What happens if

When we win, the goalposts come down, huge party on the field, it'll extend into downtown Lincoln. We'll see if I can't slip & fall down in the middle of a crosswalk, half-naked & completely lit up, get myself to my feet by using the front end of a waiting vehicle at the intersection, only to look up into a carful of people I go to church with.......again.

When we win, the goalposts come down, huge party on the field, it'll extend into downtown Lincoln. We'll see if I can't slip & fall down in the middle of a crosswalk, half-naked & completely lit up, get myself to my feet by using the front end of a waiting vehicle at the intersection, only to look up into a carful of people I go to church with.......again.

cats and dogs living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

That would be a monumental upset so I think if we win, it'd be alright to rush the field and tear down the goalposts. I don't like to hear "We're Nebraska, we don't do that." We're too good to celebrate a huge victory? :dunno

If tearing down the goalpoasts is all about celebrating a huge victory, how come it is never done at the National Championship?? that doesn't count as huge??

Not home field.

Still, it's a good point. Even if we win, even if it *doesn't* reflect poorly on us (and then, only because it happens a lot elsewhere), what would you rather have? A bunch of rowdy fans swarming the field and tearing down the posts, proclaiming some glorious victory before even a fraction of the season's through? Or a standing ovation, which gives respect to both the home team victors and the USC Trojans for a game well played?

I can't predict what will happen, but the latter just seems more fitting. The former, well...seems like something that CU would do if they beat us.

Not home field.

Still, it's a good point. Even if we win, even if it *doesn't* reflect poorly on us (and then, only because it happens a lot elsewhere), what would you rather have? A bunch of rowdy fans swarming the field and tearing down the posts, proclaiming some glorious victory before even a fraction of the season's through? Or a standing ovation, which gives respect to both the home team victors and the USC Trojans for a game well played?

I can't predict what will happen, but the latter just seems more fitting. The former, well...seems like something that CU would do if they beat us.

AMEN!!!

Well it appears I am going to have a front row seat if it does happen. My boss, the companay sales manager, Vice president and I are going to come back for the game. The boss and sales manager are big SC fans, and I have told them forever about Nebraska football. They want to see it first hand. Company buying the tickets and airfare. I had opted for the Missouri game, but it now sounds like I will get to see two very important games this year.

Who is having the tailgate? Big Red Iowan? I have to show these guys a great time. I am counting on all you crazy Husker fans to gitur dun.

Can hardly wait.

damn it BRI, now we have skersfan going to the USC game, and you still fail to get me my tickets. I owe skersfan a beer

AR multiply your fees by what ever you need to so you can buy them for me, BRI has failed and you are my back up plan

Consider it done, buddy. :thumbs

I don't really see tearing down the goal posts as an overtly positive or negative thing.

I don't see how us celebrating and tearing down the goal posts would be a negative hit for us. It doesn't look bad on TV if a team tears down goal posts after defeating #1 team in nation, unless winning team is ranked in top 10 as well. Really doesn't make us seem classless, not like we are rubbing it in the face of USC or taunting them, I mean heck, it's our goal posts, not theirs.

That's the only negative aspect I see, it costs us more money! But hey, I'm sure the athletic dept would shell out the $5k to fix the posts in exchange for a victory over USC!

:nutz

And this topic is probably issue number 10762 in the list of things to worry about this season.

:yeah and issue # 10761 is getting past WF the week before. I can tell you, they are pumped after last year's successes, and bring almost everyone back from that 11-3 team. As many as 10 5th year seniors and another 10 4th year juniors in their top 22. And, most importantly, they are not worried about this game . And that, my friends, is the key to restoring the order. One game doesn't do it, although it is a great start. When an opponent dreads the fact that they scheduled you 10 years ago; when the crystal ball publications highlight an opponent's game with you as the key to their season; when we go into games like USC, UT, OU, and VaTech and Tennessee in the future with at least even odds to win, and and and and and when we actually WIN this conference again, THAT'S when the order is restored.

We have 3 BCS teams on the schedule this year. Win 2 of those, and we are back. Anything less, and "restore the order" is still a dream. Tearing down the goalposts will look REAL bush league if we don't win the North/CC game and are competitive in the BCS game.

One game at a time, one down at a time.

And this topic is probably issue number 10762 in the list of things to worry about this season.

:yeah and issue # 10761 is getting past WF the week before. I can tell you, they are pumped after last year's successes, and bring almost everyone back from that 11-3 team. As many as 10 5th year seniors and another 10 4th year juniors in their top 22. And, most importantly, they are not worried about this game . And that, my friends, is the key to restoring the order. One game doesn't do it, although it is a great start. When an opponent dreads the fact that they scheduled you 10 years ago; when the crystal ball publications highlight an opponent's game with you as the key to their season; when we go into games like USC, UT, OU, and VaTech and Tennessee in the future with at least even odds to win, and and and and and when we actually WIN this conference again, THAT'S when the order is restored.

We have 3 BCS teams on the schedule this year. Win 2 of those, and we are back. Anything less, and "restore the order" is still a dream. Tearing down the goalposts will look REAL bush league if we don't win the North/CC game and are competitive in the BCS game.

One game at a time, one down at a time.

:yeah

Totally agree. This team has a lot to live up to.

I don't really see tearing down the goal posts as an overtly positive or negative thing.

Yes, but NOT tearing down the posts would be a positive thing for everybody watching the game that isn't used to the tradition of Husker Football. CLASS ACT fellas

How is tearing down the goal posts not being a class act? Just because we get excited, and want to storm the field, suddenly we're not being classy or anything. :wtf There is nothing wrong with this imo. We haven't done much of anything since we beat OU in 2001. There was no reason to storm the field then. We were #2 in the country and were about to be at the top of the world. We won't be near the #2 spot, and if we do pull of this monumental victory that would finally bring us back into the talk of college football, then what is wrong with celebrating? We're not going to go down to 72nd and proclaim us champions, but I think tearing down a couple of posts would be just fine. :restore

Yes, but NOT tearing down the posts would be a positive thing for everybody watching the game that isn't used to the tradition of Husker Football. CLASS ACT fellas

How is tearing down the goal posts not being a class act? Just because we get excited, and want to storm the field, suddenly we're not being classy or anything. :wtf There is nothing wrong with this imo. We haven't done much of anything since we beat OU in 2001. There was no reason to storm the field then. We were #2 in the country and were about to be at the top of the world. We won't be near the #2 spot, and if we do pull of this monumental victory that would finally bring us back into the talk of college football, then what is wrong with celebrating? We're not going to go down to 72nd and proclaim us champions, but I think tearing down a couple of posts would be just fine. :restore

I would much rather have our program get publicity by the opposing teams players, coaches, fans walking away telling everybody what awesome fans we have (Mack Brown in 98 for instance) than have our students be the opening of SportsCenter the next day..

im not saying its that bad, i just like the other route better...

The way sCUm fans act when we are puttin both feet up thier a$$ looks bad on sports center. To turn on the TV the next day and have the opening story be the destruction of the SC giants capped of by the goal posts coming down with thousands of fans on the field goin nuts would be amazing. Trust me I do understand some of the objections to this like......act like youve been there.......show some class.......ect., but to act like this win is just buisness as usual disrespects the efforts of alot of people to make that happen. The 90s were a long time ago, we are a new team now trying to establish ourselves again, be happy with progress, its OK.

IMO, storming the field like crazies celebrating with wild abandon - just doesn't show a lot of respect to the team we've just defeated...whomever they are.

Being an ass & getting in the faces of the opponents & asking for a donkey punch like the punk in Columbia in '03 is disrespecting your opponent. Going absolutely crazy (THAT'S NON-DESTRUCTIVE CRAZY, mind you) in an ecstatic display of pure joy is being happy for your team. "Act like you've been there before?" F-that. I'm going to act like we've had Frank before & have finally crawled out of the hole.