My son's first Husker game....

Hello everyone, tommorow I will be taking my 9 year old son to his first Husker game, I myself havn't been to many games over the years, just a couple.

Are there things to do around the stadium before the game?

Someone mentioned the other day that they do something for kids at the track complex, is that true?

Any other activities that you could think of to help make this an unforgetable day for my son would be much appreciated.

I hope its ok to post this on this part of the board, if its in the incorrect place please excuse me.

Thank you for your help.

I don't have much to offer in suggestions, except let him soak it all in!

Make sure you make him aware of any "crowd traditions" so that he really feels that he is a part of the "team"! That is what I will always remember about Husker games as a child: even tho I was just a small child I was apart of something BIG and RED!

GBR!

I remember going to games w/ my dad when I was about that age....of course that was awhile ago now that I'm over 30. But the complex has a TON of things to do (running, throwing, kicking tests/drills, etc.) There is usually a band playing and a big screen showing stuff.

One thing my dad and I always did was just kinda walk around campus (keep in mind that you'll probably see a few that have been 'preparing' for kickoff since 8am....it'll also be about 90 tomorrow so you and your son can take in some of the co-ed sights!). Then we would always go through Morrill Hall and see the Mammoths. Don't know if it is still open on game day or not, but it is still a memory I have....and probably one that my dad still has as well.

I believe they do have plenty of stuff for kids at the Husker Nation Pavillon around the track.

Pretty exciting news for your son.

Tomorrow is going to be my 6 year old daughters first game as well. She is pretty pumped up for it. I told he to be ready because he dad gets really loud. I also told her she was spoiled because I didn't get to go to my first game until I was 19.

I remember my first game. I did go see the mammoths and that still is something I dream of.

The game was the '63 Oklahoma game, one of the two held that day as it was for conference championship. The rest of games were canceled that day because of the Kennedy assasination the day before.

We won!!!

The pavillion(track) is a must for the kiddos

Student center should have the band playing early

You could visit the indor waterfall inside the Tom Osborne Complex, not sure if they are doing tours or not.

Nebraska Bookstore a couple block walk from the main campus but it will definatley get you pumped seeing Red. Following the band.

Hello everyone, tommorow I will be taking my 9 year old son to his first Husker game, I myself havn't been to many games over the years, just a couple.

Are there things to do around the stadium before the game?

Someone mentioned the other day that they do something for kids at the track complex, is that true?

Any other activities that you could think of to help make this an unforgetable day for my son would be much appreciated.

I hope its ok to post this on this part of the board, if its in the incorrect place please excuse me.

Thank you for your help.

Fantastic! This will be a blast, and memorable for both of you. Your son may enjoy it if you let him pick out a nice Husker cap or shirt at the Nebraska bookstore. Also, it's always fun to see the band march into Memorial. Make sure you get a couple of Runzas sometime during the day. Have Fun!! :lol:

I took my now 14 year-old to his first Husker home game 3 years ago. It was a hot day like it will be tomorrow and he developed a migraine headache complete with lightheadedness, pain, and sensitivity to noise. Yeah, not exactly where you want to be when your head feels like exploding from the slightest sound. He spent half the game under the stadium with the first aid staff. Thank goodness he got to feeling better and was able to see most of the second half.

I don’t know if it is still this way (I haven’t been back since) but I was able to take my son onto the field after the game. He was able to get some autographs and he has a great memory of catching a “touchdown” in Memorial Stadium (and yes I joined the ranks of Tagge, Ferragamo, and Frazier by completing a “touchdown" pass in Memorial Stadium). It did turn out to be a blast for him.