Starting Defense

Washusker

If you could choose a starting lineup for the Blackshirts, what would it be?

DE - Potter (one of the few bright spots so far, but needs to get to the QB)

NT - Suh (he's been pushed around the last two weeks; needs to step it up)

DT - Brandon Johnson (Let's see what he's got)

DE - Barry Turner (almost put Pierre Allen here; Barry needs to get it going)

WLB - Major Culbert (SURPRISE!! We need speed at the LB spot, if he can put on a few lbs, let him run wild)

MLB - Phillip Dillard (Yep)

SLB - Octavien (I know switching him from Will to Sam is drastic, but such measures are required in drastic times)

CB - Anthony Blue (Murillo is ok, but I'd like to see a bit more; Jones and Grix are not start-worthy)

FS - Rickey Thenarse (Hell yes)

SS - Larry Asante (He's got one more chance...)

CB - Zack Bowman (let's hope he's healthy)

Go ahead and rip this apart. What I was looking for was enthusiasm, speed, and recklessness. I can take mistakes if they are made at 100 mph - I can't take the tentativeness I see right now.

Note - you will also see Prince Amukamara, Pierre Allen, Austin Stafford, and Blake Lawrence a lot in my defense.

If you could choose a starting lineup for the Blackshirts, what would it be?

DE - Potter (one of the few bright spots so far, but needs to get to the QB)

NT - Suh (he's been pushed around the last two weeks; needs to step it up)

DT - Brandon Johnson (Let's see what he's got)

DE - Barry Turner (almost put Pierre Allen here; Barry needs to get it going)

WLB - Major Culbert (SURPRISE!! We need speed at the LB spot, if he can put on a few lbs, let him run wild)

MLB - Phillip Dillard (Yep)

SLB - Octavien (I know switching him from Will to Sam is drastic, but such measures are required in drastic times)

CB - Anthony Blue (Jones and Grix are not start-worthy)

FS - Rickey Thenarse (Hell yes)

SS - Larry Asante (He's got one more chance...)

CB - Zack Bowman (let's hope he's healthy)

Go ahead and rip this apart. What I was looking for was enthusiasm, speed, and recklessness. I can take mistakes if they are made at 100 mph - I can't take the tentativeness I see right now.

Note - you will also see Prince Amukamara, Pierre Allen, Austin Stafford, and Blake Lawrence a lot in my defense.

I would say that Grix has done a decent job, and I would still play Ruud in passing downs. He has done well dropping into coverage and staying with TE's. Also, Bowman is always hurt so you might see Blue and Grix.

Overall it can't be worse and we are more athletic. I also dislike our lack of depth at d-line and lack of recruiting JC's to help with this. Suh plays too much as well as the rest of the line. They need more breaks to stay explosive.

I would go with a five man defensive line. I think this might help with stuffing the run as the lineman would occupy the offensive lineman, hopefully leaving our linebackers free to make plays. I would also rotate very heavily up front as well as the linebackers.

My starters.........................(backups)

DE: Octavien.......................Pierre Allen/Potter

DT: Ty Steinkuhler...............Barfield

NT: Suh...............................Johnson

DT: Potter............................Dixon

DE: Turner...........................Steinkuhler/Octavien

LB: Dillard............................Rudd/Octavien

LB: Brandenburgh.................McKeon/Octavien

CB: Bowman........................Jones

CB: Grixby...........................Murillo

S: Thenarse.........................Green/Eisenhart

S: Asante.............................Wilson/Culbert

Obviously, a lot of the personal would depend on down and distance. We would have our bigger guys and better tacklers in for running downs and more of our speed/coverage guys for passing situations.

I would go with a five man defensive line. I think this might help with stuffing the run as the lineman would occupy the offensive lineman, hopefully leaving our linebackers free to make plays. I would also rotate very heavily up front as well as the linebackers.

Obviously, a lot of the personal would depend on down and distance. We would have our bigger guys and better tacklers in for running downs and more of our speed/coverage guys for passing situations.

Interesting that you would go with the 5-2-4 defense??? Why just curious???

The 5-2-4 defense is quite interesting. However I would still go with a 4-3 base and mine would be:

DE:Turner

DT:Suh

DT:Steinkhuler by default(Dixon gives max effort about 50% of the time, I would like to see Jensen get a shot. This is the one spot on the defense that I feel is hurting us the most by far)

DE:Potter

WLB:Octavien

MIKE:Dillard

SAM:Brandenburgh(I would like to see what Washington could do with the opportunity)

CB:Bowman

CB:Murillo/Grixby(Grixby is a solid 2nd corner as long as he isnt guarding thier best/tallest WR)

FS:Thenarse(As long as he has a decent grasp on the defense he would be better than Green with full grasp)

SS:Asante(Although dissapointing so far this season I really believe he will be very good before the end of the year)

The 5-2-4 defense is quite interesting. However I would still go with a 4-3 base and mine would be:

DE:Turner

DT:Suh

DT:Steinkhuler by default(Dixon gives max effort about 50% of the time, I would like to see Jensen get a shot. This is the one spot on the defense that I feel is hurting us the most by far)

DE:Potter

WLB:Octavien

MIKE:Dillard

SAM:Brandenburgh(I would like to see what Washington could do with the opportunity)

CB:Bowman

CB:Murillo/Grixby(Grixby is a solid 2nd corner as long as he isnt guarding thier best/tallest WR)

FS:Thenarse(As long as he has a decent grasp on the defense he would be better than Green with full grasp)

SS:Asante(Although dissapointing so far this season I really believe he will be very good before the end of the year)

I like the sounds of this, although I would be highly in favor of having the Linebacking core as follows:

WILL - Culbert

MIKE - Dillard

SAM - Octavien/Brandenburgh

I would also like to see Latravis Washington and the cracker backer get some time as well. Otherwise we are starting next year with pretty much ALL brand new linebackers. Thenarse and Asante should be the safeties from now on and the next 2 years.

Potter has been easily our best player on D in my opinion. I know the D-Line has stunk it up, but at least he plays with energy and makes plays from behind once the D Line gets burned. SUH has been good as well, but I just dont feel like he is trying as hard as he should be every play.

The 5-2 will not work with our personnel. I stated on a previous post in order to have a more effective run blocking scheme we need more flow from our LB's b/c we don't have the talent on the d-line. You will just go from 4 guys to 5 guys getting blocked and unable to get off of them.

The best idea IMO is to bring Ruud off the strong side of the line standing up off the TE and shift the DE in a little to play straight up on the tackle. You then bring up the safety/Culbert to play the weak side LB. This is similar to the 5-2 but without 2 lineman. Ruud can cover well and we will still have him for this. Also, his job will be to stay outside and force the action inside to Dillard and Octavien. Culbert will help weak side with his speed and to pick up any receivers crossing underneath and backs out of the backfield.

The reason I would go to a 5-2-4 was because it seems that our front four is having trouble controling the line and is easily letting offensive lineman get to the linebackers. With a five man front, it would pretty much mean the D-lineman would go one on one with the offensive lineman and would not let them get to the second level in their blocking schemes. Thus allowing our linebackers to flow to the ball without lineman running them over. Also, notice that I put Turner and Octavien as the starting DEs. The are both very athletic and could easily drop back into coverage if need be. Obviously, on second and third and long, we would go to a more tradition four man front with five or six dbs.

The reason I would go to a 5-2-4 was because it seems that our front four is having trouble controling the line and is easily letting offensive lineman get to the linebackers. With a five man front, it would pretty much mean the D-lineman would go one on one with the offensive lineman and would not let them get to the second level in their blocking schemes. Thus allowing our linebackers to flow to the ball without lineman running them over. Also, notice that I put Turner and Octavien as the starting DEs. The are both very athletic and could easily drop back into coverage if need be. Obviously, on second and third and long, we would go to a more tradition four man front with five or six dbs.

Nice idea but it doesn't work that way. Our line is getting beat and unable to get off blocks so your scheme wont work because of the talent we have. No offense but I am guessing you haven't played defense. If you want a 5 man front the best way is to go with a similar setup as I proposed.

Tell me what changes to mine you would make. I am sure it can be improved upon and/or you might want to change it.