Everyone take a deep breath and calm down

billdozer15

I must admit I was so upset on saturday night i shut the game off when the score got to 28-10. I have never done that ever, but when i got up sunday i retrieved it off the tivo and rewatched it. I think maybe some excessive amounts of hopps and barley impaired my vision of the game.

If we take away the two INT's in our own territory that led to an easy 14 points for USC we are looking at a completely different game. Granted our defense did not play the best, but turning the ball over deep in your own territory doesnt help. I was pleased with the way we were able to move the ball on USC, remember this is the best team in the country with probably the most talented defense and we still put up 31 pts. The offensive play calling suprised me in a good way. I thought cally would opt for another conservative attack. I think we need to come away from this game thinking positive. Granted i wanted to win so bad, but i think i was looking through some rose colored glasses.

If we can minimize our offensive mistakes, we are going to pour points on the rest of the teams we play. However, something has to be done about the defense this offseason. In the last four years our defense has not gotten anybetter and possibly worse, while our offense is taking strides. So everyone take a deep breath, look at the rest of the schedule and realize if our offense can produce like it did on saturday and continue to improve as Keller settles in, it will be a long season for the rest of the Big 12.

I must admit I was so upset on saturday night i shut the game off when the score got to 28-10. I have never done that ever, but when i got up sunday i retrieved it off the tivo and rewatched it. I think maybe some excessive amounts of hopps and barley impaired my vision of the game.

If we take away the two INT's in our own territory that led to an easy 14 points for USC we are looking at a completely different game. Granted our defense did not play the best, but turning the ball over deep in your own territory doesnt help. I was pleased with the way we were able to move the ball on USC, remember this is the best team in the country with probably the most talented defense and we still put up 31 pts. The offensive play calling suprised me in a good way. I thought cally would opt for another conservative attack. I think we need to come away from this game thinking positive. Granted i wanted to win so bad, but i think i was looking through some rose colored glasses.

If we can minimize our offensive mistakes, we are going to pour points on the rest of the teams we play. However, something has to be done about the defense this offseason. In the last four years our defense has not gotten anybetter and possibly worse, while our offense is taking strides. So everyone take a deep breath, look at the rest of the schedule and realize if our offense can produce like it did on saturday and continue to improve as Keller settles in, it will be a long season for the rest of the Big 12.

Some folks have been giving the offensive line grief for the way they played...and from what happened, our O-Line didn't suffer until our offense became one-dimensional (because our defense played Matador more than defender...). Our O-Line was at a numerical disadvantage, which led to the piss-poor ground game and the two interceptions IMO.

But you're right--our offense was doing well until that point, and a decent defense (not even the best in the land...just one that could occasionally stop the run) would have helped to give us a win and/or keep it extremely tight.

That's why the people that are calling for Callahan's head right now are looking so out of touch--we have improved as a team, but we're still not 100% where we need to be. But the Big XII title (depending if OU is legit or not, which no one knows currently) is still available. We just need Cally to get a better defensive coordinator for the long haul if he wants to elevate the team to the next level.

Do you realize that we play the "IF" excuse card more often than not.

I think people are overreacting. They just got caught up in thinking BC wasn't a bad coach, that we are getting better and we could hang with good teams. And now they can't believe their eyes.

We got what a lot of people knew was coming and now we need to regroup, make adjustments and improve so we can try and win the North and get 10 wins.

Husker nation will be giddy after Ball St.

The overall game was disgusting and NU is not a top 15 team this year.

HOWEVER, I saw 4 areas of hope:

1) Sam Keller is a QB with excellent passing skills and the guts to take a hit and come back. Moreover, he showed me more LEADERSHIP qualities in the USC game that at either of the 2 prior games. If he continues to improve, he will be great by mid-season.

2) Our WR's and TE's started CATCHING the ball. Todd Peterson took some punishing hits and still made the catch.

3) The OL provided pretty decent pass protection for much of the game. (too bad they could open any rushing lanes.... but lets not get negative.)

4) Our Defensive secondary played a pretty good game! USC has all-star recievers and they didn't get open.

There is much to be disappointed about, but at least there are a few glimmers of hope!