Blackshirts be gone!!!

Redout

Do playoffs ruin the regular season for any other division or any other sport? I wouldn't say that it does. Every team wants to go out and win every game. Plus, there are some instances that a one loss team is the best team in the country and a playoff would prove that they are.

I just don't think that a team that loses 2 or even 3 games deserves to have a chance at the title. Thats my feelings. I think the bcs is fair enough. I don't see how you could draw a line. How many teams do you have make it? Either way someone will get screwed. 9 times out of 10 the team wins it that probably should have won it.

Having that feeling Benard, then what would you have said in 97' if Michigan would have had sole possession of the National Championship? Don't get met wrong, I believe we would have shredded Michigan; but the only reason we got a share of the title was because T.O. was retiring. If there wouldn't have been a big tada over that and Frost's campaigning after throttling Tennessee, we wouldn't have gotten a share of the title.

How about Penn State in 1994? I think we would have beaten them, but they got totally screwed. IMO, you take the top 8 teams and have a playoff. For the rest of the teams, they get their normal bowl games. The BCS bowl games now all of a sudden are playoff games for the top 8. Whichever bowl is supposed to get the title game that year get exactly that the game with the last two left. Yeah there will be controversy over the 7th, 8th, 9th, and possibly 10th team; but how often will the lowest seeds win it all?

I'm all for a title game because if for no other reason there wouldn't have to be a shared title. When the BCS was formed, it was supposed to take care of this. Well last year what did we have? A shared title! Also, we wouldn't have to worry about whether Utah finishes this year undefeated and does or doesn't make a BCS game because all D1 schools are now on a level playing field.

Plus, if a playoff system is so bad then why in the hell do we have a Big 12 championship game? It's basically the same. It's a playoff to see which division is better the North or the South. If it weren't for that game, we would have been playing for a title in 96'. A lot of conferences have championship games which begs the question why not a playoff system?

Having that feeling Benard, then what would you have said in 97' if Michigan would have had sole possession of the National Championship? Don't get met wrong, I believe we would have shredded Michigan; but the only reason we got a share of the title was because T.O. was retiring. If there wouldn't have been a big tada over that and Frost's campaigning after throttling Tennessee, we wouldn't have gotten a share of the title.

How about Penn State in 1994? I think we would have beaten them, but they got totally screwed. IMO, you take the top 8 teams and have a playoff. For the rest of the teams, they get their normal bowl games. The BCS bowl games now all of a sudden are playoff games for the top 8. Whichever bowl is supposed to get the title game that year get exactly that the game with the last two left. Yeah there will be controversy over the 7th, 8th, 9th, and possibly 10th team; but how often will the lowest seeds win it all?

I'm all for a title game because if for no other reason there wouldn't have to be a shared title. When the BCS was formed, it was supposed to take care of this. Well last year what did we have? A shared title! Also, we wouldn't have to worry about whether Utah finishes this year undefeated and does or doesn't make a BCS game because all D1 schools are now on a level playing field.

I agree, the BCS more or less sucks ass.

I would say that Texas A&M's defense is the best that they were going to play this year. Urban Meyer had a great game plan against them and tore them to shreads. He will do the same thing against Colorado State and BYU. Wyoming is not going to be much of a game because they don't have a good enough defense to stop Smith.

Texas A&M's defense is ranked slightly ahead of BYU's. But BYU has some wrinkles that no one else runs. BYU and Utah had the same teams last year. Utah was shreading everyone, but they only managed 3-0 win. The difference this year is BYU's QB is healthy, and remember these names: Colley and Watkins. They are two big time receivers who are better than any receiver Utah has seen, including Texas A&M. I know this is a Husker board, so that's the last I'll say about MWC football.

Do playoffs ruin the regular season for any other division or any other sport? I wouldn't say that it does. Every team wants to go out and win every game. Plus, there are some instances that a one loss team is the best team in the country and a playoff would prove that they are.

I would say they do ruin the regular season. March madness is fun, but it reduces December and January college basketball to preseason NBA games as far as their importance. The team that wins the Super Bowl rarely has the best record in the NFL. I'm not even going to mention how ridiculous the baseball regular season is. You can't get around the fact that college football is the only sport where every game is important and exciting, and that a playoff would fundamentally change that. You think Texas-Oklahoma or FSU-Miami would be as fun to watch if we knew that both the teams were going to the playoff at the end of the year regardless who won. How about 2001 Oklahoma-Nebraska? That was one of the most emotional games I've ever seen. It wouldn't have been as enjoyable with a playoff in place.

Are you insane. Comparing college basketball to preseason NBA. Maybe you don't watch those games, but they are very important for seedings in conference tournaments and for RPI rankings to get in to the big dance. As far as Nebraska-Oklahoma game in 2001. That game was great and everyone was looking forward to a rematch in the Big 12 title game. A playoff system would give us more great matchup at the end of the year. The stupid BCS is why we don't have great non-conference matchups because no one wants that one stupid lose that would ruin their chances at a championship. A playoff would encourage big time matchups so that teams can see just how good they are.

And How are you going to determine the 8th team from the 9th team? You can't do it, someone still gets screwed. If anything I would say after the bowl games if their are 2 undefeateds then they could play for a title game or something like that but in most years there aren't 2 undefeateds and chances are there won't be again this year.

Are you insane. Comparing college basketball to preseason NBA. Maybe you don't watch those games, but they are very important for seedings in conference tournaments and for RPI rankings to get in to the big dance.

Yes, those non-conference games in december are really important for seeding in conference tournaments. The Big10-ACC challenge has a lot to do with who gets into the big dance. The truth is, there are about 30 teams each year that are basically going to get in no matter what. Hence any games between those teams lose a lot of the value that they would have without a tournament. I'm not saying that college basketball shouldn't have a tournament. It's a different sport. It's just an illustration as to how a tournament de-values the regular season. In football we can have every game count, so why not keep it that way. Are you honestly going to argue that an early season matchup of Kentucky-Duke in basketball has the same feel as FSU-Miami in football? Not even close. It's good hoops, but everyone knows it really doesn't matter that much.

All games are looked at when it comes to RPI. A lose by Duke to a Michigan team during the ACC-Big 10 challenge has a big effect on what their RPI is. When the committe looks at teams, they look at who they lose to, and if that team is not very good then it is a strike against them. Maybe it would not affect Duke very much on getting in (it would affect their seeding), but it hurts the Big 12 every year. Oklahoma didn't get into the big dance last year because they had a poor RPI and lost to teams in the nonconference that they shouldn't have. As far as nonconference games in football. Yes, I love watching FSU-Miami, but guess what, they are in the same conference now and I would put the Duke-NC game way ahead of that as far as what I would want to watch. Plus, there are only about five or six non-conference games a year in football that bring any attention. Schools are afraid to play good teams during the nonconference season because they don't want that lose, but in basketball, they can overcome that loss and give the fans a treat by actually playing a good team not a Western Illionis, or Akron, Pacific, McNesse State. Give me a break, nonconfernce in basketball actually has teams that are good playing one another. Football is a freakin joke when it comes to nonconference games. For every nonconference football game that matches two top twenty five team, there are about ten more for basketball. All the nonconference games in football are for, is so that teams can blow out sh**ty teams so that they can impress voters so that they can be one of the top two teams in the BCS. Thats a freaking joke. Lets be men, and settle the national championship on the field, not on paper. The teams should settle it, not a bunch of voters that have personal bias.

Like I said before, it just depends on what your meaning of championship is. I think demanding perfection over a the course of an entire season is something great that college football has that no other sport does. The vast majority of the time, the national champion will be undefeated. Yes, every once in a while there will be split title like last year. And there will always teams that whine that they deserve a shot no matter what. But as Benard pointed out, there would be just as much whining over the eighth playoff spot. Under the current system, if you go undefeated and play a good schedule, its almost certain you'll be in the title game. If you lose, too bad.

I'm not saying the BCS is the greatest thing ever. I just happen to think it preserves what I think a playoff would destroy. You said earlier that early season games are important for seeding in postseason tournaments in basketball. Well, early season games are important in football because the tournament begins at the beginning of the year. Lose and you're out.