The Future of Husker Football

bach57

We'll be in the Big 12 championship this year, but I think we'll lose a close one to Texas. We'll go to the Cotton Bowl and beat Bama.

As for long term, I think by 2009 we'll be competing for a national championship.

We will beat Texas this year. They are struggling big time. I think we play OU agian in the Big 12 championship. I think we are still a few years from a NC type team. We are going to need to get some major talent on defense as well as a better defensive play caller. I think NU should go out a break the bank trying to get a defensive guru in there as coordinator.

I know that this is wishful thinking and won’t happen, but if we fire Steve Peterson we might be able to get Bo Pelini to come back to Nebraska. He is one of the best coaches in the nation. In his 4 years at LSU he has only had one game where the opposing team has scored 30+. With that type of defense you hardly need an offense. Bo Pelini is dying to get a head coaching job at a big time program. Nebraska needs to act before its to late. Sadly I know this will never happen its just a wish.

No...a good program of our caliber does not create scandals by firing people and inviting people who left with distaste back. It doesn't happen. Solich is not going to come back and Nebraska will not go back to the option. It's just an impossibility. "Whoops, we fired you, but..." or "Whoops, we didn't think you were a good enough coach, but..."

Callahan is a smart guy who's an able recruiter, has a lot of experience, and knows what he's doing. He's well-composed (*cough* Mangino *cough*), not a secretive arrogant a-hole (*cough* Weiss *cough*), and always represents our program well when he speaks to the media.

Patience....we can be like Notre Dame, and fire every heralded coach we bring in after a few lackluster years, or see that Cally is solid guy with high character, and have faith. I believe he's the right guy for this program and, like Osborne, will show this in time. In twenty years we'll be looking back and laughing, "I can't believe we actually wanted to fire this guy way back when."

No...a good program of our caliber does not create scandals by firing people and inviting people who left with distaste back. It doesn't happen. Solich is not going to come back and Nebraska will not go back to the option. It's just an impossibility. "Whoops, we fired you, but..." or "Whoops, we didn't think you were a good enough coach, but..."

Callahan is a smart guy who's an able recruiter, has a lot of experience, and knows what he's doing. He's well-composed (*cough* Mangino *cough*), not a secretive arrogant a-hole (*cough* Weiss *cough*), and always represents our program well when he speaks to the media.

Patience....we can be like Notre Dame, and fire every heralded coach we bring in after a few lackluster years, or see that Cally is solid guy with high character, and have faith. I believe he's the right guy for this program and, like Osborne, will show this in time. In twenty years we'll be looking back and laughing, "I can't believe we actually wanted to fire this guy way back when."

Agree completely. It was abundantly obvious Saturday night that we need to accumulate more talent on both sides of the football if we're going to compete with the USC's of the world in the coming years. We were outmatched at just about every position. BC is the best man we have to recruit that kind of talent, but its gonna take a few more years.

As far as season predictions go, I think we win the North, get trounced by OU in the Big XII championship game, and win a close Cotton Bowl over Alabama.

I'm optimistic but realistic. I think the Huskers can be a consistent top-15/10 team who competes for a national title every couple of years. The days where we are going to be in the hunt every year might be gone, especially in light of the parity that is present in college football today. If we overhaul the defensive staff, I think our chances of success go up exponentially. I don't think we'll win the Big XII this year though, Oklahoma looks way too strong.

I know that this is wishful thinking and won’t happen, but if we fire Steve Peterson we might be able to get Bo Pelini to come back to Nebraska. He is one of the best coaches in the nation. In his 4 years at LSU he has only had one game where the opposing team has scored 30+. With that type of defense you hardly need an offense. Bo Pelini is dying to get a head coaching job at a big time program. Nebraska needs to act before its to late. Sadly I know this will never happen its just a wish.

f#*k Bo Pelini. f#*k him up his stupid cro-magnon man looking ass.

My take on the future of Husker Football is bleak. We are going to continue being a 9 win team, with a lot of NFl prospects, as if that mattered.

Now USC is a great team, however our defenses lack of showing in that game and in the four years Beau Bridges has been coach is no excuse. As a Raider fan in California, I can tell you, our teams performance is typical of Beau Bridges led teams.

I was not a fan of this guy getting hired and am not one today. For us to get blown like that was simply inexcusable. I still believe a pro set offense a la Florida that uses the option and a strong running game is key.

I believe we need a Nebraskan to run the program, and quite honestly Frank Solich in a Bobby Bowden role, with Bo Pellini as Associate HC and DC would have been our best option. It is one thing to get outplayed and another to basically freeze.

All the facilities in the world cannot win you games, ask Oregon. I would rather go back to the days when we won with hard working young men. And for those of us who think people will think highly of Nebraska because we now have world class facilities, think again. We are still Nebraska, only a few of us care about it because we are from there. But regardless of the facilities, I know lots of recruits who come out here to the bay and go to Cal even though Cal has the worst facilities in D1, Why? because its close to San Francisco, its beautiful and not in the middle of nowhere. I love NU and I want all the best athletes to go there. But we don't need to try to keep up with the Oregons et al we need to be us and thats what got us into prominence.

Correct me if I am wrong:

If OU keeps winning like they are, and we play them in the Big 12 Championship, and they are National Title Contenders. If they were to win against us, would that still put us in a BCS Bowl Game since they will move on to play for the NC????

If we win out and then lose to OU in the title game, then yea, we'd have a strong case to be an at-large bid to the Fiesta Bowl. We'd have an 11-2 record with both losses coming against Top-5 teams. But I think we'd have to win the rest of the way (including winning AT Texas) for that to be a possibility.

Correct me if I am wrong:

If OU keeps winning like they are, and we play them in the Big 12 Championship, and they are National Title Contenders. If they were to win against us, would that still put us in a BCS Bowl Game since they will move on to play for the NC????

nice thought, but let's take it one game at a time. patience!