Great read for Husker Fans

Like I said, it's not like we were freaking Baylor. 10-3 and a top 15 final ranking isn't "nothingness."

Hollow as a 30 year old dead tree.

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs

Gimme a break. Running with guys who are built to pass? Check the run/pass distribution from the last two years. You'll see it's right around 50/50.

There is a reason that they are still not paid for.

Crotchety, bitter old donors.

Six years? There have been many who have done it in less time, with much less.

Your totally right about this...Tom Osborne inherited a 2 time defending champion football team, and it took him 20+ years to win his first National title.

MAYBE if we woulda canned osborne sooner on, somebody else woulda came in and then Nebraska would REALLY be considered a powerhouse..

:sarcasm

Your totally right about this...Tom Osborne inherited a 2 time defending champion football team, and it took him 20+ years to win his first National title.

MAYBE if we woulda canned osborne sooner on, somebody else woulda came in and then Nebraska would REALLY be considered a powerhouse..

This whole comparing Callahan to Osborne bit is getting old. For those of you have forgotten, Osborne changed offenses too in the late 70's. He went from a pro-style offense to the option, without an option qb which was much tougher than what Callahan did. He still won 9+ games every year, never went under .500, went to a bowl every year, and finished in the top 20 every year.

Let's put that dog down.

It's not like he took over Baylor.

Who are you referring to?

Stoops and Weiss come to mind immediately.

It can be argued that in both cases, talent was there. Especially in Weiss's case. In Oklahoma's case, you had proven recruiters like John Blake there. In fact, people who are into saying coach x took coach y's team to big game z would say that Stoops took Blake team to a National Championship. I am not one of those guys because I think it's an asinine thing to say. My main point here is that every situation is different, IMO it's really hard to compare things like that apples to apples. That and I don't think Stoops is an amazing coach.

Also, speaking of Weiss, what exactly has he won? I know he's got the media drooling on him constantly, but really. What have they won? They all but fell apart at the end of last year.

Not the malpractice lawsuit for a bariatric surgery gone awry but blame the surgeon he/she is the one that made Weiss eat all those donuts.

Weiss hasn't shown me a thing about what a great coach he is. Pete Carroll has impressed me much more than Charles. Then in that argument the recruit rich left coast has made Pete's job easier. yada yada yada. Different strokes different teams. The majority of football coaches today are mercenary to the nth degree. Their loyalty is to themselves and their security financially speaking. Who's to blame? ? ? ?

GBR

This whole comparing Callahan to Osborne bit is getting old. For those of you have forgotten, Osborne changed offenses too in the late 70's. He went from a pro-style offense to the option, without an option qb which was much tougher than what Callahan did. He still won 9+ games every year, never went under .500, went to a bowl every year, and finished in the top 20 every year.

Let's put that dog down.

Why can't you compare the 2? Sure Osborne's record and stats are better, but what was the biggest problem fans had with him? He couldn't win the big games, like Oklahoma or any Florida school.

There, I've said all I'm gonna say as this thread has gotten totally off track.

:corndance:corndance:nanalama:nanalama:moreinteresting:moreinteresting

Pooh,

Weis and Stoops inherited a lot of talent. Most said when both were hired that the talent was there to win. Stoops did with Blakes talent, he has not really done much since then as far as NC's. Weis in my mind has been a total flop. I expected him to be much better than he has been.

BC had a talent level that would not have done well who ever coached them. Tell me which QB on the team was going to lead Nebraska in a option offense. We did not have a QB to run the option. Daily was brought here to change to a more balance offense. He could not run nor could he pass at the college level. There was no one behind him. You can not just look at the wins and losses and decide what is going to happen the next year, do you remember the year before. If it were not for cupcakes we would have been a 500 team that year.

The wheels were off period, someday you guys are going to have to realize just how far down we were, and I know we won 9 games and lost 3. Yes we lost to any team that had a pulse and by a landslide margin.

And yes TO did win a lot of games when he started and through his career, but he played in a total joke of a conference most years, could never beat Oklahoma and then lost to any bowl contender they faced.

BC plays in a much tougher time. I seriously doubt TO could come in today and do a much better job than BC is doing. I really do not think there are many out there that could. I am not saying BC is the best college coach by any means, but I just do not know who you would get to do a better job.

He gets 6 years in my mind, he has had 3 and every year has been an improvement. I think this will be the year we all have a change of heart about him. I hope at the end of the six years I am man enough to admit I was wrong if I am. I hope you are the same. I understand your concern, but it just to early. I do not want to throw the bady out with the bath water just yet

Sometimes I don't know what I'm more sick of. USC praise, or Callahan bashing? You know why? Because they're both so damn easy.

It doesn't take any real thought to reach down into a statistical bag of bullsh#t related to a team which is rebuilding from days of decadent nothingness. Every time I read some nonsense like this I just want to put my head through a wall. For you people who still have some flagging question about the recruiting, let me spell something out for you.

You cannot expect to win championships until you build DEPTH

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs for round holes, and yet is STILL managing to pull in 5 stars from all over. And never mind that we've beat several top 25 teams whose only reason for not remaining in the top 25 is the fact that we beat them. And never mind that we were within a touchdown for a combined win over Texas and Auburn. Oh, and forget that Michigan win, too. We didn't exactly get slaughtered by the Condoms, either––a miracle with our corners.

Forget the fact that we've yet to have a truly phenomenal quarterback who can throw the deep ball and scramble a little bit. Forget that even in spite of some rocky times these last few years the support base has still produced massivly updated facilities that are practically the 8th wonder of the football world, added to the stadium, maintained our sellout record, turned out huge spring game/Fan Day numbers season after season, and are holding coaches clinics where some of the biggest names around are hanging out.

Good Ghandi. I cannot wait for this so-called "signature win" to occur. Then maybe you people can shut the hell up.

For not the final time:

:bonez USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Nice post, Husker X. :thumbs