Gameplan

I don't know if we meant to deliberately look bad (think if we would have lost . . . on purpose!), but I DO think that Callahan and Cosgrove were playing it pretty vanilla. We heard over the summer about some of Cosgrove's crazy new defensive schemes and we didn't see a SINGLE one of them, even when Wake Forest was shoving that end-around down our throats every single down.

And the offense? Every play was either a run up the middle or a ten-yard pass route. Keller looked uncomfortable, but I think the best way to let him GET comfortable was to call like we called that last drive of the second half, and look what happened: we walked down the field and scored. Easily. Callahan was DEFINITELY calling it conservative.

I tend to think the same thing. We seen nothing out of the extraordinary today. Everything seemed to be a little vanilla.

wow, i'm glad someone else thinks this too!! I don't know about 50 or a ploy, but i was thinking why we didn't dominate them, and as i was explaining to my little bro, it hit me: we were pretty vanilla on offense and didn't get too crazy with schemes on defense.

to be certain Wake played well enough to win and we had our hands full upfront, but i think BC didn't show too much for SC.

no trick plays, no reverses, only one screen i can remember, lots of basic out routes by WR, etc...just a hunch, but i bet it gets opened up quite a bit next week.

"hide" our plays? Our formations?

We've been running this sh#t for over three years now, somehow I think the guys at USC can figure some of it out.

I don't know what exactly Bill Callahan & Co. had in mind with this Wake Forest game, but they stunk it up pretty bad in my book.

Let me get this straight.....The team shouldn't look past Wake to next week but the coaches changed the playbook and left it that way during a close game because they play USC next week? Seriously, maybe if they played Ball St. but not against Wake on the road in a close game. I would be shocked if that was the case. I think they would have opened up the playbook after the game stayed close.

The problem with opening the playbook is the way they practice during the week. They 'install' packages for the game plan and practice those exclusively. They also practice the two minute offense several times every week. So, opening the playbook is complicated by that fact. We ran the ball well on individual plays, but did not seem to string those together. There were pass plays that Keller did well on, but we saw drops by receivers. I do not think Callahan felt the need to open the play book. There was periodic success when the line played well and receivers looked the ball in.

Just my opinion

Let me ask you guy’s a question and this may sound crazy and I am sure it is. At dinner tonight a gentlemen noticed my Nebraska shirt and asked if I watched the game. I told him yes and he went into spat informing me that the Wake Forest game was nothing but a ploy.

I asked him to go into more detail about what he meant. He said Nebraska could have one that game by 50 points if they really wanted to, but they wanted to look weak and surprise USC next week.

Was this guy just drunk and talking out of his a** or do you believe that there might be some truth behind this?

IMO, this guy is an idiot.

Please give me your opinions; again, I know this sounds crazy.

no way, they played as well as they could yesterday. some people are just full of sh#t!

Let me ask you guy’s a question and this may sound crazy and I am sure it is. At dinner tonight a gentlemen noticed my Nebraska shirt and asked if I watched the game. I told him yes and he went into spat informing me that the Wake Forest game was nothing but a ploy.

I asked him to go into more detail about what he meant. He said Nebraska could have one that game by 50 points if they really wanted to, but they wanted to look weak and surprise USC next week.

Was this guy just drunk and talking out of his a** or do you believe that there might be some truth behind this?

IMO, this guy is an idiot.

Please give me your opinions; again, I know this sounds crazy.

no way, they played as well as they could yesterday. some people are just full of sh#t!

Big WIlle mentioned it was very, very hot at the game ...that had to take a toll on us

Do I think it was planned? No, not to the extent which we kept the score as close as it was. But lemme tell you this: that playbook was all but closed on that game. Despite the passing, there was very little motion. USC won't be able to observe what the shifts indicate for this coming week. I think we would have opened up that team a loooot more for the run if we would have shifted in and out of different looks. The game was all but a home game, so I don't think you can account for it with the crowd factor.

Anyway, I doubt that was intentional. But If it was, and we see a whole different team come Saturday, then we'll have to call Callahan the most brilliant coach in history, with balls the size of Texas (and we all know everything is bigger in Texas). Kind of interesting to think about, though....

:bonez And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

what? you don't think USC doesn't remember our formation shifts from last year or they don't have access to film of last years games? the days of hiding stuff are long gone, not to say we might not have a couple new wrinkles, but besides that evertime we shift or call a play audible, for the most part, it ends up being a run anyway, so coming out with trick plays is not the answer.

the teams needs to play solid ball and beat guys at their positions, man on man. simple as that.

Black label...nice work not talking about my points rather discussing me.

Anyway, I am happy we won but I am concerned we gave up 236 yds rushing. My point was we were not looking ahead but perhaps we took Wake too lightly regardless of USC. I don't think our players are overrated...I have never said that. I think our team win against Nevada made us look better than we might be. I am a huge Keller fan and I like our linebackers coming into the season. What is your problem? I am not pissed off at all.

both of the first games went pretty much as i thought. we pounded Nevada and struggled against WF. i predicted a 20-16 score before the game, it all went pretty much as i thought.

we are not as good as we had hoped, but there is room for improvement. plain and simple, our receivers can't run decent routes and that is reflected in the poor timming. i think they still struggle to get off the line and are often dominated by the D backs, although there were exceptions yesterday as well.

we will absolutely have to play flawless against USC. Grixby will be a mess, he almost cost us another series and life for WF on 4th down. Bowman was a pleasant surprise and a game saver, one of the few DB's that has any talent at all.

we will struggle against the USC defense, more speed than we have ever seen. they will be well prepared.

we cannot afford 3 turnovers either, that kind of sloppy play will result in a loss for sure.

I hope our guys can pull their heads out of their asses now that this game is finally here. I think that the media and all of us have made this game such a big deal (which honestly it is) that the team has been looking forward to it all off-season and after yesterdays game through the season. Maybe now that it's here we will see them get a little more comfortable???

I do kind of think that maybe they are holding back a little bit and throwing some different things for USC to consider. You got to think that a week after running the ball 70 times we try and go to the air more. Tell me that Bill isn't holding back.

look, call it what you want, ever team installs something a little different depending on the preceived weakness or tendencies of their opponent, that is just good scouting and film research. but i just don't think we held back anything at Wake, we stuggled to win that game, plain and simple.

don't get your hopes up for magic in the USC game, just hope for better all around execution and play making, that is what the other team will bring when they come to town.