Corey McKeon

np_husker

I dont buy into his "feel sorry for me, for us" speech. Grow a pair. In one sentence he said "it's great to give another guy reps", but then contradicts himself with the "we shouldnt have to replace someone". And obviously he wouldnt play for any other coach. It's because he became a starter a long time ago and has been coasting since. Not earning it each week. You need to sit because you are not getting it done on the field. You had your chance and what did you do with it, while us fans supported you? Tell a joke? Get owned by an TE blocking you while the RB runs right past you? No pitty from me. You dont want to earn it, tough. Save the whine and cheese excuses. I want him to play well, but he's not facing the fact that he isnt. That's the bottom line.

And as a radio host just pointed out on the station, most everybody would PAY, would give ANYTHING, to snap the helmet back up and play again, particularly for Nebraska. You're not having FUN?!

Suck it up. You have a full ride to play at one of the top programs in the game. Everybody plays hurt. Because most people, especially me, would give anything to be in that situation.

different kids, different times. the old Huskers never would have ran their mouth looking for sympathy. just like where i work, kids want to come in, hang out, get promoted and not take time to learn the job first.

we don't owe them or these cry baby football players of today anything!

if it is too tough here, then just quit and go somewhere else where the expectations for success are much lower and it fits their comfort zone!

These guys have access to the abuse. In the past, the players couldn't see or hear you criticize their play. Now all they have to do is come to Huskerboard for some good demoralization. People don't come up to these kids and tell them they suck. They read about it here. If you wouldn't walk up to one of these players faces and say the stuff you write here, its got no business being posted. Just my opinion. Talk all you want about how bad they're playing in Scottsbluff or wherever you live. They can't hear you there.

Well in essence they can "hear it" from there right?

I dont buy into his "feel sorry for me, for us" speech. Grow a pair. In one sentence he said "it's great to give another guy reps", but then contradicts himself with the "we shouldnt have to replace someone". And obviously he wouldnt play for any other coach. It's because he became a starter a long time ago and has been coasting since. Not earning it each week. You need to sit because you are not getting it done on the field. You had your chance and what did you do with it, while us fans supported you? Tell a joke? Get owned by an TE blocking you while the RB runs right past you? No pitty from me. You dont want to earn it, tough. Save the whine and cheese excuses. I want him to play well, but he's not facing the fact that he isnt. That's the bottom line.

nice post Addison :thumbs

Here's more info about McKeon's news conference (journalstar.com). I am hugely disgusted in McKeon...

Corey McKeon speaks

Husker linebacker Corey McKeon, after a couple weeks of silence, spoke to the media at Tuesday's press conference.

McKeon said something interesting with about every answer he gave. Here's some of it:

"I talked to Coach Coz at 12:30 last night," McKeon said. "To know that my reps are getting hurt, because we got to get other guys in, kind of hurts. But you can't deny Phillip Dillard. He's a great player. You got to get him some reps. He's the future of this organization, he's going to be a stud coming back."

McKeon talked about how the fun has been taken out of football so far this year.

"It's important for this state to win, but when you get to a point when you're 3-1, you lose, your one loss -- granted, we played like garbage -- was to the No. 1 team in the country?" he said. "Then to come back the next week and pull out a win at the last second, but it's still a win, and you're being scrutinized for being 3-1? People aren't looking at it like it's just fun college football. They're looking at it like, 'They're not getting the job done and we need to find people who are.' That's business, man. That's NFL... This is college football. This isn't supposed to be a giant organization that if things aren't going you take someone out and find someone new right away. This is team. This is school spirit."

McKeon said he's tired of everyone acting like this year is going down the toilet when the team's 3-1.

"Everyone is looking at the stats and not at the team. It kind of bothers me. We're 3-1 and people are looking it like we haven't won. They're looking at us like Notre Dame, like we're 0 and 4 and just having a rebuilding year. That's not the case."

He said he wishes people would take a closer look at how hard this team is working.

"I know that this defense is coming together... We came into Ball State. We were beat up from USC. You guys, you don't see it. You don't see Tierre Green, struggling to put his pads on to go practice. YOu don't see, like his teammates, helping him pulls his jersey, his Blackshirt on, so he could put his pads on. You don't see that. And he goes out and works his butt off as hard as he can so he could prepare for Ball State... That's the stuff people don't see. People only see the game. I really, really feel sorry for people, because I wish they could see what people are going through."

McKeon said he totally supports defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove.

"Coach Coz, he put a huge smile on your face. You think you're going to go in there and get (chewed out), because you gave up 500-something yards. Defense made a lot of mistakes. People are moving the ball. It's not the normal Blackshirts. We're getting booed by our own fans. And he comes in there and goes, 'We're going to have some fun this week. We're going to work hard. We're going to have some fun in practice'. And it lifted my spirits. It lifted this weight off my shoulders, because it's exactly what I was thinking: We're not having fun, especially when you're getting your ass kicked, you're not having fun on the field."

On the topic of all the heat Cosgrove is taking, McKeon said: "If we're not doing the right thing, it makes it very difficult on the coaches. That's why it really bothers me when people point the finger at Coach Coz. All this garbage on Facebook, and on the Internet, and all the blogs, it's garbage. There's no one else I'd rather have leading the defense, hands down. I couldn't play for anyone else, to be honest with you. The way he coaches, we're going to get back on track. I'm not worried. Not worried."

Later, Husker coach Bill Callahan said of Cosgrove: "He's got my full support."

replies to this post are on fire! i hope he reads them all and gets the message. absolutely embarassing comments.

if he played for charlie weiss he would be running laps right now.

why are you disgusted in McKeon?

He was just being honest and telling it like it is and for that I am proud of him. I got his back. You should too.

If playing football for the University of Nebraska is such a burden, he should quit the team!

Can you imagine anyone from Osborne's teams or even Solich's teams talking like that? I sure can't.

I take it you never got to know any of these players personally

He was just being honest and telling it like it is and for that I am proud of him. I got his back. You should too.

If playing football for the University of Nebraska is such a burden, he should quit the team!

Can you imagine anyone from Osborne's teams or even Solich's teams talking like that? I sure can't.

you don't have to get that close to see the attitude, it reads pretty simple if you understand English.

These guys have access to the abuse. In the past, the players couldn't see or hear you criticize their play. Now all they have to do is come to Huskerboard for some good demoralization. People don't come up to these kids and tell them they suck. They read about it here. If you wouldn't walk up to one of these players faces and say the stuff you write here, its got no business being posted. Just my opinion. Talk all you want about how bad they're playing in Scottsbluff or wherever you live. They can't hear you there.

I'm saying that its one thing to sit in a bar and talk about how bad they're playing but something else to post it where the players can see it. Everyone blames these kids for not being able to handle the pressure like in the past. Well the pressure now is more than ever. Because of message boards and unreasonable expectations.

Players in the past may have had low energy from time to time and maybe even got to feeling down, but they sure didn't stand in front of a mic and feel sorry for themselves.

Now it just sounds like he is feeling sorry for himself. Sorry Corey, do you want me to be all rah rah, go get em tiger, ah shucks. Sounds like that is what Coz does. I think we all saw how that played out over at ISU with McCarney, maybe you should go play for USF then.

Now for my pep talk: News flash Corey, GIVING UP 618 YDS A GAME ISNT FUN AND SHOULDNT BE FUN!!! Get pissed, grow some heart and if you can't grow any heart, go out there this weekend and rip someone elses OUT. Go get em tiger!!!

I'm saying that its one thing to sit in a bar and talk about how bad they're playing but something else to post it where the players can see it. Everyone blames these kids for not being able to handle the pressure like in the past. Well the pressure now is more than ever. Because of message boards and unreasonable expectations.

Too bad. Dont fall for that trap. Feel sorry for him b/c the truth might hurt his feelings? Hell no. Is reducing 610 yards to 400 unreasonable? And last I checked, tackling is NOT an option. Give me a break.

Here's more info about McKeon's news conference (journalstar.com). I am hugely disgusted in McKeon...

Corey McKeon speaks

Husker linebacker Corey McKeon, after a couple weeks of silence, spoke to the media at Tuesday's press conference.

McKeon said something interesting with about every answer he gave. Here's some of it:

"I talked to Coach Coz at 12:30 last night," McKeon said. "To know that my reps are getting hurt, because we got to get other guys in, kind of hurts. But you can't deny Phillip Dillard. He's a great player. You got to get him some reps. He's the future of this organization, he's going to be a stud coming back."

McKeon talked about how the fun has been taken out of football so far this year.

"It's important for this state to win, but when you get to a point when you're 3-1, you lose, your one loss -- granted, we played like garbage -- was to the No. 1 team in the country?" he said. "Then to come back the next week and pull out a win at the last second, but it's still a win, and you're being scrutinized for being 3-1? People aren't looking at it like it's just fun college football. They're looking at it like, 'They're not getting the job done and we need to find people who are.' That's business, man. That's NFL... This is college football. This isn't supposed to be a giant organization that if things aren't going you take someone out and find someone new right away. This is team. This is school spirit."

McKeon said he's tired of everyone acting like this year is going down the toilet when the team's 3-1.

"Everyone is looking at the stats and not at the team. It kind of bothers me. We're 3-1 and people are looking it like we haven't won. They're looking at us like Notre Dame, like we're 0 and 4 and just having a rebuilding year. That's not the case."

He said he wishes people would take a closer look at how hard this team is working.

"I know that this defense is coming together... We came into Ball State. We were beat up from USC. You guys, you don't see it. You don't see Tierre Green, struggling to put his pads on to go practice. YOu don't see, like his teammates, helping him pulls his jersey, his Blackshirt on, so he could put his pads on. You don't see that. And he goes out and works his butt off as hard as he can so he could prepare for Ball State... That's the stuff people don't see. People only see the game. I really, really feel sorry for people, because I wish they could see what people are going through."

McKeon said he totally supports defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove.

"Coach Coz, he put a huge smile on your face. You think you're going to go in there and get (chewed out), because you gave up 500-something yards. Defense made a lot of mistakes. People are moving the ball. It's not the normal Blackshirts. We're getting booed by our own fans. And he comes in there and goes, 'We're going to have some fun this week. We're going to work hard. We're going to have some fun in practice'. And it lifted my spirits. It lifted this weight off my shoulders, because it's exactly what I was thinking: We're not having fun, especially when you're getting your ass kicked, you're not having fun on the field."

On the topic of all the heat Cosgrove is taking, McKeon said: "If we're not doing the right thing, it makes it very difficult on the coaches. That's why it really bothers me when people point the finger at Coach Coz. All this garbage on Facebook, and on the Internet, and all the blogs, it's garbage. There's no one else I'd rather have leading the defense, hands down. I couldn't play for anyone else, to be honest with you. The way he coaches, we're going to get back on track. I'm not worried. Not worried."

Later, Husker coach Bill Callahan said of Cosgrove: "He's got my full support."

Honestly, Corey is right. We fans take this way too serious, as if it is our reputation that is on the line if NU looks bad. He has some really great points. NU football is college football. It should be fun. I am guilty of taking it too seriously and need adjust my attitude. NU is 3-1 and is being beat to death by their own fans. It must be difficult for these kids who are trying their best.

His interview was heartfelt and reflects a young man who is seemingly asking the fan base "why are you guys dogging us, we are working our butts off and are 3-1."

I am guilty of getting too much down on the coaches. I have not, at all, gotten down on the players. But still, Corey is right. Lets shut up with the complaints and doom and gloom (me included) and back this team with nothing but cheers (no boos) win or lose.

We are contributing to robbing the fun out of what otherwise should be fun. College football and the Big Red.

Support our troops (our players).

i thought the team and the players set the goals and expectations? could be wrong though??