The Future of Husker Football

bach57

All the facilities in the world cannot win you games, ask Oregon. I would rather go back to the days when we won with hard working young men. And for those of us who think people will think highly of Nebraska because we now have world class facilities, think again. We are still Nebraska, only a few of us care about it because we are from there.

This is true. Nebraska is a fine school with a fine tradition of winning, in the very best way. I do believe Nebraska will return to prominence within the next few years, at least I hope so very much. It ain't college football without Nebraska being in the top tier on a regular basis. You guy's fan base is one of the best (if not THE best) in all of college football. Coming from an OU fan, this ought to inspire some faith in the program, not that you needed it.

We'll be in the Big 12 championship this year, but I think we'll lose a close one to Texas. We'll go to the Cotton Bowl and beat Bama.

As for long term, I think by 2009 we'll be competing for a national championship.

We will beat Texas this year. They are struggling big time. I think we play OU agian in the Big 12 championship. I think we are still a few years from a NC type team. We are going to need to get some major talent on defense as well as a better defensive play caller. I think NU should go out a break the bank trying to get a defensive guru in there as coordinator.

Texas is going to turn the jets on starting this weekend. Mark it down. They'll edge OU in a VERY close game (31-28).

PLEASE, return to real life. It's possible that Texas will beat OU, but I seriously doubt it. They are the fifth best team in the Big XII after OU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.

We'll be in the Big 12 championship this year, but I think we'll lose a close one to Texas. We'll go to the Cotton Bowl and beat Bama.

As for long term, I think by 2009 we'll be competing for a national championship.

We will beat Texas this year. They are struggling big time. I think we play OU agian in the Big 12 championship. I think we are still a few years from a NC type team. We are going to need to get some major talent on defense as well as a better defensive play caller. I think NU should go out a break the bank trying to get a defensive guru in there as coordinator.

Texas is going to turn the jets on starting this weekend. Mark it down. They'll edge OU in a VERY close game (31-28).

PLEASE, return to real life. It's possible that Texas will beat OU, but I seriously doubt it. They are the fifth best team in the Big XII after OU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech.

I don't know if UT is below Nebraska aTm and TT, but OU is definitely head and shoulders above them...no way Texas wins that game

Sorry to sound like a homer, but Texas will not win the South. I think you know what that means. I think Nebraska wins the North, and has a shot at beating OU in the championship game. However, I think they lose a close one and go on to a major bowl.

not unless we improve our line play. you guys will beat us 14+ but yes I dont see you losing to the horns either

I don't know if UT is below Nebraska aTm and TT, but OU is definitely head and shoulders above them...no way Texas wins that game

I would be darn happy to see Nebraska run the North table from here on out, as well as beat Texas and T A&M. I like A&M for toughness, but Nebraska WILL step up in the coming weeks, I really believe that. These are "The Huskers" for crying out loud! :)

You know, when I was younger, it was simply OU winning all the way that I was concerned about. But as you grow older, you learn to respect football for what it is. You also begin to identify with like minds and mindsets and learn to love other things for what they represent and how things feel deep inside, in your heart. It is for that reason that I have so much respect for the Nebraska tradition. You guys epitomize what College Football is all about and I love college football. So, it's only natural that I have so much respect for the Husker Nation and her fans.

You know, i hate to say this, because i have been very careful about not criticizing coaches, but I really do think we need a change in the defensive coaching staff. Im not going to go out there and say that I know more about football than coz, but i do know how to add, and we are giving up alot of yards and points despite the fact that we are actually forcing teams to be one dimensional. Our secondary, which was ridiculed last year, is playing very well. Our d-line is getting no push, cant pressure the quarterbacks, and our safeties and linebackers cant tackle. This was also the second game in a row where a team killed us with one play. I have never seen the counter trey run 15 times in a game for about 20 yards a pop. They never play actioned off of it, they never had to, because we were simply out of position every time. That comes down to coaching. There are teams out there, Virginia Tech, Auburn, and TCU come to mind, that have terrific defenses every year without fifty five star players like USC has, and that comes down to coaching. I really think that to reach the next level, we are going to need a change. I dont think we can live on the mantra that we NEED to recruit nfl caliber defensive players to have a good defense, because we are never going to be able to consistantly recruit that kind of talent. I think we are well coached offensively, and the coaching staff seems to make strides every year in that regard, but I dont think their defensive counterparts are holding up their end of the bargain.

We will drop 2 more this year (I think to both Texas teams, thankfully we don't play Tech) and play OU in the championship. They will beat us easily and we will be 9-4 going into the bowl game. It will be EXACTLY like last year.

And if we do win out but lose to OU we will NOT be given any looks for a BCS game.

Well, aren't you a bright beacon of positivity.

I agree, but there is no way Texas is beating out Oklahoma int he Big 12 South. Texas is looking pretty bad this year.

Texas had some good players suspended. They may not be looking great but they are undefeated and I remember EVERYONE saying that USC was overrated and they look so beatable against Idaho. Well they looked unbeatable against us. I wouldn't judge Texas too quickly. OU owns the BIG 12 barring any amazing upset.

We need to concentrate a lot on improving our defense and making sure we win the north. If we don't, I don't give 1 damn crap about us making positive strides. The north and our remaining opposition are a big enough concern after the last 2 weeks.

I think I feel comfortable with where I think we are right now:

1. Our program is no longer in the elite status

2. Memorial Stadium is not a difficult place to win

Wll...Lincoln was a tough place for #5 Texas to get a win last year. For all intents and purposes they lost. And I dont think there is a place on the planet that's tough for this USC team to get a win. We'll see how they do against PAC-10 opponents. Those are the only two home losses in 06 and 07.

Also, I don't see how you can say our recruiting classes aren't getting better. Maybe we're not rivaling USC for recruits and maybe all those recruiting rankings are worthless, but I'll take the incoming classes we have now over the ones we had 3-4 years ago.

I'm frustrated we no longer have "elite status" too, but you can't expect to turn a program around from where this one was in 2002-2004 in a matter of a few years. Competition for recruits is more intense than ever. I know I sound like Bill Callahan, but as long as we stay headed in the right direction, I'm confident that in less than five years we can be back to elite status.

I am stating where we are right now. That #5 Texas team didn't even win the south. Texas lost at K-State last year, I sure hope that doesn't mean Manhattan is a tougher place to win than in Lincoln. In fact, since the Big 12 started we are 0-3 against Texas in Lincoln.

So we now have all these 4-5 star recruits... where are they? I can't think of 1 position where we have a legit All-American, or even All-Big12 except maybe Purify and Kunalic. How can you say our recruiting classes are getting better if we have maybe 1 All-conference player? We have no playmakers, plain and simple. We have slow linebackers and undersized d-backs.

And yes, you can turn around an elite program in a matter of a few years... Florida, Oklahoma, and USC are few good examples. The success at those schools is the combination of the program and the right head coach. I don't think you send Pete Carroll to Iowa State and see a NC contender ever... but Florida State or Tennessee.. maybe.