Where is Grixby? What is he doing?

Aim9

Does anyone know where Grixby is on the depth charts or whether or not he will see much playing time this year?

I still can't believe the coaches played him last year. How could they honestly believe that Grixby was the best corner available? How could they have not forseen Oklahoma lining up Malcolm Kelly against him every down? Sometimes I swear Phil Emassian couldn't predict six o'clock at 5:30.

I love Grixby just like everyone else, but some people are just not meant to be corners... or play Division I football.

I think they should have just let someone like Thenarse get burned for a few games, and then we'd have someone with experience AND the physical tools to play. We paid for that all year long last year and if he starts again the same things will happen.

Just because Grixby might be the best corner in game #1 doesn't mean he would be better than Thenarse after say, game #4. People can try to glaze it over all they want, but there is absolutely a reason why opposing teams target Grixby all day long. Because they know it works.

If you ask me, his biggest problem was mismatches caused mostly by injury in the secondary.

I refuse to believe a guy who has been coaching football at this level longer than I have been alive simply doesn't have any clue as to what he is doing

If you ask me, his biggest problem was mismatches caused mostly by injury in the secondary.

I refuse to believe a guy who has been coaching football at this level longer than I have been alive simply doesn't have any clue as to what he is doing

Well yes, mismatches were always the problem with Grixby. And when there wasn't a mismatch, teams would make sure there was one by motioning their largest receivers to Grixby.

I don't have anything against Phil and he has experience, but everyone makes mistakes. I'm saying this was one of his mistakes. Playing Grixby all year last year was a mistake and he's going to get owned all over again this year if he's starting again. His positioning is ok, but he's 5'9" on a good day. More likely he's 5'8". I just cannot defend his starting position. He got burned so often because of his size, he might as well have been wildly out of position and inexperienced.

I just think he'd be better off breaking in a new guy with the physical tools to do what needs to be done.

I haven't heard anything about him in fall camp or anything though.

You can bet that Grixby will be starting this next season. He probably has the most experience out of any of our DB's even though he lacks in the athletic ability department. The guy has heart and I can't rag on him too hard because he is a Husker and had to put up with a lot of sh#t last season. I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate him either.

Sigh. :madash

Grixby is athletically freakish. he has great wheels, great hips, and a friggin 3'8'' vertical. But he also had to play EVERY DOWN last year. Dont tell me that wont affect ANYONE's performance.

Even in the pros the best CB's get beat quite a bit. But one responsibility the safety position holds is to help the CB. When your safety play is horrendous, your CB's will be on an island all alone, which is such the case last year. With improved safety play, the CB's wont be torched as much this year. Count on it.

You can bet that Grixby will be starting this next season. He probably has the most experience out of any of our DB's even though he lacks in the athletic ability department. The guy has heart and I can't rag on him too hard because he is a Husker and had to put up with a lot of sh#t last season. I'm not his biggest fan, but I don't hate him either.

I don't think he lacks athletic ability - He lacks SIZE. He's going up against guys that are 4-6 inches taller than he is. "He will definately be on the field."

I don't think he lacks athletic ability - He lacks SIZE. He's going up against guys that are 4-6 inches taller than he is. "He will definately be on the field."

Yeah I guess I could have worded that part better, but there is no doubt in my mind the guy is going to start next season.

:yeahAgreed...his height and speed are his only disadvantages. But you can't say that he is ever out of place to make the tackle. He does tackle pretty well for a small guy and I give him props for that. Receivers usually only scored on him when it was a deep pass. He keeps everything in front of him other than that. I am not disagreeing w/ anyone because we need to see some improvement this season, and a taller corner would help.

Does anyone recall when Malcolm Kelly palmed Grixbys head with his hand and used him for leverage?

The guy has the hops to cover taller men . It just seemed like he got owned by every taller receiver there was.

I cant recall him shutting anyone down.

Im not trying to trash the guy, I bet he is a great person. Just stating the obvious.