not X's on O's

HANC

First of all, I am not a "rose-colored glasses" guy.... I am a realist and pesimist by nature..... Furthermore, as many know, I have coached football for many years..... as stated numerous times, this does NOT make my opinions right/wrong, but maybe just adds a little "different"perspective now and agian...

I for one think that BC is doing okay.....not great, but not as bad as some think..... His game plan was perfect offensively for USC (better than other games)...but once agian, I felt that in the USC environment last season, he had a great game plan that gave his team the best opportunity to win (close going into the 4th...unlike this season).....this year, I felt at home with Keller, he had to take chances and he did....

I keep reading all of this stuff about Coz and his defense..... Granted, and agreed with..... Carroll out-coached Coz up and down the field...but Carroll has down this to almost everyone..... Yes, Coz needs to re-evaluate his schemes vs certain teams, but more importantly, he needs to re-evaluate his talent....

Anyone who actually "watched" this game in depth, realizes that USC outmanned NU at almost every position...face the hard, cold facts, NU STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE TALENT OF USC-LSU-FLORIDA-OU...

Anyone who thinks that we match up physically with the top 5 programs is looking for a reason to complain about BC or Coz.....

Look at Coz's defense:

Potter: over-hyped since HS..attitude problem 1st yr...proved nothing yet

Suh: very good, but missed numerous tackles in backfield....Coz didn't miss one...and had him in the

right spot

Dixon: JUCO kid in 1st year of DI...... proved nothing yet

Turner: has potential to be stud....1st year in action

LB- Octavien is the ONLY LB who will probably be drafted in top 4 rounds (USC has at least 2 1st rd)

Grixby: hustles , under-sized

Bowman: returned early from 2 major injuries and has only played 2 good games at NU

Green: playing position number 3....not a great S

Asante: missed tackles all night....Coz had him there, but Asante missed...hype-hype-hype-hype

* Please make me understand why some of you feel that the players mentioned above should be able to

compete against an offense that will have probably 9 or the 11 players in the NFL within 2 years ?

- Yes, Coaching could and should be better, but my goodness, we still don't have the talent

" it is not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmie's and Joe's"....... Barry Switzer !!!!

I think it comes down to us as a fanbase, we hype these players up and believe that they can compete with anyone and then we are surprised at how they play against other teams. We were exposed last Saturday and now we all know how are team is really doing talent wise. I don't think the best guys are on the field for our defense. I think we all know that we have better younger guys waiting on the sidelines that would do a better job........................Culbert, Thernarse, Brandenburg, Dillard, etc.

First of all, I am not a "rose-colored glasses" guy.... I am a realist and pesimist by nature..... Furthermore, as many know, I have coached football for many years..... as stated numerous times, this does NOT make my opinions right/wrong, but maybe just adds a little "different"perspective now and agian...

I for one think that BC is doing okay.....not great, but not as bad as some think..... His game plan was perfect offensively for USC (better than other games)...but once agian, I felt that in the USC environment last season, he had a great game plan that gave his team the best opportunity to win (close going into the 4th...unlike this season).....this year, I felt at home with Keller, he had to take chances and he did....

I keep reading all of this stuff about Coz and his defense..... Granted, and agreed with..... Carroll out-coached Coz up and down the field...but Carroll has down this to almost everyone..... Yes, Coz needs to re-evaluate his schemes vs certain teams, but more importantly, he needs to re-evaluate his talent....

Anyone who actually "watched" this game in depth, realizes that USC outmanned NU at almost every position...face the hard, cold facts, NU STILL DOES NOT HAVE THE TALENT OF USC-LSU-FLORIDA-OU...

Anyone who thinks that we match up physically with the top 5 programs is looking for a reason to complain about BC or Coz.....

Look at Coz's defense:

Suh: very good, but missed numerous tackles in backfield....Coz didn't miss one...and had him in the

right spot

LB- Octavien is the ONLY LB who will probably be drafted in top 4 rounds (USC has at least 2 1st rd)

Bowman: returned early from 2 major injuries and has only played 2 good games at NU

Asante: missed tackles all night....Coz had him there, but Asante missed...hype-hype-hype-hype

* Please make me understand why some of you feel that the players mentioned above should be able to

compete against an offense that will have probably 9 or the 11 players in the NFL within 2 years ?

- Yes, Coaching could and should be better, but my goodness, we still don't have the talent

" it is not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmie's and Joe's"....... Barry Switzer !!!!

I guess our coaches can't recruit talent! And other teams with less talent that USC, OU, LSU etc, can still keep the team from scoring 35 pts in a row and limit them from running for 313 yds. And Wake rushing for 256 yds...they don't have talent. That is the larger issue. Getting destroyed! So, if our talent isn't that good then I need others to stop saying Cally is recruiting great talent.

I think it comes down to us as a fanbase, we hype these players up and believe that they can compete with anyone and then we are surprised at how they play against other teams. We were exposed last Saturday and now we all know how are team is really doing talent wise. I don't think the best guys are on the field for our defense. I think we all know that we have better younger guys waiting on the sidelines that would do a better job........................Culbert, Thernarse, Brandenburg, Dillard, etc.

I understand what you're saying Hanc....But, you have to let some of these younger players have an opportunity to play.

Look at Coz's defense:

right spot

I have to agree with you. On Saturday night after the game I was calling for Coz's head as well, but I've reconsidered my position. After seeing the OWH article this AM, I realize now that the players were in position...but they didn't make the plays. The article illustrates that we had a hand on the ball carrier with in 5 yards on all but 4 running plays. If Coz is to blame for anything it's that he doesn't have playmakers on the field. I'd sure like to see Thenarse get a shot.

I believe the D-line needs a shakeup as well. I think Suh is a beast. But the other 3 positions should be up for grabs.

As for LB'S...Brandenburgh and Dillard need to see MORE playing time.

Agreed with all post so-far except the "our coaches can't recruit talent"........

Yes, I think that Coz needs to re-evaluate who he has on the field.....I mentioned something close to that in the original post, but not maybe that "in-depth"..... Thenarse, Dillard, Culbert (back on D).... should see the field more !!!!!!!

Remember, I didn't say that the Coach's didn't need to shoulder some of the responsibility, but am just pointing out the talent gap also played into this type of game.....

As far as recruiting talent..... I said pre-season that this year should NOT BE A DEFINING YEAR FOR BC.... he has talent, but "young" talent and we do not have QUALITY-TALENTED DEPTH....

I am sorry to spoil it for a few of you guys, but 2-3 pretty good recruiting classes does not make you an immediate "power"..... it takes time....... some guys pan-out, some don't, some leave, injuries...... relax, give recruiting time to build quality depth !!!!!!!

I am glad someone mentioned the OWH article this morning...look at the missed tackles.....over-powered.....missed assignments..... all that can't be pinned DIRECTLY ON COZ..... but, yes, the coach needs to address these issues and take the responsibility to fix it.....

Agreed with all post so-far except the "our coaches can't recruit talent"........

Yes, I think that Coz needs to re-evaluate who he has on the field.....I mentioned something close to that in the original post, but not maybe that "in-depth"..... Thenarse, Dillard, Culbert (back on D).... should see the field more !!!!!!!

Remember, I didn't say that the Coach's didn't need to shoulder some of the responsibility, but am just pointing out the talent gap also played into this type of game.....

As far as recruiting talent..... I said pre-season that this year should NOT BE A DEFINING YEAR FOR BC.... he has talent, but "young" talent and we do not have QUALITY-TALENTED DEPTH....

I am sorry to spoil it for a few of you guys, but 2-3 pretty good recruiting classes does not make you an immediate "power"..... it takes time....... some guys pan-out, some don't, some leave, injuries...... relax, give recruiting time to build quality depth !!!!!!!

I am glad someone mentioned the OWH article this morning...look at the missed tackles.....over-powered.....missed assignments..... all that can't be pinned DIRECTLY ON COZ..... but, yes, the coach needs to address these issues and take the responsibility to fix it.....

missed tackles are a direct reflection of coaching. Fundamentals have to be practiced every day. Getting the kid into position is only part of it. You have to teach him to break down and bring his hands.

missed tackles are a direct reflection of coaching. Fundamentals have to be practiced every day. Getting the kid into position is only part of it. You have to teach him to break down and bring his hands.

Jason Peter was talking (on whatever his show is called that he has on 1480) and was REALLY worked up about their not practicing in full pads until now, making fun, but also hopeful that this would really help. I think that their high tackles are a direct result, as you say, of their non-padded practices. They developed some nasty habits in that situation, it seems.

Jason Peter was talking (on whatever his show is called that he has on 1480) and was REALLY worked up about their not practicing in full pads until now, making fun, but also hopeful that this would really help. I think that their high tackles are a direct result, as you say, of their non-padded practices. They developed some nasty habits in that situation, it seems.

I agree 100%. We came in ranked 3rd in the preseason my last year in college and the coaches were so afraid of anyone getting hurt that only the 2nd an-d 3rd teamers really practiced full pads and contact. Well we went from Desert Swarm to garbage with 9 returning starters. No pads and no real hitting killed us and we never really recovered.

I agree 100%. We came in ranked 3rd in the preseason my last year in college and the coaches were so afraid of anyone getting hurt that only the 2nd an-d 3rd teamers really practiced full pads and contact. Well we went from Desert Swarm to garbage with 9 returning starters. No pads and no real hitting killed us and we never really recovered.

I couldn't have said it better myself. In HS the day after we got our pads (first week) we were running contact & tackling drills. The only days we weren't in full pads were Thurs. before game days. As a result we had a skilled defense that got us into the state finals. Our coach preached fundamentals first, then defensive schemes!!! We need a coach that does the same.

Although your comments are mostly correct, it is obvious many of you haven't coached at any level....

You can teach,preach, and do nothing but practice "staying on blocks", "wrapping up", etc..... and everything looks fine in practice vs the "scout team" (possibly not as good as USC <_< ), and when you get on the field, athleticism takes over...

I will admit, I am surprised that they don't have more "full contact"..... but I have had many players go onto college and they all tell me that HS practice is much more "physical" than in college....college is a lot more technique orientated than HS.....

Sure, Bo Ruud can tackle the freshman I-back trying to be Chauncy Washington, but in game time, see what happens..

Once again, just trying to make a few understand the "true" views from the inside.....not the arm-chair or PC chair...

I have always heard that "great players make coaches look great"....... I can tell you that this is more the truth than the other way around...... Give me a "great coach" and look at his players....I bet at whatever level you are talking about you either have all-state (HS), All-Americans (NCAA) or All-Pros on that team....

100 % guaranteed !!!!

I am not saying the coaches are not at fault....... I am just tired of hearing some of these guys talk about how BC and Coz are solely to blame... and Coz has taken a group of great athletes and can't coach them.....

Everytime my team loses a game, I take it personally and feel as if it my fault.... so I believe that the coaches are feeling the heat... but common sense says the talent just isn't there yet !!!!!!