One fan's perspective...

I have been pretty quiet for a while just kind of watching to see what will happen. I don't think I am any greater a fan than any of you, but I do believe I am the greatest NU fan in California (I am sure that's debateable). I hope this doesn't get too phylosophical, but that is a possibility as I have just been spongin' all this up for a while. My father and mother were both born and raised in Neb. with my dad living only a few blocks from the stadium. I was born a Cornhusker fan and didn't even know it until I was about 12 (28 years ago) as I slammed the arm rest of the recliner in disgust as I watched Nebraska loose to Oklahoma (1976). Wearing my "Cornhusker" shirts to school only drew jeers and jokes from friends that followed the obvious teams - Oklahoma, Notre Dame, USC, etc. and always trying to come up with some cool answer to the question "what's a Cornhusker"? True to my bloodline I never waivered despite year after year of disappointment which included losing games we should have won and of course not winning the big games. Year after year I had to try to answer the other question "What happened to your Cornhuskers"? It was frustrating to say the least, but my faith and commitment never waivered. Being a Nebraska fan has felt like the brink of insanity. One brutal year I watched Billy Simms and the wishbone tear off 10 yards a shot as we had seemingly no answer. As soon as we slowed down the run they beat us with the pass (usually the tight end). When the teams from the south joined forces to make us the Big 12 I knew there would be difficult days ahead, but I also believed if you are going to be the best you have to play the best. For many years I watched us get close and I too, ignorantly, wanted T.O. OUT, thinking this would be a quick solution to my pain. The joy of beating Miami in 94 and squawshing Florida in 95 made it all worth it. All of those 18 years had been justified. Today I find myself in familiar territory with the Cornhuskers of 2004! It seems what goes around comes around. I have the same pain and frustration, but being older now I think I process it a little better. My father (God rest his soul) saw more NU football than any of us in his 82 years of life. He used to always say, and I agreed, Nebraska has 3 major problems: 1) No pass defense, 2) No pass offense, and 3) Too many turn overs i.e. fumbles. Deja F@%*ing Vu! I have heard people talk about the t.o.'s, but do you remember when Crouch and Alexander had a "pitch" problem? It was discussed on National T.V. that they even utilized a psychologist to try to help the fumble problem. Did we stop pitching the ball because of this? - No! As far as pass defense, it wasn't until we got Mike and Ralph Brown that we did pretty good in our pass coverage. Last year had all the elements, but which included Demorio Williams which is a huge factor that we don't have today. Offenses had to specifically strategize against his quickness and speed. And yes I believe B.P. was able to squeeze the very best out of this group. He had them playing over their heads and ours IMHO. I believe he had it easier than Cos as anything was better than what Bohl did. I think the very best this defense could do would be maintain what last year did and even that would be a challenge. I would have preferred to have B.P. as the DC, but that wasn't going to happen even if it was offered to him - we can't look back. As far as passing, it is evident that we are better than before, but it too (like the pitch in the option) has its turn over potential. We will continue to improve, and continue to recruit the personnel needed to have success. Wouldn't it be great to be dominant in both running and passing? As far as our HC, only time will tell if BC is the right guy. Right now all we can do is trust and hope; but he deserves time just as we gave to those before him. It is difficult, because we all want instant gratification, but that is not going to happen. Hopefully this year we will have moments that we can build on; let's start with a win Saturday. And wouldn't it be great if we did beat Oklahoma? Yes I know it isn't likely, but I am a fan that believes every time my team takes the field they can win, and I will always believe that. I have no doubt that we will be a dominant program again (hopefully less than 18 years), simply because of one constant - THE FANS and the pride that is bigger than any one player, or any one coach! Big Red Football will be dominant again, becuase it HAS to! Keep the faith! Go Big Red!

I don't disagree with much stated in the original thread, but I must point out a couple of things. I too have been disappointed in T.O. after watching us get slaughtered in Bowl games by teams who had a lot more talent. I too waited 18 years for something good to happen. But you know what? Something good did happen after all those years.

Fact: We gave Solich only 5 years in which he at least played for a National Championship. T.O. never played for a NC in his first five years.

Fact: T.O. recruited some very questionable talent just as Solich has.

I would think that the original poster would be as pissed if not more than any of the rest of us. He may have questioned T.O. for all those years, but he gave him a chance. What chance did we give Solich? After winning a NC with Blake's recruites, the NCAA hasn't exactly just handed NC after NC over to Bob Stoops. All good/great coaches need time to find their groove and the right players for them. I don't think we gave Solich a chance.

I realize I'm drumming up the past, but hey that's what started this thread: the past. I'm still pissed about the whole situation. As said before, I don't blame Callahan and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I will never like that SOB Pederson or Pearlman! IMO, these two need to be handed their walking papers!