Will a huge $$ buyout prevent Callahan's firing after this season?

Will $$$ come into play when Cally lays a goose egg and needs the pink slip, or are we stuck with the guy for the next half-decade because we don't have the jack to pay him off?

Well, considering Callahan has yet to lay a goose egg, I'd consider this post to be ill-timed and illogically formed, at best.

I guess the question we should be posing to you is why you want to see the 'Huskers do so bad that they fire their coach? Unless you've got a personal grudge/vendetta against the coaches and AD, you shouldn't be hoping they tank.

And if you're thinking that firing Callahan is going to magically fix things...well, perhaps you need to go get some more of that wonderful TexAss education they've got down here and learn some football. :rant

EXCELLENT post!! Maybe you could pass that along to Stevie P. I don't blame him for firing Frank but, it sure would have been GREAT if he'd had a freaking plan!!!! Instead, after he gets turned down by God only knows how many people he finally gets a guy who needs a job and comes on TV with his BS painted on smile and tries to tell everyone what a great day it is and how we're saved. BULL sh#t!!!! He blew it from the get go.

I am assuming you need to learn football also since you want to criticize someone for asking if Cally's extension will keep him from getting fired anytime soon. Don't attack someone else's ability to understand the game unless they call Lucky a center and Keller a linebacker.

No--it's apparent you and your friend have no time to learn anything about football since you're busy spewing venom and focusing on your anti-Bill Callahan slant.

Your ignorance is what is bringing this program down, bottom line. Do the rest of 'Husker Nation a favor and go root for someone else--you have no idea what it is to be a Nebraska fan, and people like yourself that don't want to see our kids succeed are some of the lowest scum on God's green Earth.

I hear Colorado could use a few fans like yourself...

You have no idea who you are talking to and how much I understand this game. Do your homework about me before you talk about me. Ever wear shoulder pads outside of 8 man ball?

I want us to win every game...you don't know anything about my views.

You're right--I don't know you from Adam or Eve (or Steve, if that's the way you go). All I have to go on is the tripe that you and your cohorts have been spreading around as of late.

I guess you reap what you sow...

Will $$$ come into play when Cally lays a goose egg and needs the pink slip, or are we stuck with the guy for the next half-decade because we don't have the jack to pay him off?

Well, considering Callahan has yet to lay a goose egg, I'd consider this post to be ill-timed and illogically formed, at best.

I guess the question we should be posing to you is why you want to see the 'Huskers do so bad that they fire their coach? Unless you've got a personal grudge/vendetta against the coaches and AD, you shouldn't be hoping they tank.

And if you're thinking that firing Callahan is going to magically fix things...well, perhaps you need to go get some more of that wonderful TexAss education they've got down here and learn some football. :rant

I am assuming you need to learn football also since you want to criticize someone for asking if Cally's extension will keep him from getting fired anytime soon. Don't attack someone else's ability to understand the game unless they call Lucky a center and Keller a linebacker.

No--it's apparent you and your friend have no time to learn anything about football since you're busy spewing venom and focusing on your anti-Bill Callahan slant.

Your ignorance is what is bringing this program down, bottom line. Do the rest of 'Husker Nation a favor and go root for someone else--you have no idea what it is to be a Nebraska fan, and people like yourself that don't want to see our kids succeed are some of the lowest scum on God's green Earth.

I hear Colorado could use a few fans like yourself...

You have no idea who you are talking to and how much I understand this game. Do your homework about me before you talk about me. Ever wear shoulder pads outside of 8 man ball?

I want us to win every game...you don't know anything about my views.

You're right--I don't know you from Adam or Eve (or Steve, if that's the way you go). All I have to go on is the tripe that you and your cohorts have been spreading around as of late.

I guess you reap what you sow...

EXCELLENT post!! Maybe you could pass that along to Stevie P. I don't blame him for firing Frank but, it sure would have been GREAT if he'd had a freaking plan!!!! Instead, after he gets turned down by God only knows how many people he finally gets a guy who needs a job and comes on TV with his BS painted on smile and tries to tell everyone what a great day it is and how we're saved. BULL sh#t!!!! He blew it from the get go.

Sorry I put this in the wrong spot earlier.

Honestly this is ridiculous.

Ok I am not for firing Callahan, though the only aspect of coaching that he has impressed me with is his recruiting. In the long term I don't see him staying here, mainly because I don't think he is a Nebraska kind of guy, the fans have never been fully behind him, and I think he'll jump for the NFL if he ever gets the chance. In the short term it would have a terrible effect on our team to fire him right now. We need to give him a bit longer- a revolving door of coaches has never helped a large program- but we can't go on forever being satisfied with 9-5 records either. I say give him 2-3 more years.

However, to say that anyone who suggests firing Callahan or Cosgrove is just totally wrong and they are ignorant and they don't understand the situation is infuriating. Such condescending remarks don't help anything. This is an issue upon which reasonable minds may differ. I THINK keeping Callahan aboard would help the team, but who knows? What if we brought in some Urban Meyer miracle worker and we win the national championship next year? Is it likely to happen? No. Could it happen? Possibly. Does anyone KNOW what would happen if we fired Callahan? No.

Honestly this is ridiculous.

Ok I am not for firing Callahan, though the only aspect of coaching that he has impressed me with is his recruiting. In the long term I don't see him staying here, mainly because I don't think he is a Nebraska kind of guy, the fans have never been fully behind him, and I think he'll jump for the NFL if he ever gets the chance. In the short term it would have a terrible effect on our team to fire him right now. We need to give him a bit longer- a revolving door of coaches has never helped a large program- but we can't go on forever being satisfied with 9-5 records either. I say give him 2-3 more years.

However, to say that anyone who suggests firing Callahan or Cosgrove is just totally wrong and they are ignorant and they don't understand the situation is infuriating. Such condecending remarks don't help anything. This is an issue upon which reasonable minds may differ. I THINK keeping Callahan aboard would help the team, but who knows? What if we brought in some Urban Meyer miracle worker and we win the national championship next year? Is it likely to happen? No. Could it happen? Possibly. Does anyone KNOW what would happen if we fired Callahan? No.

Coz needs to get fired and that isn't debatable. The thing is I believed Cally was the wrong guy for the job and I wish I was wrong but the evidence supports my views to this point. I think b/c of the extension he will get 2 more years and if he doesn't show drastic improvement he is gone. I have had the belief he was the wrong guy and I have never understood why so many people argue he is the wrong guy. Nothing supports that except he gets some good OFFENSIVE recruits and we NEED defensive players. And somehow he turns them into AVERAGE college players. Not sure that is a ringing endorsement for his recruiting.

Coz needs to get fired and that isn't debatable. The thing is I believed Cally was the wrong guy for the job and I wish I was wrong but the evidence supports my views to this point. I think b/c of the extension he will get 2 more years and if he doesn't show drastic improvement he is gone. I have had the belief he was the wrong guy and I have never understood why so many people argue he is the wrong guy. Nothing supports that except he gets some good OFFENSIVE recruits and we NEED defensive players. And somehow he turns them into AVERAGE college players. Not sure that is a ringing endorsement for his recruiting.

I think Coz needs to go- I've been saying that for a while. What has he done to impress?

I also agree that somehow Callahan takes top-notch recruits and turns them into mediocre players. I have no idea how that happens or why, but it does. I'm just saying that he does bring top-notch athletes to NU. You have to give him that much.

My main point to my last post was that nobody can speak from a position of authority about the future. Everyone has theories as to what might happen and even if it's backed up by history, stats, etc. it might not happen. To say that you are correct and everyone else is stupid and if they disagree with you then they don't understand is both arrogant and close-minded.

Ya know I like to think that husker fans are some of the most knowledgable fans in America, but reading some posts on here make me think that we have some of the dumbest. Great thinking fire Callahan. Are you serious? No he hasnt made any strides since hes been here, he hasnt formed a quick strike, potent offense, he doesnt recruit better than we have seen in a long long time, he hasnt said numerous times that nebraska is where he wants to finish out his career. All that keeps getting said is oh he will leave. What gives anyone that impression? Because he used to coach in the NFL? So did Carrol, you see him jumping ship after he gets and offer, I am sure he has had plenty. Its been four damn years and people want to fire him? Honestly for what? Bringing in a completely new offense and better athletes by far all around the team? All that is ever stated is oh I just dont think he is the guy to lead us there. If you listened to 1620 and heard Jerry Murtaugh talk yesterday you would have noticed that he said people were calling for Devaneys head after they had two 6-4 seasons. TWO 6-4 SEASONS!! Wow that would have worked out well if we fired him wouldnt it have!!?? How many years did it take Osborned to start winning national championships? Ya everyone knows he was one of the greatest coaches of all time because of what he did the last five years of his career, what about the first 20? Man maybe we should have fired him, that would have gotten us places. Really if anyone can answer me what Callahan has done to even mentioned getting fired I would like to know. I'm sorry we cant have Urban Meyer where there are some of the best athletes in the nation right in his back yard that he can hand pick, same goes for Pete Carrol, same goes for Nick Saban, same goes for Mack Brown. He hasnt even completed his fourth year and people want to fire him for what? I am really getting sick of this discussion, bc people are so freakin dumb about what they are saying. At least back up your statement of fire callahan. I think people would have a better argument if they say fire coz but even then I dont think we can say that. The kids are playing with no fire, missing tackles, blowing assignments. I watched the game on saturday and he played damn near everyone he could and they all kept missing tackles. What do you do if youre the coach, bc you cant put anyone else in. For all the freakin pros on here, back up your statement with some value and some thought or keep your freakin mouth shut.

Ya know I like to think that husker fans are some of the most knowledgable fans in America, but reading some posts on here make me think that we have some of the dumbest. Great thinking fire Callahan. Are you serious? No he hasnt made any strides since hes been here, he hasnt formed a quick strike, potent offense, he doesnt recruit better than we have seen in a long long time, he hasnt said numerous times that nebraska is where he wants to finish out his career. All that keeps getting said is oh he will leave. What gives anyone that impression? Because he used to coach in the NFL? So did Carrol, you see him jumping ship after he gets and offer, I am sure he has had plenty. Its been four damn years and people want to fire him? Honestly for what? Bringing in a completely new offense and better athletes by far all around the team? All that is ever stated is oh I just dont think he is the guy to lead us there. If you listened to 1620 and heard Jerry Murtaugh talk yesterday you would have noticed that he said people were calling for Devaneys head after they had two 6-4 seasons. TWO 6-4 SEASONS!! Wow that would have worked out well if we fired him wouldnt it have!!?? How many years did it take Osborned to start winning national championships? Ya everyone knows he was one of the greatest coaches of all time because of what he did the last five years of his career, what about the first 20? Man maybe we should have fired him, that would have gotten us places. Really if anyone can answer me what Callahan has done to even mentioned getting fired I would like to know. I'm sorry we cant have Urban Meyer where there are some of the best athletes in the nation right in his back yard that he can hand pick, same goes for Pete Carrol, same goes for Nick Saban, same goes for Mack Brown. He hasnt even completed his fourth year and people want to fire him for what? I am really getting sick of this discussion, bc people are so freakin dumb about what they are saying. At least back up your statement of fire callahan. I think people would have a better argument if they say fire coz but even then I dont think we can say that. The kids are playing with no fire, missing tackles, blowing assignments. I watched the game on saturday and he played damn near everyone he could and they all kept missing tackles. What do you do if youre the coach, bc you cant put anyone else in. For all the freakin pros on here, back up your statement with some value and some thought or keep your freakin mouth shut.

Well you are comparing Devaney and 2007 great work...and way to use Carrol as an example a guy who has 3 NC's. And I think Cally is the wrong coach but will be here 2 more years. I only want him fired because I think him as a coach is just mediocrity not because he did anything to deserve it. I only have the website to spark debate. Some of us just want to stop losing 4-5 games a year and finish outside of the top 25....and to stop getting embarrassed like the last 2 weeks.

My guess, and I could be wrong, you have never played, coached or studied football. Not that you don't have a right to your opinions because you definitely do but you would understand the opinions of others better. There has been endless amounts of data showing the offensive struggles and the defensive failings. Also, there have been citations of other coaches who have made a similar situation work. And if you want to argue that Cally coaches the offense, well then explain to me why people like Brain Billick and John Gruden are considered offensive geniuses and yet they won super bowls with defense? Because a head coach is responsible for the entire team!

Allow me to clarify a few things:

1. No man is a bigger Nebraska fan than me.

2. Callahan will lose a minimum of 4 games per year from now on. Mark that one down. And if you want to bet a stack of Omaha steaks on it, I'm in for all comers.

3. Just because your coach sucks doesn't mean you keep him "because we can't get anyone better." Balony. This is Nebraska.

4. I'm all about patience. But patience with progress. Winning the Big 12 North last year when there was no other legitimate team means zilcho. It's not that much better this year, but KSU and Mizzoo are improving, and of course, that means we WILL NOT win the north under any circumstance.

5. You Callahan supporters are brainwashed - hook, line, and sinker. You've come to accept mediocrity, which is what we were trying to avoid when we canned the .750 coach.

Allow me to clarify a few things:

1. No man is a bigger Nebraska fan than me.

2. Callahan will lose a minimum of 4 games per year from now on. Mark that one down. And if you want to bet a stack of Omaha steaks on it, I'm in for all comers.

3. Just because your coach sucks doesn't mean you keep him "because we can't get anyone better." Balony. This is Nebraska.

4. I'm all about patience. But patience with progress. Winning the Big 12 North last year when there was no other legitimate team means zilcho. It's not that much better this year, but KSU and Mizzoo are improving, and of course, that means we WILL NOT win the north under any circumstance.

5. You Callahan supporters are brainwashed - hook, line, and sinker. You've come to accept mediocrity, which is what we were trying to avoid when we canned the .750 coach.

Thank you! It is amazing what people are accepting and passing off as progress and how they think we will be successful in the future. There is nothing to the contrary of what you are saying. And NOBODY will give any evidence to support an opposing view.

I think Coz needs to go- I've been saying that for a while. What has he done to impress?

I also agree that somehow Callahan takes top-notch recruits and turns them into mediocre players. I have no idea how that happens or why, but it does. I'm just saying that he does bring top-notch athletes to NU. You have to give him that much.

My main point to my last post was that nobody can speak from a position of authority about the future. Everyone has theories as to what might happen and even if it's backed up by history, stats, etc. it might not happen. To say that you are correct and everyone else is stupid and if they disagree with you then they don't understand is both arrogant and close-minded.

What you fail to understand is that it's really hard to be humble when you're perfect.

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I was also making a reference to Carrol be he has the opportunity to pick from some of the best athletes in the nation right from California, he mainly doesnt even have to go outside of his own state to recruit. The same goes for Florida and the same goes for Texas. How many times can we just say ok we arent going to recruit outside of Nebraska? For your information I have been playing football since I could walk and been watching/studying football for quite a while as well. You say that i would understand the opinions of others better? What opinons the ones that have no backup or sense to them at all? I want him fired...why.....I dont know he is not a good coach i dont like him....good thought process. What stats are you going by? This years stats, last years, his first year? Are you even taking into account the progress they have made over the last four years? What are our offensive rankings this year? I would imagine they are pretty good. Also name me one situation where a coach came into a program with very very few talented players and totally changed the offense and made it work to a conference or national championship in less than four years. I am not talking about taking an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time and change it to 50% of the time rather an offense that goes from running a completely different offense. Brian Billick? First of all the one super bowl he won his offense sucked!!! Second a monkey could have won the super bowl with the talent he had on defense. Embarrased, are you talking about the beatings we took from Penn st. Iowa st. K-St, colorado, texas, missouri before callahan got here. ya I guess youre right its best to lose by 40 and not recruit the best talent in the nation, lets stick to Iowa and Nebraska. I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Uhhh hummm. Well, I don't know about studying football, but I know someone who could use a little refresher in grammar.

:thumbs

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I was also making a reference to Carrol be he has the opportunity to pick from some of the best athletes in the nation right from California, he mainly doesnt even have to go outside of his own state to recruit. The same goes for Florida and the same goes for Texas. How many times can we just say ok we arent going to recruit outside of Nebraska? For your information I have been playing football since I could walk and been watching/studying football for quite a while as well. You say that i would understand the opinions of others better? What opinons the ones that have no backup or sense to them at all? I want him fired...why.....I dont know he is not a good coach i dont like him....good thought process. What stats are you going by? This years stats, last years, his first year? Are you even taking into account the progress they have made over the last four years? What are our offensive rankings this year? I would imagine they are pretty good. Also name me one situation where a coach came into a program with very very few talented players and totally changed the offense and made it work to a conference or national championship in less than four years. I am not talking about taking an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time and change it to 50% of the time rather an offense that goes from running a completely different offense. Brian Billick? First of all the one super bowl he won his offense sucked!!! Second a monkey could have won the super bowl with the talent he had on defense. Embarrased, are you talking about the beatings we took from Penn st. Iowa st. K-St, colorado, texas, missouri before callahan got here. ya I guess youre right its best to lose by 40 and not recruit the best talent in the nation, lets stick to Iowa and Nebraska. I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Well you are off base because I have given endless stats and examples of Cally mis-guiding this team.

I played QB at AZ during the 90's, coached there, coach as ass. OC at a DII school and coached QB clinics at ASU for people like SAM KELLER!!!

Comparing Devaney stats of any kind or even TO stats is pointless. And Devaney turned it around quicker. BC has only improved our passing game, every other offensive area is worse. Our record isn't better which matters most and our defense is non-existent. I want him fired so we don't delay the inevitable and we try to move beyond this crap sooner rather than later. I have a lot of stats on this board. LOOK AROUND!

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Uhhh hummm. Well, I don't know about studying football, but I know someone who could use a little refresher in grammar.

:thumbs

The way people on this board write I think many of them are former football players. :)