CFN's Week 2 Prediction

Nebraska (1-0) at Wake Forest (0-1) 12:00 PM ESPN

Why to Watch: It’s news enough that the Cornhuskers are coming to little Groves Stadium to take on the Deacons, but this one has gone from a Nebraska layup when the contract was signed a couple years ago to an intriguing intersectional matchup after Wake Forest stunned the world with an ACC title, and looked awfully good in a 38-28 loss to Boston College last week. Nebraska has been pointing toward this season for a while and hopes to return to preeminence now that coach Bill Callahan has had three years to put his system into place. Meanwhile, the Deacons will try to rebound from last week’s tough loss, and will look to avoid a three-game losing streak without quarterback Riley Skinner (separated shoulder).

Why Nebraska Might Win: The I backs weren’t dashing across the plains as in days of old, but any time you pile up 413 yards rushing, you’re doing something right. Give credit to tailback Marlon Lucky (233 yards), but more hosannas should ring down on the Nebraska offensive line, which is leaner and faster this season after years of not being up to Husker snuff. The front five paved the way for 625 yards of total offense in the rout of Nevada. And while new starter (and Arizona State transfer) Sam Keller was average in his debut (14-of-25, 193 yards), he’ll face a Wake defense that surrendered 408 yards and five scores to BC’s Matt Ryan. Meanwhile, the Nebraska front seven will face a Wake ground attack that produced a mere four yards last week. If the Huskers don’t make mega-mistakes, they’ll win.

Why Wake Forest Might Win: Could the Huskers be looking ahead to USC? Their heads might be back in Lincoln worrying about next weekend's epic clash with the nation's best team. This week, t Deacons will likely be without Skinner, but redshirt freshman Brett Hodges showed a good command of the offense under tough circumstances. If the short passing game crackling, the Cornhusker secondary may find itself in one-on-one matchups that it might not win; the Wake receivers are better than given credit for. Defensively, the Deacons must force Nebraska into passing by crowding the box and forcing Keller to make plays. Possibly a bit rusty still, Keller is more likely to make mistakes than the Husker running backs will.

Whom to Watch: Hodges has a bit of an advantage heading into this game since Nebraska won’t have a lot of film on him, as they would have had on Skinner. That said, coming into a relief situation is one thing; starting against a nationally-ranked club is quite another. Hodges needs to trust the system, be precise with his throws and get rid of the ball quickly. If he does that, Wake will have a chance. If not, it could get uglier than a Phyllis Diller marathon.

What Will Happen: Wake’s home field energy will keep it close for a while, but in the end, Nebraska will wear down the lighter, thinner Deacons.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 31 ... Wake Forest 20 ... Line: Nebraska -7.5

Must See Rating: (5 Mad Men - 1 Chelsea Lately) ... 4

Final Score:

Their prediction closely matches what I would predict (NU-31/Wake-7) with Wake getting their lone TD on their first drive before the Blackshirts settle down and man-handle em.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 31 ... Wake Forest 20 ... Line: Nebraska -7.5

Must See Rating: (5 Mad Men - 1 Chelsea Lately) ... 4

Their prediction closely matches what I would predict (NU-31/Wake-7) with Wake getting their lone TD on their first drive before the Blackshirts settle down and man-handle em.

31-7 is not a close match to 31-20.....Vegas would love you!!! :laughpound

Also....

but more hosannas should ring down on the Nebraska offensive line, which is leaner and faster this season

I'm sorry....I must be missing the 'lean' part?!?!

-Nicks 6'5" - 330 lbs

-Christensen 6'3" - 305 lbs

-Byford 6'3" - 300 lbs

-Slauson 6'5 - 335 lbs

-Murtha - 6'7" - 310 lbs

Last time I checked....that's a bunch of big friggin' dudes? I'd hate to see this columnists idea of a 'big' line!!!

but more hosannas should ring down on the Nebraska offensive line, which is leaner and faster this season

I'm sorry....I must be missing the 'lean' part?!?!

-Nicks 6'5" - 330 lbs

-Christensen 6'3" - 305 lbs

-Byford 6'3" - 300 lbs

-Slauson 6'5 - 335 lbs

-Murtha - 6'7" - 310 lbs

Last time I checked....that's a bunch of big friggin' dudes? I'd hate to see this columnists idea of a 'big' line!!!

I don't think he meant skinny or little when he said "lean." I think he meant they move a lot better and were more physically active than they would be if they were a bunch of fat asses. I might be wrong though!!