Will a huge $$ buyout prevent Callahan's firing after this season?

Well if the coaches have half a clue this kids won't be reading them. I never read them and coaches stressed not to read them, listen to the radio or read the sports section about us.

I can't imagine why any player would get a benefit out of reading this.

And any recruit will find the same types of things on any message board for any team except USC LSU and OU.

#1) Because they're also FANS and dream about playing for particular teams long before they get recruited.

#2) Haven't seen many LSU bbs sites this year, but the one I saw a couple years ago made this one look cordial..Same with OU and USC that I've seen so far this year...just not near the traffic.

Any opinions on Dick Tomey?

How responsible was he for UA's "Desert Swarm" defense?

Think he's accept a DC offer?

He is Head Coach at San Jose St and took them to a bowl game last year after they were winless 2 years prior. Ellerson was the d-coordinator and responsible for the defense mostly.

When I was there we were still really good and finished 3rd or 4th in the country depending on the poll. I was part of the 98 Holiday Bowl team......sorry. The perks were awesome. Free Nike stuff every week, clothes, walkmans, playstations and games, per diem cash on bowl trips, TV's, watches, jackets, etc. All above board. Not to mention free food and drinks, Met-Rx and everyone at the bars kissed your a$$ so you got free drinks and skipped every line.

Most message boards have angry fans on them and when a team struggles they have even more. We had a lot of media coverage when I was there b/c we played so well, had really big games against Ohio St, Penn St and NU, and we also were in contention for our first Rose Bowl in school history. Now they are basically ignored but when I was there it was more coverage the NU is seeing now.

He is Head Coach at San Jose St and took them to a bowl game last year after they were winless 2 years prior. Ellerson was the d-coordinator and responsible for the defense mostly.

When I was there we were still really good and finished 3rd or 4th in the country depending on the poll. I was part of the 98 Holiday Bowl team......sorry. The perks were awesome. Free Nike stuff every week, clothes, walkmans, playstations and games, per diem cash on bowl trips, TV's, watches, jackets, etc. All above board. Not to mention free food and drinks, Met-Rx and everyone at the bars kissed your a$$ so you got free drinks and skipped every line.

Most message boards have angry fans on them and when a team struggles they have even more. We had a lot of media coverage when I was there b/c we played so well, had really big games against Ohio St, Penn St and NU, and we also were in contention for our first Rose Bowl in school history. Now they are basically ignored but when I was there it was more coverage the NU is seeing now.

Still curious how you became a Husker fan...Did you get to play against us in the Holiday Bowl?

And is this the DC you were talking about? http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports_i...mp;cat_sport=39 Ellerson2006.jpg

Rich Ellerson

7th year • Hawaii '77

41-27 at Cal Poly (six years)

45-34 overall (seven years)

Two Great West Football Conference championships, an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) playoff berth and 33 wins in the last 47 games. That is the kind of success head coach Rich Ellerson has engineered in six seasons at Cal Poly, guiding the Mustangs to four consecutive winning campaigns for the first time since Joe Harper coached Cal Poly to 13 above-.500 seasons in a row from 1968-80.

Ellerson’s 2006 team finished 7-4, claimed third place in the Great West Football Conference, beat a Division I-A team for the second time in four years and ended up perhaps just a few key plays shy of its second straight NCAA Division I-AA playoff berth.

Linebacker Kyle Shotwell became the third Mustang in as many years to win the Buck Buchanan Award, which goes to the Defensive Player of the Year in the Football Championship Subdivision, and was the fourth Mustang in 53 years to play in the East-West Shrine Game. James Noble became the first running back in Cal Poly history to rush for over 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons, Chris White was the fourth Mustang in as many years to land a spot on the American Football Coaches Association All-America Team.

The Mustang defense posted three shutouts as the team finished ranked No. 16 in the nation by The Sports Network. A dozen Mustangs earned All-Great West honors and three were All-Americans. Cornerback Courtney Brown was selected in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys, Shotwell signed a free-agent contract with the Oakland Raiders and Kenny Chicoine broke the school career interception record.

The 2005 squad finished 9-4 and was Cal Poly's first team in 12 tries to earn a berth in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, reaching the quarterfinal round before falling at Texas State. The Mustangs won four of five games against Big Sky Conference schools, the most in school history, and went 6-0 at home. Defensive end Chris Gocong won the Buck Buchanan Award. He also was the third Mustang ever to play in the East-West Shrine Game. Gocong was named to the AFCA All-America Team, following David Richardson in 2003 and Jordan Beck in 2004.

Both Beck (Falcons, 2005) and Gocong (Eagles, 2006) were chosen in the third round of the NFL Draft, Cal Poly's highest picks ever.

A total of 17 Mustangs were named to the 2005 All-Great West first or second teams and six earned All-America honors. Ellerson himself was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson Award presented to the Division I-AA Coach of the Year.

Ellerson was hired on Dec. 6, 2000 as Cal Poly's 15th head football coach after serving as the defensive coordinator at the University of Arizona from 1997-2000. With the hunger and passion for a solid defensive unit, Ellerson has successfully carried over his passion for the defensive side of the ball to the players, coaches and all of those associated with the Mustang football program.

The offense also has improved tremendously as evidenced by the balance exhibited three years ago -- 184 yards on the ground and 183 through the air -- and the 9-2 mark posted by the 2004 squad.

The 2004 Mustangs went 4-1 for the inaugural Great West championship and won their first seven games overall en route to the most wins in seven years and a national ranking as high as No. 5. Numerous players earned postseason awards, including Beck, one of nine Mustangs named to the All-Great West first or second teams.

Cal Poly was 6-5 in Ellerson’s first year (2001), giving the Mustangs their first winning season since 1997. Cal Poly also improved on the 2000 defense that ranked near the bottom of I-AA with 279 yards rushing per game allowed. In 2001, the Mustangs finished the regular season ranked 26th in Division I-AA with just 122.6 yards rushing per game allowed. Cal Poly's pass defense was just as stingy, allowing only 213.0 yards passing per game.

Using the same “swarm” defense Ellerson had installed at Arizona, the Cal Poly defense caused havoc for opposing offenses all season as Cal Poly finished the regular season ranked sixth nationally in turnover margin at 1.6 per game. The Mustangs owned a +13 give-away, take-away margin as the Mustangs forced 30 turnovers while giving up just 17.

In 2002, Cal Poly faced a challenging schedule with a pair of Division I-A opponents and four Big Sky Conference members. The Mustangs slipped to 3-8 for the fourth time in five years, but won three of their final six games after an 0-5 start, including a last-second 28-26 win over Weber State in the season finale. Four of the losses occurred in games not decided until the final moments.

Two Mustang seniors went on to play in the Paradise Bowl -- cornerback Vaughn Jarrett and offensive tackle Brett Nichols. Three Mustangs earned All-NCAA Division I-AA Independents first-team honors -- Jarrett, defensive end Isaac Dixon and Beck -- while six others were named to the second team.

Cal Poly returned to the winning side of things in 2003 -- a 7-4 mark, national rankings as high as No. 14 midway through the season and a playoff drive that ended on the penultimate weekend as Idaho State rallied late for a 38-31 victory in Mustang Stadium.

Darrell Jones was eighth in the nation in punt returns while quarterback Chris Peterson was 10th in passing efficiency. Beck was a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award and Richardson was Cal Poly’s first AFCA Division I-AA All-America Team honoree.

Ellerson, named NCAA Division I-AA Independents Coach of the Year in 2003 and a year later honored as Great West Football Conference Coach of the Year as well as AFCA Region 5 Coach of the Year, brought 22 years of coaching experience with him to San Luis Obispo, including a one-year head coaching stint at Southern Utah in 1996, where his Thunderbirds were the top rushing team in the nation (I-AA).

While he has enjoyed great success at several I-A and I-AA programs, Ellerson, who has also coached in the Canadian Football League, basked in much success at the University of Arizona, where he was a top defensive assistant for eight seasons.

In 2000, Ellerson's last season with the Wildcats, Arizona again led the Pac-10 and finished the regular season ranked eighth in the nation in rushing defense, allowing just 88.5 yards per game. The Wildcats also ranked second in the league in total defense (317.5 yards per game and turnovers gained with 33. Arizona concluded the year 5-6 under coach Dick Tomey, now head coach at San Jose State.

While at Arizona, Ellerson was also responsible for coaching the Wildcat kickers as Sean Keel improved from making only six of 19 attempts in 1999, to making 13 of 17 tries in 2000, ranking him third in the Pac-10 with 1.18 field goals per game.

In February 1996 Ellerson became head coach at Southern Utah and, in his only season, led the I-AA Thunderbirds to a 4-7 record, an improvement over the program’s 2-9 season in 1995.

Prior to that, Ellerson was a four-year defensive line coach at Arizona (1992-95) with defensive coordinator Larry MacDuff from 1992-95. The Wildcats' defensive system was ranked No. 2 against the run from 1992-93 and ranked in the top 10 in total defense all four years. He also helped improve Arizona's special teams play and coached placekicker Steve McLaughlin to the Lou Groza Award in 1994.

A 1972 graduate of Tucson's Salpointe Catholic High School, Ellerson was a center and linebacker in a four-year playing career at the University of Hawaii, from which he graduated in 1977. He served as a graduate assistant during Tomey's first year there in 1977. Ellerson was inducted into the Salpointe Catholic High School Sports Hall of Fame on Sept. 28, 2002.

Still curious how you became a Husker fan...Did you get to play against us in the Holiday Bowl?

I have always been a Husker fan, my entire life, not sure what turned me on to them. Yes I did play against NU in the Holiday Bowl.

The "Fire BC" rants are completely ridiculous and have no validity to them. Bring another coach and we'll be in even worse shape than we are now. We have an awesome recruiting class coming in, had an excellent one coming in last year, and the offense is a very solid offense. It's easy to oversee the good when you have your own anti-Callahan agenda like some do on these boards.

I respect your opinion but he hasn't made much out of his recruits so far. Please tell me what reasons you see for him being the only coach for NU. You stated that another coach and we'll be in even worse shape. How do you figure? Are you saying any coach or any coach that would come to NU?

Curious as to your reasons you think we can only have 8-9 wins a year after 4 years and give up 610 yds to Ball St regardless of who he had replace him. I am not saying he deserves to be fired but the evidence is more against him than for him. I would like to hear your evidence of why he is the best we can get and how he is doing a good job.

I have no problem with Callahan right now. If he was to not do anything about the defensive problem by the end of the year then I will be a little miffed. <_<

I'm sorry, BRI, but I just don't see any reason why Cally would replace Coz..There's just not a good enough reason for him to do that to his friend...Especially after his contract extension.

If Ped puts any pressure on him or fires him, he gets paid anyway for a couple seasons and can always go be an assistant in the NFL if he feels the need to keep busy.

Occasionally, He has shown tendencies that he wants to win, but I still don't think it's a priority..It's probably more fun for him to be tinkerin' with his offense and maybe make a name for himself that way.

I mean..Sure, he'd Like to win..It's just not a priority.

I have no problem with Callahan right now. If he was to not do anything about the defensive problem by the end of the year then I will be a little miffed. <_<

I'm sorry, BRI, but I just don't see any reason why Cally would replace Coz..There's just not a good enough reason for him to do that to his friend...Especially after his contract extension.

If Ped puts any pressure on him or fires him, he gets paid anyway for a couple seasons and can always go be an assistant in the NFL if he feels the need to keep busy.

Occasionally, He has shown tendencies that he wants to win, but I still don't think it's a priority..It's probably more fun for him to be tinkerin' with his offense and maybe make a name for himself that way.

I can see your point and I guess I should have put in there at the end of the season because it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of him now. I guess I hope he puts that friend stuff to the side and gets down to what is best for the football team. :hmmph

Will $$$ come into play when Cally lays a goose egg and needs the pink slip, or are we stuck with the guy for the next half-decade because we don't have the jack to pay him off?

Well, considering Callahan has yet to lay a goose egg, I'd consider this post to be ill-timed and illogically formed, at best.

I guess the question we should be posing to you is why you want to see the 'Huskers do so bad that they fire their coach? Unless you've got a personal grudge/vendetta against the coaches and AD, you shouldn't be hoping they tank.

And if you're thinking that firing Callahan is going to magically fix things...well, perhaps you need to go get some more of that wonderful TexAss education they've got down here and learn some football. :rant

I am assuming you need to learn football also since you want to criticize someone for asking if Cally's extension will keep him from getting fired anytime soon. Don't attack someone else's ability to understand the game unless they call Lucky a center and Keller a linebacker.

No--it's apparent you and your friend have no time to learn anything about football since you're busy spewing venom and focusing on your anti-Bill Callahan slant.

Your ignorance is what is bringing this program down, bottom line. Do the rest of 'Husker Nation a favor and go root for someone else--you have no idea what it is to be a Nebraska fan, and people like yourself that don't want to see our kids succeed are some of the lowest scum on God's green Earth.

I hear Colorado could use a few fans like yourself...

You have no idea who you are talking to and how much I understand this game. Do your homework about me before you talk about me. Ever wear shoulder pads outside of 8 man ball?

I want us to win every game...you don't know anything about my views.

You're right--I don't know you from Adam or Eve (or Steve, if that's the way you go). All I have to go on is the tripe that you and your cohorts have been spreading around as of late.

I guess you reap what you sow...

Then please help me understand because nobody on this board has given me evidence to the contrary.... What has Bill Callahan done to show he can win 10+ games a year consistently with NU?

Please be specific and site accurate information and a deep understanding of the game.

What--so we can waste time on a close-minded idiot that can't see the forest for the trees.

And if you know anything about debate, the burden of proof is on the negative, not the affirmative. So far, all I've seen from you is a lousy website that you whore out in every thread and a strong case for having you sterilized to protect the gene pool of actual Nebraska fans.

What? You can't prove a negative. I can't prove that I don't have drugs in my car, but if I do, it's easy to prove that i do by finding them.

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I was also making a reference to Carrol be he has the opportunity to pick from some of the best athletes in the nation right from California, he mainly doesnt even have to go outside of his own state to recruit. The same goes for Florida and the same goes for Texas. How many times can we just say ok we arent going to recruit outside of Nebraska? For your information I have been playing football since I could walk and been watching/studying football for quite a while as well. You say that i would understand the opinions of others better? What opinons the ones that have no backup or sense to them at all? I want him fired...why.....I dont know he is not a good coach i dont like him....good thought process. What stats are you going by? This years stats, last years, his first year? Are you even taking into account the progress they have made over the last four years? What are our offensive rankings this year? I would imagine they are pretty good. Also name me one situation where a coach came into a program with very very few talented players and totally changed the offense and made it work to a conference or national championship in less than four years. I am not talking about taking an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time and change it to 50% of the time rather an offense that goes from running a completely different offense. Brian Billick? First of all the one super bowl he won his offense sucked!!! Second a monkey could have won the super bowl with the talent he had on defense. Embarrased, are you talking about the beatings we took from Penn st. Iowa st. K-St, colorado, texas, missouri before callahan got here. ya I guess youre right its best to lose by 40 and not recruit the best talent in the nation, lets stick to Iowa and Nebraska. I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Well you are off base because I have given endless stats and examples of Cally mis-guiding this team.

I played QB at AZ during the 90's, coached there, coach as ass. OC at a DII school and coached QB clinics at ASU for people like SAM KELLER!!!

Comparing Devaney stats of any kind or even TO stats is pointless. And Devaney turned it around quicker. BC has only improved our passing game, every other offensive area is worse. Our record isn't better which matters most and our defense is non-existent. I want him fired so we don't delay the inevitable and we try to move beyond this crap sooner rather than later. I have a lot of stats on this board. LOOK AROUND!

How'd we get so fortunate?

It wasn't meant for you so move on. Go brush your tooth. Correct that grammar!

It must be hard being you and trying to convince everyone else your as superior as you think you are.

Wow, you ask him a question about his credentials, he replies, and the best response you have are some sarcastic one-liners? Why bother?

I can see your point and I guess I should have put in there at the end of the season because it wouldn't be a good idea to get rid of him now. I guess I hope he puts that friend stuff to the side and gets down to what is best for the football team. :hmmph

I think this is the 1st post that I read tonight that DIDN't say that..(Redundant if put in EVERY post)

Maybe the pollmeister should have a 3 part poll on that if there hasn't already been a few on it.

A) fire in the next few sec.

2) fire @ season end

last) keeper

To me, when that one guy we had coaching (I won't mention his name for fear of getting pounced on by 1 or 2 factions here) started turning on his assistants to save his job, I lost the remaining respect I had for him.

I'm not as attached to Calihan's assistants, but still, pretty Mechickensht of him.

Maybe the AZ mildcats that are begging for a WCO can take the whole staff if they decide to rotate Stupes out.