not X's on O's

HANC

In all fairness, Dillard should be playing. He played much better against USC than the other linebackers with the exception of maybe Octavien.

Don't take this the wrong way, but should really means nothing because we rarely ever see the guy. All I ever hear about is how I'm not at practice and we have to trust that the coaches that are at practice know best. We all know how the LB corp. has performed the last two weeks. I guess we have to take it that Dillard just isn't as good as those that have been playing. Again, no refining going on or else he was way overhyped before he got here. I have no idea which is it other than to think or believe the coaches do not think he's as good as those that have been getting their jockstraps torched!

I'm not a Coz fan, but I also don't think he's stupid. No way in hell is he not going to put the best players as he sees them on the field. Again, either these coaches are not doing a very good job of refining these incoming recruits or these incoming recruits are busts. This is the only thing I can think of as being the problem.

It's still probably a combination, and not as black and white as you're making it out to be.

I've never claimed that having top recruiting classes is the only component to having a top team. It is, however, important to get good athletes in the positions you need them. As you yourself have pointed out, just because rivals.com or scout.com says someone is good (or average), it doesn't necessarily mean they can't turn out to be average (or good). When looking at the talent we've brought in during last year's recruiting, and what we look to be bringing in so far for this year's, I would say the talent is probably better than our previous recruiting classes, even if rivals.com or scout.com ranks the overall class a few spots lower than our "best" class.

I think the talent on defense is not being fully utilized, though. Our offense is coming along fine, but our defense just hasn't been that great for a while now, and hasn't really shown too many signs of improvement.

As I said before, I believe we are bringing in better and better talent, but we're not getting large numbers of marquee athletes yet. I also don't think we should be yet, either. We are not getting the same level of athletes as USC, and that is a factor. At the same time, we should be able to do more than we have been with our talent, mainly on defense.

First of all, I am not a "rose-colored glasses" guy.... I am a realist and pesimist by nature..... Furthermore, as many know, I have coached football for many years..... as stated numerous times, this does NOT make my opinions right/wrong, but maybe just adds a little "different"perspective now and agian...

I for one think that BC is doing okay.....not great, but not as bad as some think..... His game plan was perfect offensively for USC (better than other games)...but once agian, I felt that in the USC environment last season, he had a great game plan that gave his team the best opportunity to win (close going into the 4th...unlike this season).....this year, I felt at home with Keller, he had to take chances and he did....

I keep reading all of this stuff about Coz and his defense..... Granted, and agreed with..... Carroll out-coached Coz up and down the field...but Carroll has down this to almost everyone..... Yes, Coz needs to re-evaluate his schemes vs certain teams, but more importantly, he needs to re-evaluate his talent....

Anyone who actually "watched" this game in depth, realizes that USC outmanned NU at almost every position...face the hard, cold facts, NU STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE TALENT OF USC-LSU-FLORIDA-OU...

Anyone who thinks that we match up physically with the top 5 programs is looking for a reason to complain about BC or Coz.....

Look at Coz's defense:

Potter: over-hyped since HS..attitude problem 1st yr...proved nothing yet

Suh: very good, but missed numerous tackles in backfield....Coz didn't miss one...and had him in the

right spot

Dixon: JUCO kid in 1st year of DI...... proved nothing yet

Turner: has potential to be stud....1st year in action

LB- Octavien is the ONLY LB who will probably be drafted in top 4 rounds (USC has at least 2 1st rd)

Grixby: hustles , under-sized

Bowman: returned early from 2 major injuries and has only played 2 good games at NU

Green: playing position number 3....not a great S

Asante: missed tackles all night....Coz had him there, but Asante missed...hype-hype-hype-hype

* Please make me understand why some of you feel that the players mentioned above should be able to

compete against an offense that will have probably 9 or the 11 players in the NFL within 2 years ?

- Yes, Coaching could and should be better, but my goodness, we still don't have the talent

" it is not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmie's and Joe's"....... Barry Switzer !!!!

My answer and as a Coach you should understand this one. The lack of developing talent is the reason for the large gap between Nebraska and the Top 5. The only way Nebraska is going to get the talent is to develop it like USC, Oklahoma, LSU and Florida have been doing.

If you take 22 five Star players out of H.S. and start them as Freshman. You will not beat USC or even come close to competing with them. If those 22 players do not get the proper coaching to develop their talent, they will still lose their senior year to a Team like USC.

HANC.

You're one of my fav. posters here.

And great topic/posts.

It used to be fun during my formative years to watch Notre Dame get top5 recruiting classes EVERY year and still lose..Talking Heads would say, "They got the least amount of production out of the most talent".

Whereas we would hardly ever get a recruiting class in the top 10 or even 25, but would get these "underachievers" and walkons to play over their heads. (And more times than not, be NFL busts, later on)...Coincidence??

I'm starting to feel with this coaching staff, not just because of the USC game, but because of the difficulty in making gametime adjustments and the repeated 3rd quarter beat downs, and consistently "Not having defenders that are able to tackle" every season...We may be turning Irish.

Pinch Me!

The miss-tackles may be attributed to not enough live scrimmaging, but seems to be a mighty common theme...Did our Defensive philosophy change that much?

See the thread about getting a "West Coast Defense"