Impact on Recruiting

robsker

My nephew was hanging out on Huskerpedia (I think that was the one) back while he was being recruited.

Mainly because he was a Fan.

Recruits probably expect this kind of behavior on these boards, but I imagine one of the things that impresses recruits most (that maybe separates us from most other teams) IS the classy fans in the stands..

And the "Family atmosphere" or how they see themselves fitting in.

..then again

Players that think they're good enough to play right away might see oppertunities on our Defense.

^

Tell that to AJ Wallace.

IIRC, there was a recruit who did not go to FSU this year based on alot of things moderators from a message board were saying about him. None of which were pleasant.

That is different than us talking about the team. I can understand if there are personal attacks on the actual recruits.

This reverberates with the entire school. When your program cannot even show respect to a recruit, how do you think they would feel about fan support? Heck, how do you think they feel about fan support when they come to a site seeing vicious attacks (some personal) being thrown at players and coaches? Why the heck would you want to play for a school whose fans will be all over you one week, putting you up on a pedestal, only to be thrown into the depths of heck the next week?

The one thing we used to pride ourselves on was the fact we supported our players regardless. We try to tell them they need to stick together and believe in each other -- when infact, we as fans cannot even stick together, nor even believe in our players or coaches. It's really sad.

^

Tell that to AJ Wallace.

IIRC, there was a recruit who did not go to FSU this year based on alot of things moderators from a message board were saying about him. None of which were pleasant.

That is different than us talking about the team. I can understand if there are personal attacks on the actual recruits.

Here we have personal attacks on actual players.

Mentioned on another post was the term classy. It is possible to post re: concerns and things that need improvement in a classy manner, without swearing, without insulting and personally impugning individuals.

^

Tell that to AJ Wallace.

This reverberates with the entire school. When your program cannot even show respect to a recruit, how do you think they would feel about fan support? Heck, how do you think they feel about fan support when they come to a site seeing vicious attacks (some personal) being thrown at players and coaches? Why the heck would you want to play for a school whose fans will be all over you one week, putting you up on a pedestal, only to be thrown into the depths of heck the next week?

The one thing we used to pride ourselves on was the fact we supported our players regardless. We try to tell them they need to stick together and believe in each other -- when infact, we as fans cannot even stick together, nor even believe in our players or coaches. It's really sad.

Bigwillie --- you have hit the nail on the head. Why do you suppose that others are not seeing this?

I think it would be unfortunate for a recruit let internet message boards play any role in his decision to attend a school. If anything, that should be 100th out of 100 on the list of "Why I want/don't want to attend this school." Although personal attacks on players/recruits/coaches are stupid and childish, it really shouldn't play any role in a recruit's decision. If does, I'm not sure I'd want them at Nebraska anyway.

As for standard criticism, if you don't perform on the field, you're going to get criticized. There are expectations that come with playing at a high level. It's that simple.

I think it would be unfortunate for a recruit let internet message boards play any role in his decision to attend a school. If anything, that should be 100th out of 100 on the list of "Why I want/don't want to attend this school." Although personal attacks on players/recruits/coaches are stupid and childish, it really shouldn't play any role in a recruit's decision. If does, I'm not sure I'd want them at Nebraska anyway.

As for standard criticism, if you don't perform on the field, you're going to get criticized. There are expectations that come with playing at a high level. It's that simple.

It's probably not even the criticism that matters.

Coaches from other schools are telling these guys that our coaches wont be around much longer.

A prevailing number of our posts might tend to make a recruit believe this is confirmation.

We'll loose all the dumb ones with 4.3 speed :madash..Not that any of our recruits are non-qualifiers.