Quote from Purify

TheKiD

I think the fans should have bood themselves for being such a quiet crowd. There are times when the crowd can give the team or certain players that extra boost. When you go to a game and can still talk afterwords you did not do your job as a fan.

STAND UP AND BE FRICKIN LOUd. These are our beloved Huskers and they need us to do our part and make the enviroment as hostile as possible for visiting teams.

If you can't be loud when the team needs us, then stay the f#*k home.

I can never boo my Husker's if they're doing bad. All I can do is just watch and pray things turn around.

Yup, same thing I and thousands of other husker fans have been doing for the past three years.. finally it just got ridiculous and we voiced our distaste.

Every week of every season since Cosgrove has been here we've found an excuse as to why this part of the defense looked bad this week and while we'll be better next week... and every offseason we get our hopes up for a revamped defense.. and finally we ran out of excuses. Sure wake forest could have been the early road game jitters and looking past USC. Sure, USC was just better than us. But, wait.. Ball State, we have no excuse... and I think a lot of fans just went into shock and realized that the defense isn't going to get better and were quite pissed off about that realization.

:yeah

I am sorry but when you pay at least 60 dollars for a college game and end up watching a jv scrimmage you can boo.

No one forced you to pay anything to see the game. If you want to watch a 'jv scrimmage,' go watch the Wofford Terriers play Appalachian State. :hmmph

Think the offense is going to start pointing fingers at the defense?

Worst thing that can happen to a team.

Agreed. I think we're at a big character test juncture for the team, and it's how the team as a whole responds to this (everyone - players, coaches, etc) that will define the season. The worst thing for the team to do is start pointing fingers and assigning blame. There's nothing to do but suck it up, work hard, put your nose to the grindstone and get better.

Yes we are in very VERY dangerous territory here!!!! Either the team is going to take this to heart and character build and win some games or they are going to be fighting among themselves and tear right down the middle!!! This could get really bad..................

Agreed. I think we're at a big character test juncture for the team, and it's how the team as a whole responds to this (everyone - players, coaches, etc) that will define the season. The worst thing for the team to do is start pointing fingers and assigning blame. There's nothing to do but suck it up, work hard, put your nose to the grindstone and get better.

Yes we are in very VERY dangerous territory here!!!! Either the team is going to take this to heart and character build and win some games or they are going to be fighting among themselves and tear right down the middle!!! This could get really bad..................

Yep. The scary thing is that Callahan already has a history of losing teams. Just sayin...

Yep. The scary thing is that Callahan already has a history of losing teams. Just sayin...

I can see what you are saying, but it's obvious where the problem is.

I think the fans should have bood themselves for being such a quiet crowd. There are times when the crowd can give the team or certain players that extra boost. When you go to a game and can still talk afterwords you did not do your job as a fan.

STAND UP AND BE FRICKIN LOUd. These are our beloved Huskers and they need us to do our part and make the enviroment as hostile as possible for visiting teams.

There have been many games when I did not last into the 3rd Quarter. But I follow this same philosophy as well.

I can never boo my Husker's if they're doing bad. All I can do is just watch and pray things turn around.

Yup, same thing I and thousands of other husker fans have been doing for the past three years.. finally it just got ridiculous and we voiced our distaste.

Every week of every season since Cosgrove has been here we've found an excuse as to why this part of the defense looked bad this week and while we'll be better next week... and every offseason we get our hopes up for a revamped defense.. and finally we ran out of excuses. Sure wake forest could have been the early road game jitters and looking past USC. Sure, USC was just better than us. But, wait.. Ball State, we have no excuse... and I think a lot of fans just went into shock and realized that the defense isn't going to get better and were quite pissed off about that realization.

Some people see the booing as being disloyal, some people find it a human reaction. Seems like there's differing opinions as far as the players go.

All though it's kinda funny that a defensive player (Steve-O) is condemning the fans and an Offensive player (Purify) is saying they deserved it.

Think maybe the Offense is as frustrated with the defense as the fans are?

Your last question is a great question. Is the offense frustrated with the defense? I have no idea, but I used to coach and for a time we had a team that had a great defense (the best in our district) yet the offense could do nothing. We lost all but one game that season and never left up more than 2 touchdowns in the first three quarters of any game. But the offense did not have a scoring drive in the first four games (and perhaps 4 total in an 8 game season --- the defense actually outscored the offense that year). I was the defensive coordinator. In due couse, about 2/3 of the way through the season, the defense gave up with the hopelessness that no matter what they did the offense would screw up, turn the ball over, or, at best, do nothing. The division on the team was palpable. The offensive coordinator was pathetic and would not do anything but make excuses. Anyway, the whole team tanked because of internal strife as one unit was doing well and the other really, really poorly. In the last few games the defense gave up because to them, it was useless to bust a hump only to see the offense kill them. Of course these were not college-age athletes, but this happening to some degree in college is quite possible, even likely.

It is not like the NU offense is lighting it up, but they are producing. The defense is so badly coached, the performance so hideous that I'd imagine that the offensive players are likely close to the point where they will see a certain hoplessness in that no mattter what they do, it will not be enough.

If the coaches step up and take blame then the first step will be underway to stopping an internal problem. Based upon the interview with the coaches after the game, it does not appear that blame is being taken.

Problems of an internal nature, are inevitable.

If the coaches step up and take blame then the first step will be underway to stopping an internal problem. Based upon the interview with the coaches after the game, it does not appear that blame is being taken.

Problems of an internal nature, are inevitable.

It's hard to judge anything by what Callahan says after a game. I think he typically keeps his negative thoughts to himself and away from the press.

As for Cosgrove, there is this on the LJS site. To me he's stepping up and taking responsibility, though I don't know how much that will matter with him, heh.

So I don't really see a problem with the coaches taking responsibility.

My first thought when I read Purify's comment was - "This team has unity. A star offensive player is sharing the blame even though the problem is on the defense."

I suspect its healthy for players to challenge each other; but unhealthy for blame/accusations/ridicule to infest a team. Now its up to the highly paid coaches to anticipate and prevent any internal bickering.

I wasn't at the stadium, but I did shell out the $29.99 to watch it at home and you can believe I was booing the defense, but specifically Cosgrove and I would have done the same thing if I was at the stadium. What you all have to understand that we as fans (and believe me I am as loyal, true and real a husker fan as you will find) have few ways of voicing our opinions or displeasure in a way that will be truly noticed by the coaching staff and decision makers, so I applaud those who booed on saturday because I know most of the boos were aimed at Cosgrove and it's obvious that he's not getting the job done.

The scariest thing about Cosgrove is that he knew exactly what Ball st was all about and still can't devise a plan to stop them or even slow them down. Other fans on this board have pointed out that if it wasn't for dropped balls we would have lost this game. Some of you will say that it's the lack of athletes on D, but we have good enough athletes now to be able to hold Ball st to under 600 yards of offense. It's the lack of defensive scheme and preparation by the coaching staff that is killing us right now and something needs to be done about it because I'm sure it won't be the last time this year that our D gets torched.

There ya go!!!!!!! I agree it was too quiet Saturday. I could care less about the booiing, but if your'e going to boo you better be loud when the D- gets on the field!!! :bonez

Of course you need to be loud...but seriously, how loud do you really need to be to get the defense to stop anything besides their shadow on third and long?!? BSU 9-15 in 3rd down conversions?!? Are you kidding me?

3rd down is always when the fans get into it the most...and it didn't seem to matter at all.