Some USC Gossip

Husker_x

USC Fan here, I came across this post and thought I would give my opinion. I was at the game last night and man it was very boring to say the least. Most people left in the middle of the third quarter. Having attended most of the major scrimmages this summer, it reminded me of a spring ball practice. In USC defense, they were without:

Matt Spanos (wont be back for a while however his replacement Kristofer O'Dowd didn’t miss a beat, this kid is solid and has a nasty streak in him)

Chancey Washington (from what I hear from insiders, he could be out four weeks, we will see)

Brian Cushing (sprained his ankle real early in the game, didn’t look that bad and he should be ready to go in Lincoln)

Josh Pinkard (hurt his knee the Thursday before the game, we really need this guy to play in a big way, hard to say when he will be back)

Broderick Green (most likely out for the year with a stress fracture)

Patrick Turner (will be ready to play in Lincoln)

Overall, we were missing a big part of our offense with Washington and Turner out. The play calling however was very vanilla. We didnt want to show anyone the changes that have been made since Kiffin moved on. The only real change that we showed is throwing more to the fullback who looked great. The offense will be alot more dynamic against Nebraska. On the defensive side of the ball, we didnt look great either. For whatever reason, we could not pressure the QB. We rarely blitzed, again the play calling was very vanilla. I believe we will be a lot more aggressive against Nebraska. On a positive note, the special teams looked great. USC has a history of playing to the level of there competition so I wouldnt get to excited about this game, we will see what team comes to play in two weeks. I think having the week off to prepare while you guys have to go to wake forest, gives us a tremendous advantage. Looking forward to the game!

Excellent post and extremely fair IMO. One area however I could not disagree with you more is having the week off. The "ONLY" way to truly straighten out problem is playing games. USC coming to Lincoln having played only one very weak team is a HUGE disadvantage IMO. They haven't played anyone remotely good and haven't seen any real team speed except for scrimmages. That my friend is not how a teams improves. The Huskers have an excellent test to see if everything is running on all cylinder this weekend while USC sits around playing themselves. Assuming no major injuries at WF and of course a win we will be topped off and ready to rocket in Lincoln. Not scheduling a game in 2 weeks, early in the season is a big mistake IMO. Time however will tell...... BTW... I believe USC fans are going to be shocked at how well our players match up with USC. We have perhaps the strongest kick off kicker in college football... Many, many things have changed for the better since last season......... Good post and nice to see a real football fan........ ct....

but, simply put we will be no match for their team speed. i am a fraid they will be in our backfield more than we like.

Remember back in the mid? '70s when We had really fast outside LBs and OU's 3 RBs each took a step in the wrong direction at the snap just to counteract our speed?

Look kinda cool and was effective.

EDIT..Er..I mean..Didn't work at all AlunimumTro or TarHeelTrojan..Stupid idea..Looked Dorky.

BTW..If you'd just wear your Trojans on your Heels..You might be able to keep that tar off.

but I still will be picking corn out of my teeth from chewed up screwed up huskers :o

USC Fan here, I came across this post and thought I would give my opinion. I was at the game last night and man it was very boring to say the least. Most people left in the middle of the third quarter. Having attended most of the major scrimmages this summer, it reminded me of a spring ball practice. In USC defense, they were without:

Matt Spanos (wont be back for a while however his replacement Kristofer O'Dowd didn’t miss a beat, this kid is solid and has a nasty streak in him)

Chancey Washington (from what I hear from insiders, he could be out four weeks, we will see)

Brian Cushing (sprained his ankle real early in the game, didn’t look that bad and he should be ready to go in Lincoln)

Josh Pinkard (hurt his knee the Thursday before the game, we really need this guy to play in a big way, hard to say when he will be back)

Broderick Green (most likely out for the year with a stress fracture)

Patrick Turner (will be ready to play in Lincoln)

Overall, we were missing a big part of our offense with Washington and Turner out. The play calling however was very vanilla. We didnt want to show anyone the changes that have been made since Kiffin moved on. The only real change that we showed is throwing more to the fullback who looked great. The offense will be alot more dynamic against Nebraska. On the defensive side of the ball, we didnt look great either. For whatever reason, we could not pressure the QB. We rarely blitzed, again the play calling was very vanilla. I believe we will be a lot more aggressive against Nebraska. On a positive note, the special teams looked great. USC has a history of playing to the level of there competition so I wouldnt get to excited about this game, we will see what team comes to play in two weeks. I think having the week off to prepare while you guys have to go to wake forest, gives us a tremendous advantage. Looking forward to the game!

Excellent post and extremely fair IMO. One area however I could not disagree with you more is having the week off. The "ONLY" way to truly straighten out problem is playing games. USC coming to Lincoln having played only one very weak team is a HUGE disadvantage IMO. They haven't played anyone remotely good and haven't seen any real team speed except for scrimmages. That my friend is not how a teams improves. The Huskers have an excellent test to see if everything is running on all cylinder this weekend while USC sits around playing themselves. Assuming no major injuries at WF and of course a win we will be topped off and ready to rocket in Lincoln. Not scheduling a game in 2 weeks, early in the season is a big mistake IMO. Time however will tell...... BTW... I believe USC fans are going to be shocked at how well our players match up with USC. We have perhaps the strongest kick off kicker in college football... Many, many things have changed for the better since last season......... Good post and nice to see a real football fan........ ct....

but, simply put we will be no match for their team speed. i am a fraid they will be in our backfield more than we like.

Remember back in the mid? '70s when We had really fast outside LBs and OU's 3 RBs each took a step in the wrong direction at the snap just to counteract our speed?

EDIT..Er..I mean..Didn't work at all AlunimumTro or TarHeelTrojan..Stupid idea..Looked Dorky.

BTW..If you'd just wear your Trojans on your Heels..You might be able to keep that tar off.

but I still will be picking corn out of my teeth from chewed up screwed up huskers :o

Look at the bright side tarheel trojan, after we kick the crap out of your overrated trojans, you and your nerdy computer buddies can go back to your star wars message boards while you wait for mom's next batch of meatloaf and contemplate coming out of the closet!

Wow, I just re-read my post and it sounds pretty harsh, but I'm sure you've been hearing things like that your whole life so you're probably used to it by now! GO AWAY!

You're Good enough..You're Smart enough..And Gosh Darnit, People LIKE you; PLEASE DON'T GO AWAY!

I was just funnin with ya Tar..Hope I didn't strike a nerve or anything.

I like having you and TroganAluminum around here.

BTW..The Corn here in AZ taste like fieldcorn back home that we fed to Cattle and Stepchildren..actually handy for filling any gaps in your teeth.

Dissapointed in that site mentioned earlier somewhere (Scott Wolff insidesocal)..do you have any sites similar to HuskerBoard..

only about a dozen posters over there and no sense of humor in the bunch.

Great article about this weekend USC game:

http://www.wearesc.com/news/story.php?article=225

Last year I thought Bill Callahan was way to conservative except for the fake punt. It just didnt seem like he wanted to win that bad. Any predictions on how his strategy might change this year?

he has no excuse NOT to loosen things up from the start. i expect us to throw the ball 6 out of the first 10 plays, anything less than that would be a disappointment for me. USC will be playing the run, first and foremost. with the team speed on the D, we will have a tough time gaining any rushing yardage, until we establish some short/intermediate passing to back off the backers. but them again, what do i know?

Man, you do like to set yourself up. I hope we win if BC calls it different than your way cuz' I suspect there will be no end to it. ;)

Well, USC fan I must agree with one thing, Callahan was a consevative play caller in the last game. I appreciate you saying so b/c anyone outside of this board can see it.

I hope we have a different outcome but I think it will take trick plays and taking some chances to get it done. Also, it will require our defense to make critical stops and turnovers. Unfortunately, 2 weeks to prepare is very bad for us Huskers.

Watch out now, were getting healthy!

Brian Cushing said he can put pressure on his sprained ankle and will "definitely" play against Nebraska.

Josh Pinkard said he suffered a bone bruise in his knee and will try to practice tomorrow but does not know if he will return for Nebraska. Patrick Turner just checked out his X-rays with team doctors and said he will be fine for the Nebraska game.

Watch out now, were getting healthy!

Brian Cushing said he can put pressure on his sprained ankle and will "definitely" play against Nebraska.

Josh Pinkard said he suffered a bone bruise in his knee and will try to practice tomorrow but does not know if he will return for Nebraska. Patrick Turner just checked out his X-rays with team doctors and said he will be fine for the Nebraska game.

I bleed red checked with his therapist, and he should be good to go for USC also.

The time of possession differential in this matchup has me chuckling: Idaho 27:26, USC 32:34, a rather stunning lack of ball control for this juggernaut, especially when compared with lowly Nebraska's 40:38 compared with Nevada's 19:22.

Uhhh....How many times did USC run the ball? Because i know for a fact that Nebraska ran it 70 times! TOP jumps in that favor. And you don't need to hog the ball to dominate a team. Turnovers and quick scores can lead to a TOP like that.

I bleed Husker red and all, but come on. Come up with some better symptoms for your "head in the clouds, we're absolutely not losing to USC" mentality. We all want to win, but you got to stay grounded.