illinois. We will find out if our offense is any better next week, I doubt it will be pretty.

*crickets*

Wow. This time last week there were at least a half a dozen threads about the game. What does that say? :)  :blink:

It says it was baylor and it didn't show a heck of a lot. WE really didn't even beat them all that bad. IT's comparable to the win against western illinois. We will find out if our offense is any better next week, I doubt it will be pretty.

A school record at passing doesn't show anything? Comparable to WIU? I guess if you forego the whole different division thing. :blink:

Again, yes, it was Baylor but considering the outcome of last week and the shakyness of the offense thus far this is a bit of fresh air.

The defense performance in the 3rd quarter is troubleing, thought. Had Baylor been a more prolific on offense it could have been a different game.

Next week will be a bigger test. Hopefully we show up on both sides of the ball.

*crickets*

Wow. This time last week there were at least a half a dozen threads about the game. What does that say? :)  :blink:

A school record at passing doesn't show anything? Comparable to WIU? I guess if you forego the whole different division thing. :blink:

Again, yes, it was Baylor but considering the outcome of last week and the shakyness of the offense thus far this is a bit of fresh air.

The defense performance in the 3rd quarter is troubleing, thought. Had Baylor been a more prolific on offense it could have been a different game.

Next week will be a bigger test. Hopefully we show up on both sides of the ball.

Baylor isn't good dave h. Yes they are better than western illinois but I bet it would be a decent game. Like I say, it didn't show me much. If we do that against K state then I will say we are improving but if I had to bet money I'd say that isn't going to happen.

Baylor isn't good dave h.  Yes they are better than western illinois but I bet it would be a decent game. Like I say, it didn't show me much.  If we do that against K state then I will say we are improving but if I had to bet money I'd say that isn't going to happen.

There you go again, putting words in my mouth. Tell me where I said Baylor was good? As a matter of fact, three times in this thread alone I have conceded that "yes it was only baylor." They are the door mat for the Big 12, no doubt.

Care to comment on the record set by Dailey or are we just going to skirt that?

You are going to refuse to acknowlege any progress on any level until we win a national championship and that is a fact.